Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Thoughts on Auto Level in Rams

Iíve been looking around at trucks and found some of the 18 Ram 3500ís have factory auto level.

Anyone here have any experience with this setup and tow a 5ther?

Thanks
__________________

Robert B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 14,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert B View Post
I’ve been looking around at trucks and found some of the 18 Ram 3500’s have factory auto level.

Anyone here have any experience with this setup and tow a 5ther?

Thanks
I ordered it on my 2500 Ram and love it. Better ride when towing and also it makes it easier to hook up my tt as I just lower the truck and do not need to raise the tt as much. Think it would work great also with the 5er. Later RJD
__________________

__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 12
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I ordered it on my 2500 Ram and love it. Better ride when towing and also it makes it easier to hook up my tt as I just lower the truck and do not need to raise the tt as much. Think it would work great also with the 5er. Later RJD


Curious, do the 2500ís have coils or leafs in the rear?
The 3500 has leafs.
Robert B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18,368
I have it on my 2018 Ram 3500 dually/crew cab/long bed. With my 2012 Ram 3500 dually/crew cab/long bed, I would get people flashing their high beams at me with my old rig (3,000 lbs. of pin weight) and new rig (3,400 lbs. of pin weight). That doesn't happen with the air bags.

I can say that for whatever reason, the new 2018 is a harsher unloaded ride. I don't know if it's the air bags or what. But this new truck really seems to beat us up.

When unhitching, you have to disable the air bag system. If you don't, when you take the pin weight off of the truck bed, the system dumps the air bags which then binds the fifth wheel hitch against the king pin. We found that out the first time unhitching.

We get the camper settled to where we need it to be and then I go into the on-screen menus and enable "Tire Jack Mode". This keeps the air pressure as it was until you move the truck. We unhitch and pull the truck forward which it then dumps out the air.

Hitching up is nice because the inflating helps with the landing gear and gets everything set for the pull test. Once the weight is on the truck/hitch, the system auto inflates the bags. This puts the landing gear just an inch or so off the ground. We kick out the boards, I pull test, and then we finish raising the landing gear and pulling chocks out.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 14,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert B View Post
Curious, do the 2500ís have coils or leafs in the rear?
The 3500 has leafs.
The 2500 has coil springs. Later RJD
__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 12
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 14,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I have it on my 2018 Ram 3500 dually/crew cab/long bed. With my 2012 Ram 3500 dually/crew cab/long bed, I would get people flashing their high beams at me with my old rig (3,000 lbs. of pin weight) and new rig (3,400 lbs. of pin weight). That doesn't happen with the air bags.

I can say that for whatever reason, the new 2018 is a harsher unloaded ride. I don't know if it's the air bags or what. But this new truck really seems to beat us up.

When unhitching, you have to disable the air bag system. If you don't, when you take the pin weight off of the truck bed, the system dumps the air bags which then binds the fifth wheel hitch against the king pin. We found that out the first time unhitching.

We get the camper settled to where we need it to be and then I go into the on-screen menus and enable "Tire Jack Mode". This keeps the air pressure as it was until you move the truck. We unhitch and pull the truck forward which it then dumps out the air.

Hitching up is nice because the inflating helps with the landing gear and gets everything set for the pull test. Once the weight is on the truck/hitch, the system auto inflates the bags. This puts the landing gear just an inch or so off the ground. We kick out the boards, I pull test, and then we finish raising the landing gear and pulling chocks out.

I'm guessing your harsher ride is due to the leaf spring set up. My trucks rides very smoothly compared to my Chevy I had and also with the tt in tow it smooths out the ride a lot on the wash boarding on concrete roads.
Little confused as to you saying you have to dump the air. I guess not having all the weight you have your truck does different things compared to mine. When I get ready to unhook I lower the truck then use the power jack to lift tt off ball. Drive out and then raise truck to normal. BTW what new truck still old in signature Later RJD
__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 12
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I'm guessing your harsher ride is due to the leaf spring set up. My trucks rides very smoothly compared to my Chevy I had and also with the tt in tow it smooths out the ride a lot on the wash boarding on concrete roads.
Little confused as to you saying you have to dump the air. I guess not having all the weight you have your truck does different things compared to mine. When I get ready to unhook I lower the truck then use the power jack to lift tt off ball. Drive out and then raise truck to normal. BTW what new truck still old in signature Later RJD
Thanks for the signature reminder.. it's only been 6 months. Funny, though- it was literally a 1-character change!

I think the new truck and my older 2012 were both leaf springs. I guess with the increase in payload/GVWR (12,300 vs. 14,000), they had to stiffen things up somewhere.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
The 2500 has coil springs. Later RJD
Not with the air suspension, it's bags only in that case.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, TTP Tune 3
1953 GMC 9314
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 328
I have auto level on my 15 Mega Cab dually. I love it, and have not had any issues with it. I do not do anything fancy when unhitching and have never had a problem. I'm guessing I leave more weight on the truck than others? Great feature, it was an overdue option in my opinion.
__________________
2015 Trilogy 38RE
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 14,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Not with the air suspension, it's bags only in that case.
True my bad was looking at different rear on truck. Guess that why it rides good.
Later RJD
__________________

__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 12
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.