Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Calculating gas mileage manually is less accurate than with the trip computer. Typically , after the gas pumps shuts off, you can still stuff an extra couple of gallons in the tank. How do you really know how much gas is in the tank.

Wow, that was a big statement.. Now the feedback.
It don't matter how you look at it. You could only put a half tank of fuel in. As long as you write down how many miles and how many gallons you pump it still will give you your MPG. I'll tell you what you can do. Put 5 gallon of fuel in the back of the truck. Turn your "miles to empty" on you display on and drive around and watch it. Compare it to the miles that you are driving. Run it all the way to "0". I bet you can still run another 20-30 miles. I've done it by mistake a few times. My truck shows around 13-14 mpg towing my rig. I get 11-11.5 in real life. I watch my gauge and constantly try to get it to read a little better as I'm driving. I have a speed that I like to run and that is usually with traffic if it's busy and I don't really care what I get, but I always try to drive to where I get the best fuel mileage at that particular speed. It is what it is.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #202
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
My combo. To the weight police, YES, I have weights. In fact I've weighed now several times. YES I am OK on EVERY rating. A 5'r and 1/2 tonne combo can be done and can be done within weight ratings. My truck is a HD Payload + Max Tow. Reese 16K manual slider hitch. The weights are also taken loaded with about 1/3 tank of FW, normal cargo in the 5'r and my Champ generator in the bed of the truck where it lives. In other words weighed as I normally travel.
Looks good. I'll admit that I'm surprised you can tow within all of your ratings- but, I will say, the new F150 with the EcoBoost engine and options have some pretty impressive numbers. I don't think I've ever said it can't be done, but more that I think it's quite more challenging to ensure you're within ratings when the "usual" 1/2-ton trucks out there. But, like others on the thread have said- to each his own, I know not everyone believes you should stay within the ratings.

That said- I do think it's a great exercise for people to get weighed. It's a cheap exercise ($12 at a CAT scale) and only takes 15-20 minutes - tops. Even if I chose to overload my truck (and I may actually get close to my GVWR depending on how much firewood I take and what I put in the truck bed)- I'd rather know the actual numbers. But, I'm a data analyst and enjoy the geeky side of things.

About the only thing that riles my feathers are statements of "I'm under all of my ratings. I've never weighed, but I'm sure of it." But that applies no matter what size truck you have- from a Tacoma to a 450. (I'm not intentionally singling out Cousin Eddy- I've heard it here and many other times online and even in real life. It just so happens to fit this conversation. My apologies to CZNEDY.) As was said- anything can be overloaded. If you haven't weighed, you're just guessing. Maybe you don't care - but just say that.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #203
Camper Less Camping

We done yet guys on this topic (14 pages)...let's GEAUX camping! ,)

Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #204

ependydad, I agree. Even back in my days of towing a Pop Up I weighed my combo. Back then it was more for S & G, but I did so anyway. When I moved up to a TT I also kept up the practice of weighing at several points throughout the season. I am relatively lucky in that there are several MTO scales near where I often tow that I can use for free. It only takes 5 minutes or so, so why not?

Now that my gear is pretty much set on the new 5'r and truck I'll go back and weigh again at a CAT scale and get updated tickets. It's not only a safety thing for me (which of course is paramount), it is a belt and suspenders thing. I've paid a small fortune for my truck and trailer combo and the last thing I need is mechanical breakdown caused by overloading or to give either Ford or Prime Time reason to deny any claims because of overloading. In my TT I did have axle issues and the default response of Lippert was "overloading". Well, I had my weights, I was able to prove that was NOT the case.

The default response when it comes to 5'r + 1/2 tonne is often "it cannot be done within weight limits", or "it is not safe" etc. Well, that is simply and utterly wrong. Are some of the combos out there completely out of whack in terms of weight, yup. Of course this is true for a huge amount of much larger truck + 5'r combos also, but sometimes it seems they get a pass. IMHO they should be held to the same standards as us in a 1/2 tonne.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My combo. To the weight police, YES, I have weights. In fact I've weighed now several times. YES I am OK on EVERY rating. A 5'r and 1/2 tonne combo can be done and can be done within weight ratings. My truck is a HD Payload + Max Tow. Reese 16K manual slider hitch. The weights are also taken loaded with about 1/3 tank of FW, normal cargo in the 5'r and my Champ generator in the bed of the truck where it lives. In other words weighed as I normally travel.
Good to see that you weighed it...always a good practice. Your F150 HD also has about 1000 lbs of payload more than most other 1/2 T pick-ups and that needs to pointed out. I would have wanted your pick-up if I hadn't already bought the F250 V10.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Old 06-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #206

Dave, you are right in that my truck does have a significantly higher payload and in fact I did mention it my post (well not specifically the payload, but the option set that my truck has). I am active on a number of forums and it has caught many off guard when I post what the payload actually is.. It's no accident that I have this truck, many many months of research went into it and I am very fortunate to have a number of friends with a great deal of knowledge on the subject which went a long way.

