Old 08-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
The title of this post is "..those who tow at max capacity." There are certainly people out there pulling something so heavy that they truly need a diesel to pull it. However, it's my opinion that "many" of the people who rant about diesels are simply rationalizing why they spent an extra $7000 for a diesel (especially to the DW!), when in the end, they "just wanted it" for some reason (machismo, usually).

I know I'll get lambasted for the above statement. I know somebody's going to claim he got a diesel for the same money as a gas (some might, but I suspect they are the exception, not the rule). And some will say how it pulls "so much better." But "so much better" does NOT equal "required," hence my opinion that they are rationalizing why they bought a diesel.

I'm pulling a 6,000 lb GVWR trailer with a gasser TV rated for 13,000 lb. Would a diesel be great to pull it? Sure. But do I really need to spend an extra $7K for a diesel for this TT, not to mention potential maintenance costs? I don't think so.
Just to be clear, I did not intend this thread to be Gas vs Diesel debate. I was intending to share my story about being "under trucked" for my TT and for where we wanted to go. Whether you prefer gas or diesel is a different topic, I happened to pick diesel because down the road I was looking to go larger 5th wheel. I could have picked gas as well, personal preference in my mind. The issue at hand is for all those who are under trucked for their trailer. I was under trucked and ignored, denied, justified, etc until I put my family in a bad situation. Just trying to help people take an honest look at their rigs and what they are using them for.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Smith View Post
Every day I shake my head when reading how under trucked a lot of you are.Too small is dangerous and exhausting Go big or stay at home,Ive been there and done that,get a diesel if you want to enjoy the trip.

Really? I'm curious as to your definition of "too small". I've "been there and done that" myself. I would say most do their homework and make their decision based on overall needs...not just towing. Just cuz it's gas doesn't mean "under trucked", but again it's personal preference based on requirements. I choose to tow with a diesel 3500 dually because it meets my needs and is what I prefer. Doesn't imply I couldn't pull our 5th wheel utilizing a vehicle with less towing capacity. "Go big or stay at home..." is short-sighted at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #53

The OP said: "Just to be clear, I did not intend this thread to be Gas vs Diesel debate. I was intending to share my story about being "under trucked" for my TT and for where we wanted to go."

And most of us on this forum thank you for that. Many of us have had similar experiences, but, unfortunately, most of us were not on this forum when we made our original choice of TV or RV.

One issue that has not been mentioned in the first 6 pages of this thread is the use of turbo vs. non-turbo engines in tow vehicles. For those of us living in Colorado, that is probably more important than gas vs. diesel. Considering that any normally aspirated TV, gas or diesel, will lose about 3% of its power per 1,000 feet of elevation gain and a turbo'd engine will lose <1%, those without a turbo will lose 1/3 of their power going over a 10,000-foot pass in the Rockies.

Unfortunately, we have more passes that are 11,000 to 12,000 feet high than we do 10,000 feet (we have towns like Leadville at more than 10,000 feet and they are certainly not on any pass). Even the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 only reduced the highway's elevation from 12,000-foot at Loveland Pass to 11,000 feet.

So, regardless of disagreements about 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton or gas vs. diesel tow vehicles, if you are planning to do a lot of towing in Colorado, consider an engine with a turbo. We who have to follow you up Berthoud or Monarch Pass or the west approach to the Eisenhower Tunnel will thank you for it!

New: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
2015 Ram 2500 CC-SB 6.7L Cummins turbodiesel 4x4
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #54
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
It's what they do. They can't comprehend that a gas engine is fine for many of us. I tow 11,000 lbs and have no issue with gas.

Love how the cup-cakes are "exhausted" and "don't enjoy" their trip without a diesel.

Drama queens...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMEN to that,

We travel 12 hour days with a GASP gasser and I have yet to be played out and tired because of driving it. We have been down through the Smoky Mountains with 4 adults and I could pass semi's going up in the passing area's and that was before I had custom tunes added to the truck just 91 octane fuel. Heck I even averaged 9 mpg doing it.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #55
Site Team

The OP was telling his story. It was interesting and we appreciate him sharing his experience.

That being said this thread has now turned into a diesel vs gas debate as so many like it seem destined to do.
Obviously we all have our preferences.
We- site team- ask you to be extra careful and keep it civil and FRIENDLY.

I'm glad you like your diesel or gasser!
Feel free to read this thread and move on! Really- it's not anyone's job to convince the other guy they have the best tow vehicle.

I have a gasser. I bought a used 2500 HD diesel and used it for 3 months and towed KY to FL. When I got back I sold the diesel and kept my gasser. It's a 5.3 L with the HD towing package and the correct rear end. I can run 45 MPH in 2nd on the really steep mtns and the rest of the time I go the speed limit or close to it. My temp gauge never moves off the mark it runs hitched or un-hitched. I got the same MPG with both and paid more for fuel for the diesel. I just couldn't love it so I let it go....

