Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
avolnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 630
There is a video of the "news" that shows the wheel and tire that hit the window. I noticed the lug holes have been stretched pretty wide. This is caused by the lug nuts being loose for a fair amount of time. The only way this happens is with loose lug nuts, and it didn't happen all at once...

I would agree with Brakeman saying the officer is wrong say the driver of the 5er wasn't at fault! He was completely at fault! I hate to say it, but I hate seeing stories like this because it makes all of pulling trailers look bad! Makes us look like we have no real idea of what we are doing! How in the holy heck did he continue driving without a front left tire? How did he not see it come off... People that are oblivious to such disastrous events happening to their rig shouldn't be driving such rigs...

It's an awful story and I hate hearing it! Thank God everyone turned out OK as this could have been MUCH worse!

This could have and should have been prevented!

Thanks for sharing this story! Just reiterates to all of us to check and re check things!
__________________

__________________

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
thebrakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 1,105
Everyone being "OK" only means nobody died. But 1 had had neck surgury, and 2 other may need neck surgury. For sure at least 3 will have neck problems the rest of their lives.

The good officer would have been best to not comment on fault at all.
__________________

__________________
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
There is a video of the "news" that shows the wheel and tire that hit the window. I noticed the lug holes have been stretched pretty wide. This is caused by the lug nuts being loose for a fair amount of time. The only way this happens is with loose lug nuts, and it didn't happen all at once...

I would agree with Brakeman saying the officer is wrong say the driver of the 5er wasn't at fault! He was completely at fault! I hate to say it, but I hate seeing stories like this because it makes all of pulling trailers look bad! Makes us look like we have no real idea of what we are doing! How in the holy heck did he continue driving without a front left tire? How did he not see it come off... People that are oblivious to such disastrous events happening to their rig shouldn't be driving such rigs...

It's an awful story and I hate hearing it! Thank God everyone turned out OK as this could have been MUCH worse!

This could have and should have been prevented!

Thanks for sharing this story! Just reiterates to all of us to check and re check things!
The owner was definitely negligent for not watching the tire tech tighten and torque the lug nuts and also negligent for not re-torqueing them after 50 miles as the warning stickers state. Any time the lugs are removed, I re-torque them every 50-75 miles until they no longer move and then check the torque every 400-500 miles there after and at the start of every trip. TOWTA thinks I'm anal about it, but I'd rather know that the lugs are tight.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
rattleNsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Western Connecticut
Posts: 1,571
WOW. 1 foot either way and passengers would have been killed.
__________________
2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
itch'n to road trip
 
campnqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Georgia Mountains-Jasper GA.
Posts: 911
all I can say is WOW! Make ya think.
__________________
2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Milford, MA
Posts: 441
Following proper procedures should be enough, I'm not going to be checking my lug nuts before every trip... It seems a bit excessive/paranoid. And no, I'm not wishing death to others on the roadway or anything like that, I just don't subscribe to these types of "preventative" obsessions...
__________________
2011 A-122
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,364
If they just picked up the trailer from the tire place and only drove say thirty miles who's fault is it then?
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
If they just picked up the trailer from the tire place and only drove say thirty miles who's fault is it then?
Still theirs because they failed to watch and verify the lug nuts were torqued. IMO, that's just common sense to verify or ask to watch them torque the lugs. Checking torque before every trip IMO is no different than checking that the hitch is secured, etc. An extra 5 minutes is cheap insurance. Nobody should be in that much of a hurry.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange Texas
Posts: 609
Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
If you get new lug nuts make certain they have the correct taper and that the recess on the tire rim is larger than the hex of the nut.
__________________

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Still theirs because they failed to watch and verify the lug nuts were torqued.
Civil liability certainly starts with the owners but could also go back to a recent service provider. Criminal liability is probably mitigated if they relied on a competent professional service provider, depending on the laws in the state. I just hope the owner has a good insurance policy, it is much easier to get money from the insurance company than from the owner, who may choose to fight the case further.
__________________

__________________
Tom

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.