Old 08-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #71

to each his own, but I just love my 2015 f250 with the 6.2

Old 08-13-2016, 07:54 AM   #72

The OP had a poor experience towing with a 2014 Suburban which likely had the Chevy 5.3 (315hp / 335*lb·ft torque)... In comparison, many 3/4 ton gassers are much more capable:

Ford 6.2 = 385*hp / 405*lb·ft torque
Ram 5.7 = 383*hp /400*lb·ft torque
Ram 6.4 = 410*hp / 429*lb·ft torque
(Ford 3.5 EB = 365*hp / 420*lb·ft, but only good option is F150 w/pricey HD upgrade)

I know from maintaining a fleet of gas/diesel trucks that diesels MUST

so that's an extra 6-7 minutes added to my 25 minute commute or 25% more run time than my gasser.

Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
And here's the truck.
Beautiful truck and welcome to the club.

I have preached this for years.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Stock for now.
Days Camped 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 28 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #74
DW's Retirement Plan

While many in this thread tout the advantages of diesel vs. gas, .... going back on the topic of "...tow at max capacity", I can relate to the problems of barely having enough tow vehicle.
Our first experience into tv/tt, I had an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7HO with a tow rating of 6500#. Bought an '08 Roo 23SS which weighed "empty" about 5000#. Had to drive over 3 hrs to bring it home in 25mph+ head winds. No fun. I told the DW it was a handful and hoped things would get easier. Well, they did somewhat without winds. But during the 5 years we had the Roo, I was never totally comfortable, figuring white-knuckle driving about 1/2 of the time was normal.
Then came Sept '13 when we bought our Flagstaff 27BESS. Bigger trailer meant a bigger tv, and bigger tv I went - to a Nissan Armada with the tow package; transmission gauge and cooler and other goodies. I never knew towing could be so easy. No white-knuckle driving with this combo. And the power when you needed it.
So, yeah, having the right tow vehicle, not just "good enough" is a real blessing.

Let's face it, the whole idea is to

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #75

I'll agree. Beyond the gas vs oil debate, having the right sized vehicle makes a world of difference. When I moved from my Tundra which was 40lbs from max when loaded to my '14 2500HD gasser it was night and day. Power lacked, but stability was wonderful. I've been in high winds, heavy truck traffic, steep hills etc, and it is a relaxed driving experience when compared with the Tundra. Never a nervous moment. A long drive loaded is no different from a long drive empty.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
...you mentioned the OEM brake controller vs the P3. I had he P3 in my Suburban and loved it, I now have the OEM in the 2500 and it won't lock the brakes. It seems ok and you can feel the trailer braking at 9.0, but with the P3 you knew it was working and it would lock the brakes of the same trailer at 5.0. Others have commented on another thread about the ITBC not locking. What is your experience with all your knowledge?
Originally the 2011 Ram OEM brake controller would just barely lock the TT brakes at max settings on gravel/wet surfaces. I never truly "felt" it tugging me on dry roads which was confirmed by testing emergency stopping on vacant roads...

So I installed a P3 using double-sided tape, etc. to fit it neatly into the same spot as the OEM. This thing works great WITHOUT moving it to max settings! I feel my stopping power increases exponentially as I push harder on the brake. This is especially helpful at interstate speeds since the brakes are much colder & grab less...

This summer the P3 brake controller SAVED us from smashing into a young/inexperienced highway patrol officer who suddenly stopped in the middle of my (right) lane on a busy interstate near D.C/VA.... I think his plan was to exit where they have those gated hurricane evacuation ramps & when he realized his car wouldn't fit w/gate down he just suddenly stopped vs. speeding back up. The SUV behind him literally slid to a stop 1 foot from his bumper with no where else to go left/right...

When I slammed on the brakes I could feel the Ram's anti-lock brakes engage but the P3/TT tires grabbed-on & pulled me to a stop, with TT wheels skidding at the very end. The SUV's bumper/license disappeared below my Ram's hood but I didn't make contact.... Phew! If I still had the OEM controller we would have been doomed. Best $130 spent to-date on the TT!

Back on topic, I was towing very near my GCVW rating of 15,000 but had plenty of stopping capability with proper equipment installed. Both my TV & TT have newer E rated tires with plenty of traction/stopping power. With brake controller (now) & WDH properly setup I have a safer setup than 1/2 ton trucks claiming they have higher tow ratings. Even when my TT brakes were not as strong my TT never pushed me around. IMO some trucks (namely 3/4 tons) are better at operating near GCVW than others (1/2 tons)...
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #77

I too was 'under trucked' with my F-150. So I went to a F-250 gas.
We just finished a 2 week western trip that included I-70 over the Rockies. My only source of stress was the POS China Bomb tires!! But that is another thread.
My wife commented that she feels safer in the 250.
My OEM brake controller won't lock up the brakes either, but set at about 3/4 maximum I get the same braking 'feel' as unloaded (no pushing or pulling from the trailer) so I'm ok with that.
I can say from personal experience that the Super Duty is much happier operating near its spec'd capacity than the F-150 was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #78

With a title like that, I'm surprised I even opened this thread. I'm not going to read thru these pages, but keep in mind, most of those saying you can tow at or near the limits include the disclaimer, "assuming you are not towing in any significant grades".
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
With a title like that, I'm surprised I even opened this thread. I'm not going to read thru these pages, but keep in mind, most of those saying you can tow at or near the limits include the disclaimer, "assuming you are not towing in any significant grades".
And that in a nutshell is exactly what we learned. My friends are now accusing me of doing it on purpose so I could convince my wife to buy a new truck. Truth is, she is the one that planned the trip to Yellowstone, and I did express "some concern" over the number of grades. But it took this trip with her being in the suburban to convince her that we needed to make a TV change. She couldn't be happier and I have a new truck.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthere View Post
Not always practical but I prefer the TV to be heavier than the TT, That's why we have 1 ton truck (7000lbs ) dragging a 5000lb trailer.
While point taken, not always practical. Consider towing a larger 5th wheel which can easily out weigh a diesel 1-to truck.

Hermes1 is offline   Reply With Quote