That's my story. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. You don't need to either!

Happy Trails!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
The OP was telling his story. It was interesting and we appreciate him sharing his experience.

That being said this thread has now turned into a diesel vs gas debate as so many like it seem destined to do.
Obviously we all have our preferences.
We- site team- ask you to be extra careful and keep it civil and FRIENDLY.

I'm glad you like your diesel or gasser!
Feel free to read this thread and move on! Really- it's not anyone's job to convince the other guy they have the best tow vehicle.

I have a gasser. I bought a used 2500 HD diesel and used it for 3 months and towed KY to FL. When I got back I sold the diesel and kept my gasser. It's a 5.3 L with the HD towing package and the correct rear end. I can run 45 MPH in 2nd on the really steep mtns and the rest of the time I go the speed limit or close to it. My temp gauge never moves off the mark it runs hitched or un-hitched. I got the same MPG with both and paid more for fuel for the diesel. I just couldn't love it so I let it go....

That's my story. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. You don't need to either!

Happy Trails!

The 5.3 GM is an outstanding engine. I towed my Corvette in an enclosed 28' car hauler from Houston to Indianapolis at 75mph most of the way with no issues at all. I never felt "under trucked". The only reason I would buy up for a diesel is for better gas mileage. Met someone camping this weekend that had a brand new Ford F-250 diesel top of the line, he's a Ford dealer, and mentioned the gas mileage with it was horrible. He said he was getting 8 mpg while pulling his 32' trailer. I thought diesels got better than that? I get 9-11 mpg pulling my 35' trailer.

HalfBubbleOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:29 PM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBubbleOff View Post
He said he was getting 8 mpg while pulling his 32' trailer. I thought diesels got better than that? I get 9-11 mpg pulling my 35' trailer.
it usually is. My old 2011 f250 psd got 13 mpg around town and 11 mpg towing. My 2014 duramax 3500 gets 16 mpg around town and 13 towing through mountains. Not sure why his mileage was so bad.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:20 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
it usually is. My old 2011 f250 psd got 13 mpg around town and 11 mpg towing. My 2014 duramax 3500 gets 16 mpg around town and 13 towing through mountains. Not sure why his mileage was so bad.
It's a FORD.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #59
Site Team

My brief venture into the diesel realm didn't get me any more MPG. The 2500 HD Silverado was the first year they started with that vortex exhaust thing. I got 9-10 MPG at speed limit KY to FL and back. Virtually the same as I get with my 5.3L gas. Since diesel was significantly higher than regular at that time it cost me more to drive the diesel.
I will admit I really liked that allison 6 sp tranny. I'd like to have one of those
in my current truck!

Happy Trails!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
The OP said: "Just to be clear, I did not intend this thread to be Gas vs Diesel debate. I was intending to share my story about being "under trucked" for my TT and for where we wanted to go."

And most of us on this forum thank you for that. Many of us have had similar experiences, but, unfortunately, most of us were not on this forum when we made our original choice of TV or RV.

One issue that has not been mentioned in the first 6 pages of this thread is the use of turbo vs. non-turbo engines in tow vehicles. For those of us living in Colorado, that is probably more important than gas vs. diesel. Considering that any normally aspirated TV, gas or diesel, will lose about 3% of its power per 1,000 feet of elevation gain and a turbo'd engine will lose <1%, those without a turbo will lose 1/3 of their power going over a 10,000-foot pass in the Rockies.

Unfortunately, we have more passes that are 11,000 to 12,000 feet high than we do 10,000 feet (we have towns like Leadville at more than 10,000 feet and they are certainly not on any pass). Even the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 only reduced the highway's elevation from 12,000-foot at Loveland Pass to 11,000 feet.

So, regardless of disagreements about 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton or gas vs. diesel tow vehicles, if you are planning to do a lot of towing in Colorado, consider an engine with a turbo. We who have to follow you up Berthoud or Monarch Pass or the west approach to the Eisenhower Tunnel will thank you for it!
Agree if the TV is close to being maxed out with the weight of the trailer behind it or load in the back.

I've done those passes with my Hummer H3 and it was quite able to pull a 3200 lb popup up Eisenhower and Monarch within 5 mph of the speed limit, but it was straining; partly due to a 5-cylinder but primarily due to 4.56 gears. (After first trip I did install a trans fluid cooler that GM did not install on the H3 with a tow package, cause the trans temps were running at 230 degrees F. and engine temps were rising too.)

But my 5.3L Silverado (3.42) has no problem running either of these; but if I had anything larger on my rear end, I would really appreciate a Turbo to give me that added boost over the pass(es).

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote