Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #1

That Big Sucking Feeling

Hopefully, one or two of you have experienced this and can offer some advice on how to handle it or at least prepare for the consequences. When being overtaken by a big rig on an interstate or multi lane road I feel like my entire unit is being worked over by a giant vacuum cleaner. TV and TT move as one unit so I don't notice any sway, but I am very uncomfortable for those few seconds it takes the rig to get around me. Sometimes I think I've moved a foot or more toward the big monster trying to inhale me and mine. Any suggestions would be appreciated (other than shooting a tire... that's already crossed my mind, but I don't think that would be wise).
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
It happens...
All that air has got to go somewhere. Unfortunately, it will can shove around the lighter vehicle a bit. I always tell people to keep the speed down when towing. I know, the semi passes you then at a higher rate of speed...sometimes it's even worse!

Here would be my tips:
Keep your vehicle within the limits of it's towing capacity.
Always load the trailer/weight correctly.
Watch your mirrors to prepare.
Move as far to the right as you can, staying in your lane.
Be prepared with the brakes/or brake controller switch
Avoid traveling interstates, or at times of heavy travel.
Avoid distractions...like cell phones, and keep both hands on the wheel.

Good luck!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:43 AM   #3

Nothing I have tried has made a difference. My 25' trailer was just as bad as my current 32 ft trailer. THe dual cam setup is the same as the Equal-i-zer. Speed seems to make no difference (my speed).

I agree 100%, it is disconcerting. I have asked many Hensley owners if the Arrow helps and all of them replied with a unanamous "YES!" So, that is next on the list of things to try. I know $3k is a lot, but worth the reduced stress. Resale on those Hensley's is outstanding.

Tom
tomhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #4

whats a hensley arrow?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #5

Unless a Hensley can ignore the laws of physics, I don't see where it would react any better than the other WD Anti-Sway systems in this situation.
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
Old 02-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

I've heard these tips may help:

1. Keep your speed down so that you are easier to pass. The big rig will pass you more quickly. (Go ahead and get it over with, sort of)

2. As the passing truck approaches, step on the gas and ride the brake controller override at the same time. (Don't use the TV brakes) This puts a kind of tension on your set up. Imagine a pendulum, a heavy pendulum is harder to get moving...the braking action makes your trailer, the pendulum, "heavier."

3. And always keep an eye on your mirrors so that you are not taken by surprise.

Radio

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #7

i have found when pulling the tt or the fiver, its always better to be the overtaker vice the overtakee. But this is not always the case and i to have gone white knuckled a few times as i felt all 50 plus feet get drawn in towards the big rig.
i have found a CB radio helps just to say out loud to the truck you know he's there and he has a clear go ahead, that way both of yall are at least aware what each other is thinking, most truckers aprecaite ot say thanks, some are complete donkey rears and blow you off.

when no communication is possible, i to try to stay far right to the edge of the lane but NEVER go in the emergency lane, its just to full of stuff that likes to eat RV tires or has grooves to compound the slight "out of control" feeling

i have also found, even though it pizzzes me off some
is to slack off the throttle some as they aproach to help em sling shot past and minimize the hairy pull moments.

I also try to tow at least the posted speed limit... except if it is posted 70 i run 65-68,
funny thing is the truck likes to pull at 75 but i get nervy and have flash backs of blown tires and smoke.

one more thingy, when i get in places like atlanta which have 4-6 lanes of traffic i stay in the 3rd lane, why you ask
well the the far left is the haul tail lane, the inner two righties are for the DUMMIEs that forget their exit is coming up and like to do those swerves in front of you and exit.
so if i stay in the thrid lane it minimizes those frantic braking incidents and still lets traffic move while i travel at a safer speed, while i am a less of a navigational hazard.

hope it helps.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #8

I notice this a lot less pulling a 5er.
2002 F-250 Super-duty
Woody 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #9

Not a big deal just anticipate that when a big rig passes you that you will be sucked over about foot towards the rig, so if you see him coming move over to the right about a foot and all is fine.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:55 AM   #10

Now I have been told different, I was told to increase and stay to the right as far as possible. This has worked. It helps reduce the push from the semi as he is just gets to the rear of the TT, if you slow down the push is greater because of his speed, if your speed and his are almost equal, then it's greatly reduced. But of course the speed has to be reasonable, not at 70, 80, 90, or even 100.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #11
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
if your speed and his are almost equal,
If your speed and his are almost equal, then how does he get around?

Seems this aerodynamic wrestling match would go on much longer than you'd like.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 AM   #12

Good point, but if you are doing 55mph and he/she is doing 56mph or more, he/she will pass you. the faster he/she go's the more push there is.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #13

Here's the link to Hensley. The video (free) showed up about 5 days after I signed up. They advertise 60 day full refund, and a lifetime warranty. If I had 3k to play with on a daily basis I might try it out.

http://www.hensleymfg.com/
UMHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #14

And here's another discussion on another site on the Arrow:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/15531727.cfm
UMHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #15

As I said in an above post, unless the Hensley is oblivious to the laws of physics, it will not be any better than another brand and design for this particular problem. As far as quoting something off rv.net, use caution in what you believe if you read it there. Some would probably claim that a Hensley will prevent Chinese made tires from malfunctioning. It wouldn't surprise me. Not downing the Hensley, it's just that I still believe sliced bread was a great invention.
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #16

Hensley

The Hensley does not defy the laws of physics, it has different laws of physics due to the entirely different connection between the TV and TT. The physics of the device make the TV and TT feel as though they are one.
Needless to say, I have not had a problem in high winds, or with Semi's passing.

Gear:02' Jeep Grand Cherokee, K&N FIPKII Intake, Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust, Jet Computer Chip Stage II.
07' Rockwood 2701SS
Hensley Arrow Hitch
TruControl Brake Controller
Score: Wife, 2 Kids: 2yr Son, 6Mo Daughter Hobbies: Camping, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Snow Boarding.
Santa Barbara, CA.
JOHND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #17

I had a hensley ( now for sale), upgraded from a standard wd hitch, it was wonderful, I bought it after I had my trailer sway due to a gust of wind and I was even slow at the time, I was towing a 12,000 lb tt with my F-250 at the time. i was able to tow in some winds that I was previously afraid to tow in (still uncomfortable in the though) with out sway the whole rig moved as one. In case you ask why it is for sale I now have a 5er.

2006 F250 6.0 Harley Edition
2008 Cedar Creek Day Dreamer
Keith and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #18

jmeyers
"Unless a Hensley can ignore the laws of physics, I don't see where it would react any better than the other WD Anti-Sway systems in this situation."

I`ve said the same thing for years! with my DC it holds the TV and TT as one unit. you can feel the bow wave effect, but I have no sway.

And BTW your right about even mentioning the HA and RV.net in the same sentence! scarry.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:09 AM   #19

I get sucked in pretty good too. What I have found that works the best is just watching the mirrors and knowing about where the "main" wave hits. Then I start drifting to the right, then the truck comes by and literrally stops the "drift" and all is back to driving normal. It works, you just need to pay attention. As others have said, just take your time, enjoy the ride, stay right and let them go by.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #20

Just remember you are not driving a car, the game is different. You are aware of the problem, anticipate, react and continue on. Or you could buy a big rig.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote