Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #1

The Seven Stages of New Vehicle Purchase

Well, I was thinking about this today, having had the new Ram 2500 for a couple of weeks. There are stages of the new vehicle buying process and, I find myself in the final stage.

The first stage comes when you're pulling a long hill and the TV shifts all the way down to 3rd and cranks 4500 rpm for 30 seconds or so... and you quote Han Solo... "Hold together, Baby!"

The second stage comes when you've crested the hill and think to yourself... "Boy, a diesel sure would do that much better..."

The third stage comes when you're perusing the internet and just happen to start looking at F-250s and Ram 2500s, and then do the "Build and Price" thingy.

The forth stage is dangerous... As you and the Minister of Finance are pulling a long hill, you broach the subject of a new tow vehicle. "Danger, Will Robinson!" Bear in mind that my lovely wife has the hardest, boniest little fists in the State of Texas... and it's a BIG state!

The fifth stage is determining how to finance this venture. Luckily, I don't owe anyone for anything, so the Minister of Finance couldn't whip me too bad... Your mileage may vary...

The sixth stage is driving and selecting the vehicle, and getting through all the dealer's BS and whining about how much money they're losing... that's a good one!

I have finally entered the seventh stage... That's the... "Oh CRAP! Did I really just write a check THAT BIG!?!?!" stage... That one kind of hit me today.

I am still in danger... my topper is ordered so I have one more check to write... If it comes in later this week, I might get to see it next Wednesday. That's about how long it will take for the swelling around my eyes to go down...

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #2

Very well written thread that hit all 7 levels of my "funny bone"!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The eighth stage is the massive smile you get when towing and the DW realizes she can still listen to the radio or talk to you without having to fight over that engine.

The ninth stage is when you and the minister of finance realize how much better fuel mileage is when towing.

The tenth stage is when towing becomes so easy for you, you have to remind yourself to slow down when towing. Also the mandatory beer when setting up camp is now optional as you are no longer stressed over the trip.

Sadly next comes stage 11. This is also referred to back at one as this is where everything starts over. You realize you have enough truck for more trailer. You look at bigger/heavier trailers. Buy the new trailer. Now the TV is not enough again so you talk about a 3500 diesel.

Yup I'm in stage 15 or is 20 (i lost count). We just brought home the bigger trailer for the 3500 diesel. we got the 3500 to replace the F250 diesel so we could get the bigger trailer we fell in love with while looking for a bigger trailer that was 3/4 ton compatible. I'm hoping to stay here for quite some time. We will see

Enjoy your new 2500 and the stages of happiness it brings!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #4

You need stage 8....the one where the truck you got aint enough for the trailer the (finance manager/dw/towta/happiness determiner of the house) wants to upgrade to next!! :-/ lol
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Nice write up...the gasser community are in the perpetual stage 1 and 2, nauseating! LOL

Old 07-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #6

The boating people have a name for this - it's called "two foot-itis."

As soon as you buy one boat, you want one 2 ft longer.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote