Old 08-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #41

Amen!

2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3001w Diamond
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBubbleOff View Post
My 1500 Silverado has no issue towing my 7000 pound empty TT. Have not seen any serious grades as of yet, but it accelerates and maintains highway speeds at ease. It can cruise at 65 mph below 2000 rpm. Not sure how a 2500 would be that much better if it has the same engine and rear gears. My TV has the towing package and is rated at 9500 pounds.
Take your 1500 Silverado down to the Chevy dealer and park it beside a 2500 HD that is the same configuration as far as bed size and cab. Now crawl underneath each one and take a good look around. Compare the frames, suspension and brake parts such as rotors and calipers, driveline components including the rear end which is a floater on the 2500. The 1500 may have the same ratio but it does not have the same rear end . Also compare the payload numbers. In regards to gas engines there's a reason GM still puts the previous generation Vortec 6.0 in the HD trucks. GM considers the 6.0 it's heavy duty engine because of its cast iron block among other reasons. The lightweight, aluminum block, direct injected active fuel management Ecotec engines are not considered heavy duty. The Rumor Mill says the 6.2 is in the HDs future after GM does a redesign and strengthening of its bottom end.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
Don't need a diesel to enjoy the trip....lots of campers are easily pulled with a gas powered TV. Why does everything become gas vs. diesel on this forum?
My intent with this thread was not to spark a diesel vs. gas debate, but rather document my path from being "under trucked" as someone put it, to a TV that was truly the "right match" for my trailer. I agree that there are a lot of people who start out with trailers/5th wheels that don't match their TV due to lots of reasons. I was one of them, and didn't really get it until I was forced into it. So I shared my experience for those who are starting to get it and need that confirmation to pull the trigger on the right TV and what benefits they will receive from doing that, gas or diesel. I just happened to choose diesel because the benefits worked for me. Others will choose gas, but the "right" TV is the important point here.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #44

...hesitate to even post on this thread but I can see it is meant for the greater good. These threads also turn into the worst threads on the site. Either 1/2 v 3/4 or gas v oil burner. Some times they are fun to read until they cross the line. Yes if I compare a 1/2 to 3/4 there will be several differences like frame, brakes and so fourth. But some of those do not make it stop better or last longer. At the end of the day it is still a bigger heavier truck that you are trying to stop or pull with, so yes parts are bigger but so is the truck. Now of course it will feel better while towing...most things in life that are heavier or wider are more stable.
The point the OP is trying to make(Correct me if I am wrong) is we all learn this in life. Clearly he has and shared it. I am in the same boat, under trucked. Ran all the numbers for weeks and well they lie...to a point. I made an educated decision bought a truck and camper and ended up under trucked, scaled it and over by an average of 100LB(When loaded for dry camping). Am I worried while I drive nope. Truck has more than enough power and does a great job stopping, starting and maneuvering. However I have to be careful of loading trip to trip. That is the part the starts to suck. Once I am able to get out of my lease and I use my new found knowledge I will have a 3/4 or 1 ton in my driveway, haven't decided on gas or diesel yet.
Now for all of you trying to shame people that got them selves in a situation like me or others, go for it. I am not afraid to admit my mistake. But I will be the first to pull over if I see you on the side of the road to see if you need help. At the end of the day it does not make me a bad person. I can still travel safely down the roads of this great country, I just might alter my route to stay within limits. Everyone learns, you don't just hit a baseball, kick a soccer ball or shoot a basketball (Or other non family website appropriate life learnings) perfect the first time. You learn how to do it correctly over time.
Ok I think that does it for me......Travel Safe Everyone!

2016 Days Camped - 31
2017 Camping Blues - ...
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
Don't need a diesel to enjoy the trip....lots of campers are easily pulled with a gas powered TV. Why does everything become gas vs. diesel on this forum?

It's what they do. They can't comprehend that a gas engine is fine for many of us. I tow 11,000 lbs and have no issue with gas.

Love how the cup-cakes are "exhausted" and "don't enjoy" their trip without a diesel.

Drama queens...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #46

Bravo to those that admit their mistake.
I attempt to educate others but most have to experience it for themselves.
Many folks say they are fine with their rig driving. Often times they do not ask their passengers how they feel (wives in particular)
Mine is particular and gets spooked easily.
I do overkill...always. I am a desert racer- we love overkill. Helps with not getting stranded.
Just put a set of OVERKILL shocks on my Tacoma.

(and I do like my 2016 6.0 Chevy with the new 6 spd tranny- runs and pulls great with decent mileage- 10 average)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #47

I offer these points:
1. Not everyone needs/wants a trailer bigger than they already have
2. Not everyone needs/wants a tow vehicle bigger than they already have
3. Matching a TV to a TT is very important...you never want less TV than is needed for your TT but having more TV than needed can add unnecessary extra costs
4. If one thinks one will be buying a larger TT in the future, buying more TV than currently needed could make economic sense
5. Where you tow is a consideration as well

That said, I'm quite happy with my LGT that pulls my rig fine 10% of total TV usage here in the SE flatlands while giving me 22-24 mpg the other 90% of the time that I commute.

$.02
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
It's what they do. They can't comprehend that a gas engine is fine for many of us. I tow 11,000 lbs and have no issue with gas.

Love how the cup-cakes are "exhausted" and "don't enjoy" their trip without a diesel.

Drama queens...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I truly am exhausted, but not due to gas or diesel, due to me truck being underrated for what we tow AND load into the box to go on vacation. The gas or diesel debate I view the same as leather or cloth seats. It is a luxury and a comfort item that some people want and others don't. I chose a diesel with cloth seats. Others will choose a gas with leather, or a gas with cloth. It is all on what they want, and feel they need to be comfortable on the style traveling that they do.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #49

The title of this post is "..those who tow at max capacity." There are certainly people out there pulling something so heavy that they truly need a diesel to pull it. However, it's my opinion that "many" of the people who rant about diesels are simply rationalizing why they spent an extra $7000 for a diesel (especially to the DW!), when in the end, they "just wanted it" for some reason (machismo, usually).

I know I'll get lambasted for the above statement. I know somebody's going to claim he got a diesel for the same money as a gas (some might, but I suspect they are the exception, not the rule). And some will say how it pulls "so much better." But "so much better" does NOT equal "required," hence my opinion that they are rationalizing why they bought a diesel.

I'm pulling a 6,000 lb GVWR trailer with a gasser TV rated for 13,000 lb. Would a diesel be great to pull it? Sure. But do I really need to spend an extra $7K for a diesel for this TT, not to mention potential maintenance costs? I don't think so.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #50
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
The title of this post is "..those who tow at max capacity." There are certainly people out there pulling something so heavy that they truly need a diesel to pull it. However, it's my opinion that "many" of the people who rant about diesels are simply rationalizing why they spent an extra $7000 for a diesel (especially to the DW!), when in the end, they "just wanted it" for some reason (machismo, usually).

I know I'll get lambasted for the above statement. I know somebody's going to claim he got a diesel for the same money as a gas (some might, but I suspect they are the exception, not the rule). And some will say how it pulls "so much better." But "so much better" does NOT equal "required," hence my opinion that they are rationalizing why they bought a diesel.

I'm pulling a 6,000 lb GVWR trailer with a gasser TV rated for 13,000 lb. Would a diesel be great to pull it? Sure. But do I really need to spend an extra $7K for a diesel for this TT, not to mention potential maintenance costs? I don't think so.
X2! We are almost in the same boat weight wise, and that boat is floating just fine!

2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 282RK TT
2018 "FROG!" To Alaska
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote