Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #1

Thinking of buying a Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Im thinking selling my 2012 Ram 1500 Hemi and buying a Ram 1500 Eco Diesel but I have reservations, and hoping you all can help.

We typically camp within the state and only extended weekends so we have all of our food, wood, ice, bikes, etc... prior to leaving for the weekend. We fill the water tanks at the campground, and never travel with water in any of the tanks. If we were to do long distant traveling I would not be bringing food, wood, ice etc.. That I would purchase at our destination. Inside the vehicle its myself, wife, daughter and dog.

We never plan on going bigger with the TT and actually will be downsizing eventually. I just need help determining if the Eco Diesel will be plenty for my setup. I really wish I could test drive the Eco Diesel with my TT hooked to it, but we all know that wont happen.

My TT is a Grey Wolf 22MKSE the factory specs are the following

• GVWR 7585 lb.
  • Hitch Weight 585 lb.
  • UVW 4341 lb.
  • CCC 3244 lb.
  • Exterior Length 26' 5"
  • Exterior Height 10' 6"
  • Exterior Width 97"
  • Fresh Water 46 gal.
  • Gray Water 38 gal.
  • Black Water 28 gal.
  • Awning Size 15'
There are a couple of Eco Diesel's Im looking at buying, these specs according to Dodge.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECO.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	165172
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECO1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	165173
Old 03-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have any evidence as I got this information verbally, but I've heard of at least one person who didn't like their EcoDiesel. Brother in law's co-worker traded in a Hemi on the ED, then found it didn't have the power they were used to from their Hemi, and then traded the ED in on a new Hemi instead less than a year after getting it.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #3

The ED is quite torquey but if you like to go vroom vroom then it won’t provide the same experience.

As for the truck you’re considering, payload is going to be your problem. If you have an actual truck in mind, go open the driver’s door and look at how much payload it actually has listed on the placard. Likely less than the website says.

Hitch weight at 15% of GVWR (what you should be basing hitch weight on instead of dry weights) is just over 1,100lb.

I was considering an ED as well but the very low payload capacity was the nail in its coffin.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
The ED is quite torquey but if you like to go vroom vroom then it won’t provide the same experience.

As for the truck you’re considering, payload is going to be your problem. If you have an actual truck in mind, go open the driver’s door and look at how much payload it actually has listed on the placard. Likely less than the website says.

Hitch weight at 15% of GVWR (what you should be basing hitch weight on instead of dry weights) is just over 1,100lb.

I was considering an ED as well but the very low payload capacity was the nail in its coffin.
I was actually going to go look at one of the trucks above this evening. Question on the payload. Is payload what goes in the bed of the truck or does that also include all the passengers in the cab of the truck?

Also, Im assuming the hitch weight is subtracted off of the payload which would only leave about 200lbs left am I correct in that thinking?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It includes everything in the truck, including passengers, accessories, hitch weight, etc... Payload is basically what remains between the weight of the truck and the trucks Gross Vehicle weight rating (GVWR). You can think of it this way:

Available Payload = GVWR - (Actual weight of the vehicle including everything in or on it just as if it was parked on a huge scale)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
It includes everything in the truck, including passengers, accessories, hitch weight, etc... Payload is basically what remains between the weight of the truck and the trucks Gross Vehicle weight rating (GVWR). You can think of it this way:

Available Payload = GVWR - (Actual weight of the vehicle including everything in or on it just as if it was parked on a huge scale)
Thanks.... That is discouraging...
Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightlinespeed View Post
I was actually going to go look at one of the trucks above this evening. Question on the payload. Is payload what goes in the bed of the truck or does that also include all the passengers in the cab of the truck?

Also, Im assuming the hitch weight is subtracted off of the payload which would only leave about 200lbs left am I correct in that thinking?
Generally, payload capacity is how much weight is left for people and things not including the driver (175lb if I remember right) and a tank of fuel. So if you have 1,300lb payload capacity, you as the driver weigh 200lb, and you have a full tank of fuel then you have 1,275lb left for passengers, gear, hitch head, and tongue weight.

You will be using a weight-distributing hitch which will move about 1/3 of the tongue weight back to the trailer axles but you really don't want to count on the WDH to fix an overweight problem. Without the WDH you're right, you'd have about 200lb left for passengers and gear in the truck which is pretty much nothing.

Now, the chances of you having the trailer loaded up to GVWR are probably pretty slim and some folks will just pick an arbitrary weight of "stuff" they expect to load up to try and help their calculations, but somehow we always manage to have more stuff than we expected which means we end up underestimating the weight and then we have to either rethink what we want to bring or try and get creative with loading, which can be dangerous if you don't have the correct weight on the tongue. That's why I prefer to use the GVWR numbers when matching to a truck.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #8

Comparing the ED to a Hemi is like comparing a race horse to an oxen - literally.
True, the diesel eats up a lot of payload capacity but never rely on online information alone, always check the sticker on the driver side door.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #9

I have a 2015 Tradesman ED and tow a Surveyor 251 RKS. The less bling on the truck, the higher payload. You would be fine towing that trailer with this truck and get excellent mileage while towing. I have been across country with my rig, including over Wolf Creek Pass among other grades. Just the wife, dog, cat and myself. It does great. I average between 12-15 mpg when towing.
Happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #10

Why? Do,you not tow a lot?

The ecodiesel is sort of borderline in capacities. If you have plans for short trips, proper loading, etc? You are fine.

You loose the boy racer performance thing. You get better milage.

Tough choice.

Keeping what you have costs less. Likely you would not get your money back.

For the same price a two year old 2500 tradesman diesel would run forever. Mileage is 15-22
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #11

Speed,
You didn't really tell us why you want to trade, or what problem you are trying to solve. From what I see, you have a perfectly fine truck, towing a camper that will never be loaded to more than about 5400 lbs. No way will you ever use 3200 lbs of CCC, especially if you never tow with anything in the tanks (or you collect bolders).

2012 Hemi Ram 1500? Doing the job? Why do you want to get rid of it?
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #12

Dodge has always lacked in the payload department but looks they're addressing that in their new 2019 models

https://blog.mysanantonio.com/drive/...wing-capacity/
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #13

try ecodiesel website

Try going on the Ecodiesel forum website. RAM 1500 Diesel Forum - Active Topics
The tradesman will give you he largest payload. The 3.9 axle will givw you the largest towable weight.
campbuzz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
HDU

I pull a 26RR Toy Hauler(specs below) with a 1500 Ram ecodiesel. It always has a 900 lb motorcycle in the rear when towing, plus more gear than average. The Ecodiesel does good with this rig. I rarely drop below 70 mph on most hills and it pulls nicely in general. The rear end is very soft due to coil springs so a WDH is a must for your rig.
I think the one thing you should consider is the ride quality when not towing. The Ram 1500 has an almost "car" like ride when not towing, and it makes 15 hour runs very comfortable and I typically get 26-27 mpg in daily driving. Towing - the worst avg. mpg through the mountains of Colorado was 12.6, and last week returning from Florida I got 15.7 avg. with a slight tail wind running at 65 mph most of the way.

I have had a number of diesels, 3/4 and 1 ton of different makes. The ecodiesel in the 1500 is a good option for somebody that doesn't pull the majority of the time, and that also wants a very comfortable ride. And when you do pull, just know that you won't be the first to get there, but you will also enjoy your ride without having the feeling of driving a fast tractor around when not towing.

I have 80k miles on my 2016, and it has been very solid. The only warranty issues I had with it were on devices installed for EPA, it would throw error codes but ran fine. Two visits to the dealer and repaired under warranty eventually solved the problem.

I am happy with the EcoDiesel, but I was happy with my other trucks too. It is basically picking the right tool for the overall job, just as you are trying to do.
Best of luck in your decision.

26RR specs
Length 30.67 ft. (368 in.)
Width 8.08 ft. (97 in.)
Height 10.5 ft. (126 in.)
Dry Weight 5,030 lbs.
Payload Capacity 2,745 lbs.
GVWR 7,775 lbs.
Hitch Weight 775 lbs.
HDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #15

2015 Ecodiesel Big Horn does great

I have a 2015 Ecodiesel with 3.55 axle. I have 75k on it so far, 15K of which pulling a TT the same weight and length as yours.
It tows great. Longest trip 1500 Miles in the summer to South Padre, Tx
Take my advice and get a set of Timbrens to smooth out the ride while towing.
MPG towing - 15 not towing - 28
I love my truck and would not have anything else, especially an eco”bust”
morganrc1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #16

You will get better mpg, but you might not actually save anything on fuel cost per mile. Depending on area, gas is running 50-60 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel. So that better mpg might not actually end up saving anything. If we hit spreads between gas and diesel we saw several years ago, you will cry everytime you fill up with diesel. It pegged $5 a gallon back then. I know, I ate it in a big way since I go thru about 20,000 gallons of diesel a year for my various needs.

And those numbers on TT are factory numbers, which likely are on the low side and they don't include anything in the trailer or anything in the pickup. Just those dry numbers have you up towards the top on capability compared to the numbers on the trucks you posted. Just me, but anything over 6000 lb, I only consider a 3/4 ton. It isn't just about what the engine can tow, it is equally about how well it can control the load and stop it.

Take it with a grain of salt. Just keep in mind you and your family's safety.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganrc1955 View Post
I have a 2015 Ecodiesel with 3.55 axle. I have 75k on it so far, 15K of which pulling a TT the same weight and length as yours.
I love my truck and would not have anything else, especially an eco”bust
Uh-Oh, now you went an done it.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganrc1955 View Post
I love my truck and would not have anything else, especially an eco”bust”
SumoSprings are a far better option than Timbrens. Best of both worlds.. .ease of install and use like Timbrens, but offer similar performance and ride quality of air bags.

https://www.supersprings.com/products/sumosprings/
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Why? Do,you not tow a lot?

The ecodiesel is sort of borderline in capacities. If you have plans for short trips, proper loading, etc? You are fine.

You loose the boy racer performance thing. You get better milage.

Tough choice.

Keeping what you have costs less. Likely you would not get your money back.

For the same price a two year old 2500 tradesman diesel would run forever. Mileage is 15-22
Why, well you are correct. I do no tow a lot at all. Camping is really only about 6 trips a summer, winter its 2 snowmobiles, possibly about 6 trips.. All within the state or with in a couple of hours of home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Speed,
You didn't really tell us why you want to trade, or what problem you are trying to solve. From what I see, you have a perfectly fine truck, towing a camper that will never be loaded to more than about 5400 lbs. No way will you ever use 3200 lbs of CCC, especially if you never tow with anything in the tanks (or you collect bolders).

2012 Hemi Ram 1500? Doing the job? Why do you want to get rid of it?
My thoughts behind possibly moving to this truck are mostly gas mileage. Like stated above, I do not tow a lot and I only put on about 10k miles per year. I drive conservatively and Im not on the throttle hard. For instance towing 2 sleds a couple of weekends ago, 1 hour away for a fishing tournament times 2 days, I went through 1 tank of gas. Yes that is 320 miles, but I was only getting 11mpg. Total trailer weight and only a guess about 1500lbs. My drive to work I only get 12mpg, granted its under 5 miles but Im not even towing anything and its not stop and go. The best I've gotten with my truck is about 18mpg on the freeway and only during warm summer weather.

It does do the job pulling my TT, but that gas mileage hurts also. The best I got was 11mpg @ 60mph, worst was 8mpg @ 70mph. Now if I ever did want to go long distance, its seriously going to hurt the pocket book and is the whole reason we have not done a long trip yet. If I could double the mileage just saying, it would be something I would consider.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #20

I went and checked out one of the trucks tonight and took it for a test drive. I honestly have to say I was impressed. I was not expecting much, but I drove it like I would my Hemi and I have to say it was comparable. I accelerated about the same speed and stopped the same and was quite happy. I didnt get on it so see just how snappy it was, but I dont drive my Hemi fast either. I did kick it down once and I thought it was pretty decent.

I did check out the placard on the door for max payload and it was 1162lbs. Yep 200lbs less than what Rams website said. Curious I looked at my Hemi's placard get this, my Hemi's payload is only 1268lbs. Thats only 106lbs difference. Now Im even more confused about this whole Payload thing. My Hemi tows my TT, so why do I need to be concerned about the ED payload?

Please help me understand this.

Tags
diesel, 500