Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #1

Teflon plate on hitch, not kingpin

I have the 10 inch round teflon disk for my 5th wheel. I am on my second one in the last year. The first one I bought wouldn't stay on the camper, each time I would un-hitch, it fell, it seemed warped and I couldn't put it back on until we were done camping for the weekend. If I tried, it was so loose and would just fall off. By the time it sat all weekend, it would go on again, and then repeat.

I bought a new teflon disk... actually 2 of them as I was worried about loosing one at the campground, so I wanted a spare. This one has lasted me substantially longer, probably since last November, but it's starting to show the same symptoms. When I un-hitch, I have a 50/50 chance it will fall in the bed of the truck. Whether it does or not, it's very warped.

I saw on the internet a picture of a hitch where the teflon plates were mounted right on the hitch. That sounds like a better solution, but I can't find info anywhere. Does anyone here know what I am speaking of, and where they can be found? I am using a Reese 16K double pivot (if I'm explaining it right) 5th wheel hitch.

Thanks for the knowledge.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Double pivot?
Do you mean a sidewinder?
If so you DON'T need a disk for a sidewinder.
I truly believe you don't need one for a normal hitch imo.
Ron

Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #3

I’m not quite sure what you mean by double pivot either. Regardless, the Teflon plate should last you at the very minimum a full season. The one I left on the Wildcat I traded in this year was four years old. My hitch is a Reese 16k slider.

I wonder if your hitching and unhitching procedure is putting so much stress on the plate that it is damaging the teeth of the plate causing it to loosen.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #4

Not a sidewinder, When I said double pivot, I meant all 5th wheel hitches pivot from front to back, and then some pivot also from side to side. Mine pivots front to back (as all do) and side to side.

Here is a link to a hitch, NOT my hitch, but a link that shows a hitch with teflon plates on the hitch itself. This is what I am interested in finding.

Google Image Result for http://images.craigslist.org/5E45Hf5M93La3Id3J9c6i583bf69d8090111d.jpg
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #5

I was having the same problem, learned from a tech to take a hammer to the part of the disk that attaches to the pin. Just lay the disk flat on the ground and hammer the fingers. I thought he was FOS until I tried it. I hit the fingers of the disk a few times and had to struggle to get the plate back on. Hasn't dropped off in nearly a year now.
Worth a shot....
Bob
Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #6

Here's another link. I found a post from 2009 on a Dodge Diesel forumn and someone was talking about them. I can tell in this picture, this is a Husky hitch, which I don't think they make anymore.... but I am not thinking it's only for a certain hitch, I think they just have to be found somewhere.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...v/DSCN0861.jpg

I will try pounding on my 10" plate though like 4X4man suggested.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Would it work to put grease between the plate and the king pin? This will allow it to rotate but yet the grease is a little sticky so it will hold plate on when unhitching.

My plate falls off too. I want to try this sometime soon....

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Try putting tapered screws in it.