Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #101

Everyone catch that integrity lesson??? Let's hope religion or politics isn't the next soap box. Great discussion!! We should keep it on the topic and not get personal or preachy.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #102

Well the problem is when you put others in danger. A trailer that's too heavy in a lighter duty truck is a disaster waiting to happen.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #103

This has been, by far, the most civil 1/2 ton + fiver discussion I have ever seen on either forum.

Good job guys!

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #104
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecodys View Post
This has been, by far, the most civil 1/2 ton + fiver discussion I have ever seen on either forum.

Good job guys!

Bill
X2
Old 06-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #105
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
Well the problem is when you put others in danger. A trailer that's too heavy in a lighter duty truck is a disaster waiting to happen.
So you need to set the parameters as to what is dangerous. 5# over the lawyer's sticker, 10#, 100#, 200? Where is the danger, truck frame breaking? Let's establish what the danger is to others by disregarding a lawyer sticker.
Everyone, including owners of the big trucks, needs to be cognizant that when pulling any rv or driving an rv that they cannot stop like a regular vehicle and should drive accordingly trying to anticipate any situation that would require stopping. In my opinion those pulling or driving an rv 75+ are the ones putting others in danger more than someone 300# over a lawyer sticker. JMO.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #106
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

So you need to set the parameters as to what is dangerous. 5# over the lawyer's sticker, 10#, 100#, 200? Where is the danger, truck frame breaking? Let's establish what the danger is to others by disregarding a lawyer sticker.
Everyone, including owners of the big trucks, needs to be cognizant that when pulling any rv or driving an rv that they cannot stop like a regular vehicle and should drive accordingly trying to anticipate any situation that would require stopping. In my opinion those pulling or driving an rv 75+ are the ones putting others in danger more than someone 300# over a lawyer sticker. JMO.
Agreed..
Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #107
Resident Masshole

Quote:
x3
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
Old 06-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #108

Well put OldCoot. It just plain amazes me how many posts I read that say "It hauled fine at 75 etc". Dangerous, plain dangerous. Especially those running with tires not rated at that speed. A blowout at that speed will be a bloody disaster.

I also agree the discussion has definitely went well thus far, we just need more rv.net overlords here...

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Personally, I don't want to be the "Poster Child;" be my guest.

Our local police set up a weight check station on a local road and was pulling over every truck and trailer that went by. I did see two lawn service trailers in the lot, but no travel trailers.

Integrity means coming to a full stop at a stop sign even when no one is looking and there is no traffic; JUST BECAUSE IT IS RIGHT.

NOT because you will be caught.

Integrity can not be taught; you either have it or you don't.
It was a lesson the military had to learn the hard way.

The TQM initiative failed because of it.
Herk,

I always appreciate your insight, but I have to ask for clarification here. Surely you aren't meaning to equate legality with integrity. If that is the case we could discuss Nazi Germany or Communist China. I'd also like to point out that, to my knowledge, there is no federal law requiring motorists to abide by a light truck's published ratings. In some areas this may be the case, but one might be legal in one state or city and illegal in the next. I happen to think it is "unfair", for lack of a better word, to judge one's integrity by whether or not one is able to follow 100% to a tee the convoluted web of laws one might encounter when traveling. This speaks not only to weight but also length, speed, and....etc. I do agree that a person with integrity will attempt to obey laws as long as there is no objection of conscience. But I find it a stretch to apply that same litmus test to a sticker on the door of a truck that assumes a host of unknown values to be able to arrive at it's published rating in the first place.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #110

Quote:
I agree. I'd much rather be on the road with someone dragging their RV with a 500# overloaded truck at 60 as opposed to one running 500# under at 70.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I agree. I'd much rather be on the road with someone dragging their RV with a 500# overloaded truck at 60 as opposed to one running 500# under at 70.
What about someone that is over and running 75? I just wanted to post something because some said earlier that we should have our trucks in our siggy and yes I've been known to run 75 when the time called for it to be safer than running 65. He!! I've been over 85 loaded.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #112
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
...Integrity can not be taught; you either have it or you don't...
Have to disagree with this Lou, I believe integrity is taught by your parents and their setting the example and the individual then makes the decision to either be a person of integrity or something else.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you stated. As for the TQM, we saw it fail a lot when dealing with some suppliers to Lockheed Martin. That was one of my tasks to visit and audit suppliers QA systems giving them only a weeks notice. Not enough time to "fix the records". They soon found out what a major hit in the purse it was when they lost their integrity and were left with 1/2-1 million in product not suitable for shipping due to 'doctored records'.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #113
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
What about someone that is over and running 75? I just wanted to post something because some said earlier that we should have our trucks in our siggy and yes I've been known to run 75 when the time called for it to be safer than running 65. He!! I've been over 85 loaded.
Don't know of anytime towing/driving an rv when it is safer at 75 or over 85 than it is at 60-65. Over 70 is questionable, over 85 is insanity.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #114

Quote:
Well for one Breaking ability. 3/4ton and 1 ton trucks have bigger disc breaks. This is fact despite what Toyota says.

Frame Strength. 3/4 - 1 ton frames are stronger.

Bolts alone in suspension parts are also bigger.

Front Suspension is also of beefier quality and stiffer which helps for swerving out of dangers.

All of the above will come into play when you have to break a quicker stop, swerve out of the way of oncoming dangers, the ability to keep a larger heavier trailer going straight.

Not to mention 3/4-1 ton trucks have full floating axles which will keep your tires on if your rear axle breaks.

And just because one may drive safe with their overloaded truck/trailer combo doesn't mean the unexpected can't happen.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 06-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #115
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
...And just because one may drive safe with their overloaded truck/trailer combo doesn't mean the unexpected can't happen.
As the unexpected can also happen to 3/4T trucks up to and including Macks, Peterbilts, Freightliners, trains & planes. Life itself is a gamble. So we just have to each go our separate ways and suffer the consequences of our decisions. Bottom line, enjoy your rig and camping. Life is too short anyway.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #116

Quote:
Herk,

I always appreciate your insight, but I have to ask for clarification here. Surely you aren't meaning to equate legality with integrity. If that is the case we could discuss Nazi Germany or Communist China. I'd also like to point out that, to my knowledge, there is no federal law requiring motorists to abide by a light truck's published ratings. In some areas this may be the case, but one might be legal in one state or city and illegal in the next. I happen to think it is "unfair", for lack of a better word, to judge one's integrity by whether or not one is able to follow 100% to a tee the convoluted web of laws one might encounter when traveling. This speaks not only to weight but also length, speed, and....etc. I do agree that a person with integrity will attempt to obey laws as long as there is no objection of conscience. But I find it a stretch to apply that same litmus test to a sticker on the door of a truck that assumes a host of unknown values to be able to arrive at it's published rating in the first place.
Well said, Dustman.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Old 06-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
WOW, you guys are brutal!
Sorry about that- If it works for you and you feel safe doing so then go for it. Its really about a matter of personal choice. I am pretty conservative when it comes to safety issues especially with my family. I agree with others here...and have made a few comments about some of the excessive speeds I have seen fellow RV'ers travel at. It really really bothers me when I see these things with kids bikes hanging off the back. Towing overloaded and being cautious I would assume is much safer than being in specs with a 35' TT at 75MPH behind a Tahoe.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #118
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Surely you aren't meaning to equate legality with integrity. ... I do agree that a person with integrity will attempt to obey laws as long as there is no objection of conscience.
Integrity is doing what is right when no one is looking. A person who obeys the law and follows the rules (I agree - provided it is not a matter of conscience - I am a signature member of Oath Keepers) has integrity.

integrity - synonyms or related words for integrity | American English | Macmillan Dictionary and Thesaurus
Old 06-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Sorry about that- If it works for you and you feel safe doing so then go for it. Its really about a matter of personal choice. I am pretty conservative when it comes to safety issues especially with my family. I agree with others here...and have made a few comments about some of the excessive speeds I have seen fellow RV'ers travel at. It really really bothers me when I see these things with kids bikes hanging off the back. Towing overloaded and being cautious I would assume is much safer than being in specs with a 35' TT at 75MPH behind a Tahoe.
Yes. Excessive speed with a big load is the height of irresponsibility and a danger to everyone.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #120

The only time I have a "Big Load On" is about 2 hours after I finish setting up and there are 15 Bud Light Cans in the Barrel. It's tough talking to the 1/2 Ton Fun Visitors then.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Closed Thread