Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 07:35 PM   #61

SmileTwice— I towed TTs to 34’ with the Equalizer 4 point for over two decades. I still have it to move elderly friends TT to and from their seasonal site. I quit tracking at 52k miles without a sway. Now I have a 17k 5er, my 4th 5er. Nothing like hitching or unhitching a 5er and towing is a dream.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:44 PM   #62

CaptnJohn, one day when I grow up I’m gonna get the 5th wheel. But gonna have to move up to the 1 ton when that day comes. My 3/4 won’t be enough. I have to have more margin. I know hooking and unhooking is so much easier plus I want the leveling system.
2011 F250 2WD 6.7L Crew 3:35
Husky Centerline
reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #63

Glad you found an answer to your problem.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #64

I had an Excursion that was running stock sized tires and stock suspension. I towed a 24' enclosed car trailer and a 27' Starcraft Travel Trailer. I used a Reese weight distributing hitch with no sway bars and both trailers towed rock solid without a bit of sway. I also made sure that both trailers sat dead level while sitting on the ball. If the ball was high, I've had other trailers really have some serious stability problems.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #65

After reading this entire thread twice, all I am getting is that the OP doesn’t feel safe towing his TT with his current TV, and for very good reason. I don’t believe there is a hitch setup out there that will make any SIGNIFICANT difference in this case. I am however impressed with the civility of this entire conversation. Forest River Forums members are always extremely civil and helpful compared to some other RV forums. Thanks for that.
Jbrowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

So I am done. I am chucking the Reese in the garbage (craigslist) and I'm gonna get me either a Hensley or Pro-Pride 3P. I'm talking to a member here on his used Hensley, but I think like the pro-pride better. I look back and think if, during one of the severe sway episodes, I was not good enough or lucky enough to catch it, the result would have made the $3K the Pro-pride costs look like pocket change.

Tim

Go with the ProPride, they have the best customer service in the industry. If you run into a problem installing it, or on the road the owner himself will help you out. I switched from an Equalizer 3 to a ProPride and it's the best money I've ever spent. No more white knuckle passing semis. In fact. one finger on the wheel is enough to control your rig.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:16 PM   #67

Reese WDH

I'm towing a 12K 32' toyhauler with a 2016 Super Duty. Using a Reese WDH . Stock Michlen tires , no lift.
Only time I have a problem is with a strong crosswind.
When you went to the heavier unit, did you upgrade the bars
gjprace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:55 PM   #68

We tow our 27' toy hauler with a F250 diesel. We use the anti-sway bar and DH had air bags installed (with a built-in compressor with controller mounted on the dash. He says that you don't even know that the camper is there (unlike the previous F150.
bhunt2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:17 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
Interesting. My Blue Ox is solid as a rock.

I’m sure your blue ox is pretty rock solid and definitely great, but once you tow with a Hensley or propride you realize there’s a pretty big difference in handling. I never really knew what sway was 100% or what exactly I was feeling. With the Hensley I also feel a big difference in hard braking in turns down hills. There’s just a lot of situations where things feel so much better. It’s hard to explain until you tow with one.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:27 AM   #70

That's it. I'm done messing about..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post
First off, a ProPride hitch USER here, not someone who looks at it, looks at the price, and thinks its a waste. I dont need to try and sell you on the Propride since i see you already ordered it, great! I researched and talked with both companies before dropping the $$$, and through design, reviews, and user input, the 3P was the easy choice. Service after the fact has been incredible.

And to the comment about a small company/single guy making it: not true. Infact most of the "negative" things about 3P are not true. I cant think of 1 negative thing the 3P has over the Arrow, but I can think of several the arrow has the 3P doesnt.

I have had an E2, Equalizer E4, installed a Andersen for a friend we camp with a lot, and also installed a Husky Centerline, and now also have my ProPride (improved Hensley).

Of all of the hitches I have ever used, my ProPride is the fastest and easiest/least amount of work on a hot summer day than any of the above. I can be backed up, hitched and on the road in a few minutes.

While I do think the trailer is certainly taxing the truck, I am also a believe that if you are within the limits of the truck, then you can tow to them. I do not believe in the stupid 80%, 75%, or even a 60% capacity rule I have heard people throw out there. AND the seat of your pants feels fine, that is what I base it on. The numbers and the feel. If its squirrelly and all over, the truck is probably not enough.

I have an F250 towing a Rockwood, 34' long, 8200# ish loaded to camp. I came from an F150 2016, max tow.

I have not towed my camper with an E4 and my F250, but I did with an F150. That was the reason I went to a ProPride hitch. Would move all over with a slight breeze. No breeze it was nice and smooth. And it was setup very well. Truck and trailer sat level, scaled for axle weights, etc.

There was a comment about the Hensley/ProPride being a band aid and covering up sway. Actually a heavy truck covers up sway. It helps to control/reduce the feel, but the trailer is and can still swaying/move behind you for whatever reason. A heavy truck doesn't prevent that. These pivot point projection hitches actually PREVENT sway. They dont cover it up or reduce it like a friction hitch. Due to the forces within the hitch, the trailer physically can not sway. These are facts. Most people who do not recommend them have never seen or used one. I do agree you need to load your trailer right but too many people think these "expensive hitches" just cover up a bad trailer and then turn around and recommend you get a $70k diesel truck. I have an HD truck due to my weights. I have 1050# TW, add the other stuff and I am over GVWR of my F150 and maxed at the rear axle, sometimes over. We decided to trade trucks and have plenty of capacity. The F150 and ProPride made towing a 34' rig about like a typical drive to work. The F250 is even more solid. This last weekend we drove into a rain storm on the interstate. Some wind, mostly rain. I slowed down of course, but was still passing other rigs moving all over the road going 45. wind/rain is mostly a non-issue with the F250/ProPride setup. We are in the midwest so its always windy. For me, the difference can me described, but most people dont believe it until they have done it.

Again, these hitches arent band aides. They prevent sway, not mask it. However yes, you still need a tow vehicle that has the capabilities for the trailer. I think they allow you to more comfortably tow up to the limits of the truck if you want. They make it safer. Because it can not physically sway, your trailer cant take control of the tow vehicle. That is the point these companies are making.

You will love the 3P hitch. You will wonder why it took you so long to get one. The cost is always the hard thing to get over, but its one and done, and will last basically forever.

Man good info, now I may have to sell my Hensley get a propride someday. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #71

I wonder if the OP had enough tongue weight. When I had a TT I was running about 14% tongue weight and the rig was very stable under all conditions. Hitch was a Blue Ox.
irishtom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #72
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtom29 View Post
I wonder if the OP had enough tongue weight. When I had a TT I was running about 14% tongue weight and the rig was very stable under all conditions. Hitch was a Blue Ox.
While I have yet to drag it across the scales, I'm gonna say "yes" for 3 reasons. #1 is all the crap my wife has in the front bedroom. In her eyes, a empty drawer is an abomination. #2 is that I took one of the twin recliners in the very back out of the camper. Its too snug back there to really use both. It's just the two of us, and she prefers to sit in the couch anyway. And #3, I have experienced a light-tongue wobble before. It's hard to explain, but it's a totally different feeling compared to what I felt.

Funny thing is, we have a truck scale at my work. For a while we were only running 5-day a week ops and I had no end of opportunity to take it up there on a Saturday and scale it every which way you can think of. Now, that I really really really want to scale it, we are running 24/7. We load trucks right on the scale, so I'd have to interrupt loading ops to scale it (hint: that ain't gonna happen). I'm hoping for a light Saturday soon. The truck drivers tend to run in packs, and we might load a group of 5 and send them out, and it will be a hour or two before they get back for more.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #73

Quote:
While I have yet to drag it across the scales, I'm gonna say "yes"......
Seriously, you don't know until you know. Take it over a scale and see where you're at before claiming:
1. Your current hitch is garbage and a new one is needed.
2. Everything is weighted properly.

How do you know things are properly weighted if you're not using a scale?

Not having a preference in which hitch you use, but look at the axles weight prior to hitching up, after hitching up and then after applying the WD bars. This will show you how well or not the hitch is set up.

The scale doesn't lie or speculate...it provides factual data to work with and adjust your truck, hitch and trailer accordingly.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #74

IMO you need at least a 3/4 ton truck to pull that trailer!! Your tow vehicle is the problem here.

My Smoker Adventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSZsmP5X78
Use code SPdiscount to buy on Amazon
spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddiva View Post
IMO you need at least a 3/4 ton truck to pull that trailer!! Your tow vehicle is the problem here.
I thought an Excursion was 3/4 ton...

2017 Rockwood 2304KS
2017 F250 Lariat 6.2 4X4 Scab SB
ProPride 3P Hitch
Nights Camped 2016 = 31, 2017 = 59, 2018 = 79, 2019 = 78, 2020 = 50, 2021 = 61. 2022 = 84, 2023 = 68
pppitiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #76
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppitiful View Post
I thought an Excursion was 3/4 ton...
It is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddiva View Post
Your tow vehicle is the problem here.
It's not.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 08-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #77

You need a 2 ton to pull that thing!
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #78
Broken Toe

Day one of the install:

Decided to tackle the easy stuff first, and got on the sway bar and stabilizer shocks while I was fresh. Install was pretty straightforward and I had that part wrapped up by 10:30. I had just gotten all the boxes opened up and all the ProPride parts laid out when the phone started to ring. Had a major conniption at my work, and I spent a good deal of time trying to work on the hitch and help out at work at the same time.

Bad news is, I have a minor slope in my driveway, and the street outside as well. There is just no place I can go that's level that I can work on it. OK then, I will just have to pay close attention to what I am doing. Got the "stinger" for the truck sorted out straight away. Got about a 1/2" of tilt "down" on the stinger with one washer. That will be a good place to start.

Got the jacks on next. Had to go the +1.5 inches allowed to clear my LP bottles. We'll try that. If that is too far back, I'll have to move the bottle tray up so I can move the jacks up too. I wound up not using the shim plates, as they were a tad too thickor my trailer. I'll keep them, just in case. I got the yoke mount installed, and was about to mount the main hitch assembly when it became clear that I would have to go into work to sort out the problems. That pretty much put my hitch install on hold till tomorrow.

Phooey. I was hoping to take the camper out for a shakedown cruise tomorrow morning. I guess I'll have to finish up and go in the afternoon. I figure I got maybe 2 hours of wrenching left to do. Updates as they happen.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 08-04-2019, 12:42 AM   #79

Quote:
Day one of the install:

Decided to tackle the easy stuff first, and got on the sway bar and stabilizer shocks while I was fresh. Install was pretty straightforward and I had that part wrapped up by 10:30. I had just gotten all the boxes opened up and all the ProPride parts laid out when the phone started to ring. Had a major conniption at my work, and I spent a good deal of time trying to work on the hitch and help out at work at the same time.

Bad news is, I have a minor slope in my driveway, and the street outside as well. There is just no place I can go that's level that I can work on it. OK then, I will just have to pay close attention to what I am doing. Got the "stinger" for the truck sorted out straight away. Got about a 1/2" of tilt "down" on the stinger with one washer. That will be a good place to start.

Got the jacks on next. Had to go the +1.5 inches allowed to clear my LP bottles. We'll try that. If that is too far back, I'll have to move the bottle tray up so I can move the jacks up too. I wound up not using the shim plates, as they were a tad too thickor my trailer. I'll keep them, just in case. I got the yoke mount installed, and was about to mount the main hitch assembly when it became clear that I would have to go into work to sort out the problems. That pretty much put my hitch install on hold till tomorrow.

Phooey. I was hoping to take the camper out for a shakedown cruise tomorrow morning. I guess I'll have to finish up and go in the afternoon. I figure I got maybe 2 hours of wrenching left to do. Updates as they happen.

Tim

Can you please post some pics of your install and finished product? I’m curious how the it all attaches. Thx
Old 08-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #80
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
Can you please post some pics of your install and finished product? I’m curious how the it all attaches. Thx
I tell you what... The guy in this video does a much better job of covering the install than I ever could. Its a very long vid, (over an hour) but its broken down into sections. I watched the whole thing twice, and it really helped visualize the install.

https://youtu.be/4Ea5_JeTfas

Tim

"Camper" 2016