Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #161
Site Team

My half ton pulls. The wildcat was traded in last month for the Rockwood 8282WS. 1000 pounds lighter dry weight and 300 less on pin. Both pull fine but Rockwood is noticeably easier on the suspension.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130605_212713.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	32334

Name:	ForumRunner_20130605_212725.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	32335

Old 06-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #162
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Looks great, but you really need a 800 hp Peterbilt and that might not satisfy some on the forum.

All bs aside, it does look good!
Good looking combo, agreed.

But, since we're playing the crazy comment game- let's say that some here say you can tow anything with anything. So let's hitch up that 55' custom trailer to an old Ranger! Good idea, OC! Let's spread the word!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #163
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Good looking combo, agreed.

But, since we're playing the crazy comment game- let's say that some here say you can tow anything with anything. So let's hitch up that 55' custom trailer to an old Ranger! Good idea, OC! Let's spread the word!
Only if it has air bags.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #164
Denver, CO

What is the obsession with sag or whatever. Other than your headlight aiming, I see no point in whether the bed or side rail is level, unless the mfg has a spec on it. Far as I know, it's about weight. Axles, tires, payload, GVWR,GCWR are all that matters. If you are over, you are over. If you are comfy and experienced, then just do it; but please don't encourage others whom you don't know. Stick to the facts, weight specs are all that matters in the absence of other factors.

I used to pull a 14,200lb boat with a 3/4 ton Suburban 454ci. It was crazy and I killed the truck eventually, so what. Then I used a 1 ton F350 dually power stroke on same rig, much better.

I used to pull a 14k 5er with my 3/4 ton chevy, no problems, but current rig is better and more comfy. That all I'm saying. Pull what you want, but caution others about the specs, please. Common courtesy.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #165

In all seriousness, you guys with the 1/2 ton and 5er rigs should create a sticky with a photo and corresponding specs on the truck and fifth wheel trailer. It would be a great thread for those interested in pursuing this RV combination and highlight the varied possibilities.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
In all seriousness, you guys with the 1/2 ton and 5er rigs should create a sticky with a photo and corresponding specs on the truck and fifth wheel trailer. It would be a great thread for those interested in pursuing this RV combination and highlight the varied possibilities.
It would only be useful if actual weights would be included.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #167

The original point of the thread was how the RV world and Truck world are both evolving and there are fifth wheel/half ton combo's out there that are either within specs or a little overloaded based kn "published data". This trend is causing the good folks in campgrounds to come by and say hi, how you doing. Like your camper. We have been thinking about getting a fifth wheel but they are just too heavy. Great conversations, but just cause they talked to me, they aren't going out and buying a fifth wheel. I didn't go out and buy a 3/4 ton since I started this post.

Have you seen the variety out there? Fiver's run fron 6500 - 18000 or more, I don't know for sure how heavy as I didn't look at anything too big for me to PULL and STOP.

I am not saying the debate should not continue, so keep the comments coming from both sides.

Good Camping to All
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 06-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #168
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
It would only be useful if actual weights would be included.

Dave
And the weight police would hijack it as they did this one.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
The original point of the thread was how the RV world and Truck world are both evolving and there are fifth wheel/half ton combo's out there that are either within specs or a little overloaded based kn "published data".
Are you using your set-up as an example. You haven't bothered to weigh it so it's your assumption where you are relative to specs.

Dave

Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #170

Thats true, I see alot of overloaded 3/4 tons on the road. Alot more than 1/2 tons. Most probably figure they are OK without checking anything. I knew I had limits and paid attention to them. Out TT layout didn't work for me and the DW anymore. We found a layout and configuration we loved and figured we could get two years out of our present truck and then when we want to travel, we would get a new truck. Her response? Yah right, you'll have a new truck before then. Maybe so, maybe not.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #171

I personally don't like driving around like I have a bowl of gold fish in the front seat. I like to a have a truck that is in charge of things, not just getting buy. JMO, so there.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #172

Weighing my set up is not going to make it drive any better or worse than the current set up.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 06-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

The point I'm trying to make is the difficulty in making recommendations without all the information. Granted you feel the you're okay regardless where you are relative to specs but other potential buyers may not see it that way.

I towed our Rockwood 8280WS with a Ram 1500 for 2 years but did it fully knowing what the weights were. I weighed the truck to determine available payload before I ordered the camper and knew that I'd be over on GVWR and probably under on RAWR. I also weighed the set-up on the trip home from picking it up and loaded on our first trip.

I've been asked many times about that set-up and would say that I thought it was acceptable but also say where I was relative to the specs and say that they would have to decide if that's acceptable.

Without that information, what kind of recommendation can be made?

Dave

Old 06-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #174
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Not Really but I got your attention. This thread is about the phenomenon associated with curious campers wondering how I pull my fifth wheel with a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab, Laramie Longhorn. Everywhere we go, they wander over to our site like curious zombies. It never fails, we get at least 2-3 visitors a weekend. Mostly, they are MH owners that want to go to a fifth wheel, but didn't know you could tow a 5vr with a 1/2/ton truck. Sometimes they show up in groups, sometimes they stop by on their way out. The male gets out to ask questions, while the wife stays in the car. I politely give them a tour and explain the various factors they would need to consider.

Just curious, has this happened to anyone else?
Don't see anywhere in the post that CZNEDY is recommending anything but making a statement of his experience and asking others for their experiences.

I don't understand why the minute a 1/2T with a 5er is mentioned, the weight police have to jump in with both feet and say how unsafe it is and want the person to go out an buy a 3/4t, 1t or 1-1/2t. JMO
Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #175

This one should entertain you

This weekend, we are going camping. Soon after we get set up, a husband and wife team will wander onto our site in search of being one of our new 1/2 ton fun friends. The husband will have beer. The wife will have a smokin body, but a face like a bag of feet.

They will ask about pulling a fifth wheel with a half ton and say they always wanted to get one but didn't think their truck could handle it. I will ask them what kind of truck they have. Then I will ask them what kind of Trailer they pull now.

I should be shocked to find out that they are pulling a 7000 lb TT, but I am not. You can just walk around the campground and see what ungodly combo's are out there. And that is not limited to 1/2 ton trucks and below. Do I tell the, they sould get weighed? No! Why would I do that, the guy still has more free beer.

I tell them about our set up and let them know that its at the limit, but we don't travel long distances and if and when we do, I would have at least a 3/4 ton truck. I also give them the best advise I can and that is real simple:

1. Never base your trucks ability to tow a rig based on what the RV salesman tells you.

2. Do your researcha dn know the limitations of your TV.

3. Can I have another beer?

4. If you are thinking about getting a 7000-8000 lb fifth wheel, make sure your truck can handle the weight pulling and stopping and make sure your suspension can handle the pin weight and cargo. If you don't, you will be in for a big surprise when you pick up your new Fiver.

I have to say, In the past year of camping with our new Fiver, I have had many curious campers wanting to learn about 1/2 ton towing, but have never had a visit from a 3/4 or 1 ton owner asking me if I weighed my set up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	32385  
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 06-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't see anywhere in the post that CZNEDY is recommending anything but making a statement of his experience and asking others for their experiences.

Seeing that I used to tow virtually the identical set-up, I shouldn't post about my experience?

Dave

Old 06-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #177

It probably doesn't hurt either that your combo looks really sharp. I'm sure that's also what's bringing folks over. The 1/2 ton 5'ers of the past were rather hideous to say the least. Lots of new technologies are making choices less limited these days. Good luck with your travels.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #178
Just a member

Quote:
This weekend, we are going camping. Soon after we get set up, a husband and wife team will wander onto our site in search of being one of our new 1/2 ton fun friends. The husband will have beer.

Must be fiver thing...

Our sheep truck is maxed out (GVWR) with the Rockwood and not once, in week after week and thousands of miles on the road has anybody but somebody I already know, shown up with beer and questions.

I'm turning green...

Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #179
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockport View Post
Integrety. So I should not have pulled that mattress tag off.

It is for the seller; not the buyer.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #180
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I have to say, In the past year of camping with our new Fiver, I have had many curious campers wanting to learn about 1/2 ton towing, but have never had a visit from a 3/4 or 1 ton owner asking me if I weighed my set up.
All excellent tips.

I have stopped by several folks campsites for a chat when I see larger 5th wheels (10,000 and up) on 1/2 tons and even a few 13 - 15,000 pounders on 3/4 tons.

Mostly I ask about mileage and what their pin weight was. In every case, they say they get better gas mileage than me and that they have no idea since they never weighed it; however it pulls "just fine."

Must be true since so many folks seem to have the same answer. I don't do that so much any more. Since I hate hearing that 3/4 ton gassers pulling 14,000 pound campers get better gas mileage than my 3/4 ton diesel pulling a 9,000 pound one.
Closed Thread