Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #21

Which weight Timbrens did you all get. I got the 6000# model and it helps all around with sway and bouncing but it by no means stopped the thing from squatting. I may have picked up a half inch or so without any weight distribution hitch on. I still like the timbrens and would recommend them but they didn't seem to help as much as everyone else is stating. Maybe I should have went with the stiffer ones?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by travyp View Post
Which weight Timbrens did you all get. I got the 6000# model and it helps all around with sway and bouncing but it by no means stopped the thing from squatting. I may have picked up a half inch or so without any weight distribution hitch on. I still like the timbrens and would recommend them but they didn't seem to help as much as everyone else is stating. Maybe I should have went with the stiffer ones?
That's the big advantage to airbags, they put you in control of how much squatting, etc you have or don't have.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #23

Unless you have experience with both, I can't see how a true comparison can be made. From what I have read here , both choices offer the same or similar result. One user may like the flexibility of adjusting the airbags and another may like the ease of install, price and maintenance free aspect of the Timbrens. It's all a matter of choice and preference. DUNNC, I'll give this match to you for your passion and great arguments for the airbag. Maybe if you try the Timbrens, you may have a different opinion. I cannot comment on airbags as I have never used them. Maybe next time around, I will opt for airbags. Cheers to all, whether you're riding on rubber or air.

2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Unless you have experience with both, I can't see how a true comparison can be made. From what I have read here , both choices offer the same or similar result. One user may like the flexibility of adjusting the airbags and another may like the ease of install, price and maintenance free aspect of the Timbrens. It's all a matter of choice and preference. DUNNC, I'll give this match to you for your passion and great arguments for the airbag. Maybe if you try the Timbrens, you may have a different opinion. I cannot comment on airbags as I have never used them. Maybe next time around, I will opt for airbags. Cheers to all, whether you're riding on rubber or air.

Wasn't trying to win a match as you call it, just stating as I did previously that I don't want something controlling the ride height, etc. over which I have no option but taking what it delivers. The Timbrens may work perfect for some folks, I just prefer the adjustable features of airbags.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
Hob

Why wouldn't adding a leaf in your springs do the same thing on the rear of your truck? I did that on a 1998 Chevy half ton and it was done with minimal amount of money and very little effort on my part doing it myself.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob
Why wouldn't adding a leaf in your springs do the same thing on the rear of your truck? I did that on a 1998 Chevy half ton and it was done with minimal amount of money and very little effort on my part doing it myself.
That would be fine if all vehicles had leaf springs, mine has coil springs as do others I'm sure.
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
When I use my truck for other purposes, I don't want the stiff, choppy ride. With the air bags, I just push a button and let the air down and if I want to carry a heavier load or tow the 5er, I push another button and add the amount of air I want.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
Brigitte

Happy with my Timbrens (Thanks Rugged Brown) and I do not have to worry about them. Next truck and fifth wheel, I'll be using timbrens again!!!
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
When I use my truck for other purposes, I don't want the stiff, choppy ride. With the air bags, I just push a button and let the air down and if I want to carry a heavier load or tow the 5er, I push another button and add the amount of air I want.
............and on those campsites that are not level I can drop the rear of my truck 4" so I don't have to wait what seems like 10 minutes for my landing gear. Same with hooking back up. I can also raise the front of my camper 4" with my bags. All of this is done by a push of a button.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
............and on those campsites that are not level I can drop the rear of my truck 4" so I don't have to wait what seems like 10 minutes for my landing gear. Same with hooking back up. I can also raise the front of my camper 4" with my bags. All of this is done by a push of a button.
X2
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #31

I had never heard of Timbrens when I bought the airbags but I am happy with what I have. I just have them each routed to the gap under my tailgate and air them independently. It's not a big deal if you know where they need to be loaded and empty. I think they were about $250 online and they install with simple tools in under an hour & I am not a mechanic.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post

I betcha your airbags don't produce beer on tap like my Timbrens.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #33

I have air bags with a Viair 10007 onboard air system. I always thought that airbags were not needed if you had a dually. Wrong! lots fo people have them on everything from half tons to 450 series trucks. I was pleasantly surprised when I added them to my dually. Even though my pin weight is around 3000 pounds, the truck would sometimes porpoise really bad on the interstates. Now at just the touch of a button, I can stop that! Run them at about 12psi when empty(actually rides better now) and then about 30-35 when loaded. Plus, I put an air chuck under the side of my truck so I have air available for tires, floats or what have you. Never had Timbrens, just bags. Won't tow heavy again without them.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I betcha your airbags don't produce beer on tap like my Timbrens.
No, but they can sure pressurize the keg.

Tags
air bags