Old 08-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #61

Per my sig line I drive a diesel truck. I can pull my rig just fine. You drive what you drive and that's all right by me.

But here's the but. I would like folks to quit saying
"is that enough truck"?, or "is that truck big enough to pull your rig"?.

Are you telling me or asking me?

Dave

Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #62

This one really brings some smiles! Certainly not everyone needs a diesel. Some of the justification is sensible on both motors, and if it makes the poster feel good, great. However, if your ears ring while the gasser or diesel, 18 wheeler or Prius is behind you doing 45 mph in 2nd gear or 6th gear in a 55 MPH or higher zone you are a safety hazard.
I'm not a drama queen as I'm happy if you are happy with whatever your TV is or whatever it is powered with. Hearing silly stuff like the smell of diesel over gas is really funny. I prefer a diesel ~~ could get away with a gasser, but why? I certainly understand some not wanting the few dollars extra expense and that is fine. Some of us do not mind pennies a day for the comfort of a diesel and some of us require the HP and torque of a diesel. That really does not make us a drama queen and we will not be slowing down traffic for you either.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #63

I have said before on here I had the opposite gas vs diesel experience. I tried a 2005 Duramax and while it was better towing, it was way worse day to day. It was acceptable day to day but the Hemi Aspen is a dream in comparison. The Hemi Aspen is acceptable towing, the Duramax was a dream. The question you have to ask is what do you do more of? For me day to day mileage is 10-20 times the towing mileage, even towing on a trip to say Yellowstone, we have more time driving w/o the camper then with the camper. I may very well get another diesel but it won't be in a 2500 or 3500 pickup for now, maybe some day when I'm retired or if I ever have enough money to own 3-4 of the perfect vehicles for each thing I want to do.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
it usually is. My old 2011 f250 psd got 13 mpg around town and 11 mpg towing. My 2014 duramax 3500 gets 16 mpg around town and 13 towing through mountains. Not sure why his mileage was so bad.
Being new to diesel, I'm not sure of all the differences between Ford, Dodge and Chevy in regards to gas mileage. My personal experience was I was getting 7-8 mph on our 5.3L votex in the suburban and 13mph with the 2500HD Duramax. Without the trailer, the Suburban got 15-16mpg and the 2500HD Duramax gets 21-23mpg. I also notice that speed at which you drive makes a big difference. Suburban MPG was at 60mph, Duramax was at 67mph-70mph, constant speed up grades as well. If I drive at 62mph with the Duramax I get about 15mpg towing. Wind is another huge factor. Overall, my experience is I am getting better gas mileage with the diesel. Truck is 2016, TT is 7000lbs.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
Being new to diesel, I'm not sure of all the differences between Ford, Dodge and Chevy in regards to gas mileage. My personal experience was I was getting 7-8 mph on our 5.3L votex in the suburban and 13mph with the 2500HD Duramax. Without the trailer, the Suburban got 15-16mpg and the 2500HD Duramax gets 21-23mpg. I also notice that speed at which you drive makes a big difference. Suburban MPG was at 60mph, Duramax was at 67mph-70mph, constant speed up grades as well. If I drive at 62mph with the Duramax I get about 15mpg towing. Wind is another huge factor. Overall, my experience is I am getting better gas mileage with the diesel. Truck is 2016, TT is 7000lbs.
I can only speak for a 6.0L Ford being happiest at 2,000 RPM or lower, anything over tends to drop the mileage.
Nights Camped 2017 0
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #66

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
We went from a 7,000 lb, 30 ft TT being towed with a Titan to a 10,000 lb TT towed with a 2500HD Duramax/Allison. The Titan was not enough for the weight of the newer TT.
The Titan was getting 8.5 mpgs towing and 15 mpg loose. The 2500HD gets 13.5 towing and 20ish loose. The 2500HD Duramax/Allison allows us to have a 50 gallon transfer tank/toolbox, an outboard motor and a hydraulic crane for loading/unloading generators or outboard and still be within the weight limits of the truck. Plus it can handle a lot of tongue weight. I don't have to stop and think before using it for any of my needs. The $7,500 extra for the diesel and trans was worth every penny and I would do it again. I might go to a 3500 if any change at all just for the extra margin. I'm a happy camper with the 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #67

I have a Silverado 3500 SRW diesel and I just wanted a diesel, I have a 100 gallon fuel tank in bed of truck, I would not want that to be gas. With that being said I know I won't ever get my money back from the diesel or the 100 gallon fuel tank. I just wanted a diesel, my son moved up to a bigger camper and he got a gas, go figure. It's what you like

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
The $7,500 extra for the diesel and trans was worth every penny...
I maintained a fleet of gas/diesel trucks for a number of years & the annual cost of ownership for our 1 ton dually diesels was 1.75X to 2X the annual cost of our 3/4 ton gassers. (Factoring initial purchase price, interest, routine maintenance, major repairs, FUEL, less cost when/if sold...) I can't remember any out-of-warranty diesel work costing less than $1500... The 1/2 tons' wore-out prematurely making the 3/4 gassers the best bang/buck... The 3/4 gassers held-up well & a rebuilt engine w/3 year warranty cost only $4K...

Gently used 3/4 ton gassers are easy to find, affordable, yet capable... For instance, in 2013 I only paid $14,000 for a 2 year-old Ram 2500 CC gasser w/no rust & balance of manufacturers warranty & paid it off fast... In comparison, friends bought new $55K diesels and even with $15,000 down are still making huge payments for 7 years, etc...

Based on my prior experiences with the fleet, I know that many 3/4 tons are under-spec'd. They can actually handle more than they are rated because the manufacturers don't want to compete with their pricier diesels. I'm NOT suggesting going over - just that 3/4 tons are designed to work at spec day in/day-out. In comparison, many 1/2 tons are OVER spec'd meaning they will wear-out prematurely if you really work 'em... In 2 different companies our 1/2 tons from 2 different manufactures had constant brake & suspension issues...

In comparison, my Ram 2500 gasser is towing right at my GCVW of 15,000 yet I have had excellent results towing & braking in the Smoky Mountains, etc. Interstates are designed not to surpass 6%... In tow/haul mode it typically shifts down one gear until we hit the 6%+ grades where it will shift down two. At this point I still have plenty of pedal left to maintain 60 mph. Right at GCVW I typically pass every gas motorhome with ease... Although I'm no match for a diesel with only 15,000 GCVW, most diesels are towing BIG 5ers/toy haulers & stuck in the right lane with the diesel semis...

Since I don't have a diesel's engine brake it is IMPORTANT to have the brake controller setup correctly. I replaced my OEM with a P3 for shorter stopping distances - which came-in VERY handy last trip... Too many folks texting & playing Pokémon on the highway they can't be bothered with actually driving their car!

Don't let other folks dictate how you spend your money... My used 2 year-old TV/TT combo only cost $35K together & we will only get 2 years less out of it than the folks who paid $65K+ for the same TV/TT gear new...
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
Being new to diesel, I'm not sure of all the differences between Ford, Dodge and Chevy in regards to gas mileage. My personal experience was I was getting 7-8 mph on our 5.3L votex in the suburban and 13mph with the 2500HD Duramax. Without the trailer, the Suburban got 15-16mpg and the 2500HD Duramax gets 21-23mpg.
I was in your shoes 18 months ago with a new 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins diesel and no idea how it would perform with an 8600-lb. (GVWR) 5th wheel. On our first trip, we drove 1,000 all-Interstate miles (Denver to Chicago) to pick up the trailer and got a calculated 23.4 mpg.

For the entire 1,800-mile return trip with the trailer, we kept the speed at 65 on Interstates, but did have strong headwinds across western Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle (it was mid-April, so the wind was no surprise!). We averaged 13.6 mpg for that leg, which included about 150 miles of sightseeing without the trailer.

In Denver, we are averaging 17.5 mpg in normal, everyday driving and diesel here has been about the same price as regular gasoline for the entire time we have had the truck. So, overall, we have been very pleased with the mileage of our 7,000-lb. "monster truck" (as the grandkids have named it!).

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
I maintained a fleet of gas/diesel trucks for a number of years & the annual cost of ownership for our 1 ton dually diesels was 1.75X to 2X the annual cost of our 3/4 ton gassers. (Factoring initial purchase price, interest, routine maintenance, major repairs, FUEL, less cost when/if sold...) I can't remember any out-of-warranty diesel work costing less than $1500... The 1/2 tons' wore-out prematurely making the 3/4 gassers the best bang/buck... The 3/4 gassers held-up well & a rebuilt engine w/3 year warranty cost only $4K...

Gently used 3/4 ton gassers are easy to find, affordable, yet capable... For instance, in 2013 I only paid $14,000 for a 2 year-old Ram 2500 CC gasser w/no rust & balance of manufacturers warranty & paid it off fast... In comparison, friends bought new $55K diesels and even with $15,000 down are still making huge payments for 7 years, etc...

Based on my prior experiences with the fleet, I know that many 3/4 tons are under-spec'd. They can actually handle more than they are rated because the manufacturers don't want to compete with their pricier diesels. I'm NOT suggesting going over - just that 3/4 tons are designed to work at spec day in/day-out. In comparison, many 1/2 tons are OVER spec'd meaning they will wear-out prematurely if you really work 'em... In 2 different companies our 1/2 tons from 2 different manufactures had constant brake & suspension issues...

In comparison, my Ram 2500 gasser is towing right at my GCVW of 15,000 yet I have had excellent results towing & braking in the Smoky Mountains, etc. Interstates are designed not to surpass 6%... In tow/haul mode it typically shifts down one gear until we hit the 6%+ grades where it will shift down two. At this point I still have plenty of pedal left to maintain 60 mph. Right at GCVW I typically pass every gas motorhome with ease... Although I'm no match for a diesel with only 15,000 GCVW, most diesels are towing BIG 5ers/toy haulers & stuck in the right lane with the diesel semis...

Since I don't have a diesel's engine brake it is IMPORTANT to have the brake controller setup correctly. I replaced my OEM with a P3 for shorter stopping distances - which came-in VERY handy last trip... Too many folks texting & playing Pokémon on the highway they can't be bothered with actually driving their car!

Don't let other folks dictate how you spend your money... My used 2 year-old TV/TT combo only cost $35K together & we will only get 2 years less out of it than the folks who paid $65K+ for the same TV/TT gear new...
This maybe a topic for a different thread, but you mentioned the OEM brake controller vs the P3. I had he P3 in my Suburban and loved it, I now have the OEM in the 2500 and it won't lock the brakes. It seems ok and you can feel the trailer braking at 9.0, but with the P3 you knew it was working and it would lock the brakes of the same trailer at 5.0. Others have commented on another thread about the ITBC not locking. What is your experience with all your knowledge?