Putting in the research BEFORE you buy is key in my opinion. All too often you see examples of people jumping in with both feet first and then either trying to self justify the mis-match in truck + trailer, or spending a small fortune to try and compensate for it.

Both my truck and trailer were ordered. I am extremely happy with how the pair tow and overall we hope to have many great years of happy trips in them (well we better otherwise we might end up living in them)...

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #207
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
When I bought a diesel I was under no illusions that it would pay for itself with fuel savings. I will save some on fuel, but additional maintenance costs will likely offset that. The fact that I can pull hills at 1600 RPM as opposed to 3200 RPM was worth it to me. Total revolutions is what wears an engine, not miles. If you tow regularly and have to run at much higher RPMs, your engine will see much more wear for a given number of miles.
That arguement is way old and does not hold true with todays engines at all. Not only that I would wager a modern engine like my 6.2 would last as long as say your diesel's requirement for a full injector service and that service alone would cost more than a new long block for my truck. I just don't understand why people need to justify what they bought. You bought a diesel and like it, me I would never own one for many reasons that I don't need to justify to anyone. Everyone knows if your towing heavy all the time get a diesel and blah blah blah. Oh and some of us happen to like the sound of a V8 at 3k or more (you should hear the 460 in my Cougar at 6500)

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #208
Always Learning

Quote:
The default response when it comes to 5'r + 1/2 tonne is often "it cannot be done within weight limits", or "it is not safe" etc. Well, that is simply and utterly wrong. Are some of the combos out there completely out of whack in terms of weight, yup. Of course this is true for a huge amount of much larger truck + 5'r combos also, but sometimes it seems they get a pass. IMHO they should be held to the same standards as us in a 1/2 tonne.
We're in complete agreement.

As for the statement of "let's get camping" - I CANNOT WAIT! Need to get my camper back from the dealer for warranty stuff, but the trips are scheduled and we soon ramp off into our summer of travelling..

Anything controversial about hiring a lawn mower guy? If so, I'll start a thread and we can discuss for 200 posts there, too!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #209

Why not start a coke v pepsi, or rye v scotch thread.. At least that would be a topic worthwhile debating.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 06-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
That arguement is way old and does not hold true with todays engines at all. Not only that I would wager a modern engine like my 6.2 would last as long as say your diesel's requirement for a full injector service and that service alone would cost more than a new long block for my truck. I just don't understand why people need to justify what they bought. You bought a diesel and like it, me I would never own one for many reasons that I don't need to justify to anyone. Everyone knows if your towing heavy all the time get a diesel and blah blah blah. Oh and some of us happen to like the sound of a V8 at 3k or more (you should hear the 460 in my Cougar at 6500)
You justify what you bought and then stated you don't know why people do that. I agree about the longevity of your 6.2 as long as you aren't pulling loaded everyday. No one that knows engines is gonna believe that you can get the same life from one running 3200 regularly versus 1600, though. Note that I say "regularly." I'll wager that no one that owns a diesel will get a "full injector service" at whatever that requirement is, either. Not sure why you bring up cost and argue with me when I clearly state that from a cost stand point, and specifically maintenance issues, a gasser will be cheaper by far. I happen to like the sound of a roaring V8, too. You should have heard my built 390 Ford FE at 6500 RPM's. But I didn't really care to hear the scream of a gasser everytime I hit a little nose wind or pulled even a slight incline for hours on end.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #211

Quote:

Leave it to another Newfie to put things straight. Well said my friend. Your point cannot be argued. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #212
Site Team

Quote:
Why not start a coke v pepsi, or rye v scotch thread.. At least that would be a topic worthwhile debating.
X2!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #213
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post

Leave it to another Newfie to put things straight. Well said my friend. Your point cannot be argued. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.
Too easy, Amish made root beer.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #214

If we're going to end this thread is an appropriate cousin Eddie does it
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Closed Thread