Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #1

timbrens vs. airbags

tried to find in search nothing there.
first trip out with new TV. i have an andersen WDH, and was able to get it set up great the tongue weight is about 600 Lb. and the TT weight i would guess loaded about 5000lb. (TT dry weight 3990 Lb
towing with a 2017 GMC sierra 1500 with tow package
front fender to ground without hitch 37 1/8" with hitch 37 1'4"
rear 39" without hitch 38 1/4" with hitch

i am experiencing some porpoising, it's not terrible but i don't like the feel. my question is who has timbrens and who has airbags and would either help ? what are the pros and cons if you have timbrens would you rather have airbags and vice versa ???
thanks for help in advance
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #2

You need to add to your equalizer bars. There should be more front end loading. Right now your unloading the front causing your problem. You should not need any supplimental suspension aids, just proper hitch setup.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #3

If you don't like it now. timbrens may make it worse. As the suspension moves and transitions from no contact for the timbrens to full contact, there is a noticeable change in ride harshness. And one rear tire can be at a different point in suspension travel than the other.

I hated the ride, ditched them and when to airbags and it was worth the change.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
You need to add to your equalizer bars. There should be more front end loading. Right now your unloading the front causing your problem. You should not need any supplimental suspension aids, just proper hitch setup.
i have the hitch set up the front is only 1/8" higher with the TT hooked up and without anything loaded on the hitch. i thought that was pretty good.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
tried to find in search nothing there.
first trip out with new TV. i have an andersen WDH, and was able to get it set up great the tongue weight is about 600 Lb. and the TT weight i would guess loaded about 5000lb. (TT dry weight 3990 Lb
towing with a 2017 GMC sierra 1500 with tow package
front fender to ground without hitch 37 1/8" with hitch 37 1'4"
rear 39" without hitch 38 1/4" with hitch

i am experiencing some porpoising, it's not terrible but i don't like the feel. my question is who has timbrens and who has airbags and would either help ? what are the pros and cons if you have timbrens would you rather have airbags and vice versa ???
thanks for help in advance
What is the measurement on the rear without the trailer?

The reason I ask is the Timbren will not even make contact with the rear axle until a certain amount of squat and if the Timbren is just barely making contact with the axle (not under enough load) it will not make an improvement in the ride...probably make it worse. The Timbrens are best utilized if you're near your max payload.

I'm pleased with the ride on my truck stock with the trailer fully loaded (payload about 50% of max) but their will be a load later this year where I will have another motorcycle in the bed of the truck with the trailer so I've been experimenting with Sumo springs (similar to Timbren minus the harshness). I installed them and then machined a spacer to sit on the axle. The spacer is just touching the Sumo Spring when unloaded. I haven't hooked up my trailer to see what the results are but I did pull a friends trailer (650lb Atv in the bed/650lb tongue/900lbs in the cab) and was impressed. The two passengers during that pull (who both own trailers) made multiple comments about how well the truck rode (I don't use a wdh though). Anyway, just another option to consider.

Edit:..I forgot to mention. One of the passengers who commented on how great the truck rode has a truck like mine and an expensive air bag setup.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
i have the hitch set up the front is only 1/8" higher with the TT hooked up and without anything loaded on the hitch. i thought that was pretty good.
That is an eighth of an inch lighter on the front. Now if you were a quarter of an inch lower and still down what you said on the rear, Ill betmyour handling issues would all but disappear.
What tires are you using? P metrics or LTs on the truck??
If your using P metrics, be sure they are inflated to max as listed on the sidewall. P metrics have really soft sidewalls and can contribute to poor handling when towing.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #7

I have and like both on my two tow vehicles:

Timbrens on my F-250 work great while towing my 6500 lb 29' TT. Kind of makes my F-250 feel like a F-350 when loaded. No maintenance necessary on Timbrens. The truck's ride is stock when not loaded/towing as the Timbrens do not engage unless there is a load on the truck. The Timbrens work well along with my Equal-i-zer WDH.

The rear suspension on my Sequoia SR5 is soft, so I added air bags (the higher end Sequoia Platinum model already includes adjustable air bags). The airbags help even when not towing if I have a fully loaded vehicle and the bags are adjustable for different loads. Air bags require some attention as they can leak and slowly lose pressure over time. I installed an air on board compressor and analog pressure gauge for easy adjustment.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

[SIZE="4"]

IMO timbrens are worthless as they are not adjustable. Air bags would be. don't waste your money trying to save a dime. Airbags work all the time and at whatever air pressure you desire. I highly recommend the auto in flat with a blue tooth remote controller. It will be the best $800-1000 you will ever spend. I carry 15 PSI when not towing for the extra smooth ride. 30- 50 gives me the best performance when towing depending on load and x-winds.

Also I cannot stress enough the importance of MAXIMUM cold pressure in your tires to prevent sway. This includes front and rear. This stiffens up your side walls and is extremely important on tire performance especially under a load.

Jack/SIZE]
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
What is the measurement on the rear without the trailer?

The reason I ask is the Timbren will not even make contact with the rear axle until a certain amount of squat and if the Timbren is just barely making contact with the axle (not under enough load) it will not make an improvement in the ride...probably make it worse. The Timbrens are best utilized if you're near your max payload.

I'm pleased with the ride on my truck stock with the trailer fully loaded (payload about 50% of max) but their will be a load later this year where I will have another motorcycle in the bed of the truck with the trailer so I've been experimenting with Sumo springs (similar to Timbren minus the harshness). I installed them and then machined a spacer to sit on the axle. The spacer is just touching the Sumo Spring when unloaded. I haven't hooked up my trailer to see what the results are but I did pull a friends trailer (650lb Atv in the bed/650lb tongue/900lbs in the cab) and was impressed. The two passengers during that pull (who both own trailers) made multiple comments about how well the truck rode (I don't use a wdh though). Anyway, just another option to consider.

Edit:..I forgot to mention. One of the passengers who commented on how great the truck rode has a truck like mine and an expensive air bag setup.
39" without 38 1/4" with
Old 05-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
[SIZE="4"]

IMO timbrens are worthless as they are not adjustable. Air bags would be. don't waste your money trying to save a dime. Airbags work all the time and at whatever air pressure you desire. I highly recommend the auto in flat with a blue tooth remote controller. It will be the best $800-1000 you will ever spend. I carry 15 PSI when not towing for the extra smooth ride. 30- 50 gives me the best performance when towing depending on load and x-winds.

Also I cannot stress enough the importance of MAXIMUM cold pressure in your tires to prevent sway. This includes front and rear. This stiffens up your side walls and is extremely important on tire performance especially under a load.

Jack/SIZE]
Actually i didn't experience any sway even when passed by a semi, my only issue is the porpoising, and like i said it wasn't bad
Old 05-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #11

Quote:
That is an eighth of an inch lighter on the front. Now if you were a quarter of an inch lower and still down what you said on the rear, Ill betmyour handling issues would all but disappear.
What tires are you using? P metrics or LTs on the truck??
If your using P metrics, be sure they are inflated to max as listed on the sidewall. P metrics have really soft sidewalls and can contribute to poor handling when towing.
I have the stock POS goodyear wranglers the came on it mas psi is 51 lb i have them at 50 for towing
Old 05-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #12

Good to know. Im still stuck on hitch adjustment. I suspect if you load the front a bit more, and I mean just a bit, maybe a quarter inch you will be good. As one last,thought, what sort of tread pattern? AS is not bad. But if the tires have a really aggressive tread pattern that ciuld be contributing to your concernyour not dropping enough to warrant add ons. Timbrens, if you read up on them you will see your not dropping enough to fully engage them. Consequently towing over a rough road or hitting pot holes the rear end will slam down on the Timbrens causing horrible ride. Air bags work all the time. 5-10 PSI unloaded and enough air when loaded to bring the rear back level. 3/4 inch drop is nothing. Heck my dually drops 3 inches when loaded, and I dont consider that much.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Good to know. Im still stuck on hitch adjustment. I suspect if you load the front a bit more, and I mean just a bit, maybe a quarter inch you will be good. As one last,thought, what sort of tread pattern? AS is not bad. But if the tires have a really aggressive tread pattern that ciuld be contributing to your concern.
It's not to aggressive just the MS tires they put on a 4X4
Old 05-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #14

Just a note. If you install air bags it is important to set the bags at the pressure you want to use before adjusting your wdh. Adjusting the pressure after you are set up can change the tension on your wdh and negate the wdh possibly making things worse.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #15

I'm definitely not going with the timbrens lots of good advice here will try to get that 1/8" bach in the front and will be getting the airbags
Old 05-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #16

I have had both Timbrens and airbags. I much prefer the Timbrens. Simple, always self adjusting, nothing to fail, easy to install. The truck I bought had airbags from the previous owner, they are fine but if I was buying and installing I have done Timbrens twice. One on a 2004 Chevy 2500 and once on a 2008 Chrysler Aspen. My current 2004 Ram 2500 has the airbags with manual fill. We towed up across Montana and dumped the trailer and did some rough "off" roading at one point. I should have aired down the bags but didn't want the hassle of then airing back up. Basically that's how the airbags live, at towing pressure because I dont want to mess with them. Never a problem with the Timbrens, you dont even know they are there but they keep things level. The Aspen literally took less than 20 mins to install using only a floor jack as a tool. The Chevy needed brackets clamped on so was more difficult.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Good to know. Im still stuck on hitch adjustment. I suspect if you load the front a bit more, and I mean just a bit, maybe a quarter inch you will be good.
I agree as well. You are too light in the front.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #18

I am going to work on it this weekend but i really can't understand why 1/8" can mean that much
Old 05-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #19

Quote:
I am going to work on it this weekend but i really can't understand why 1/8" can mean that much
You unweighted your front. I feel the same thing when I do short tows without the equilizing bars on.

You need to get to the original height at least. I would go a bit more.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #20

you really think 1/8" from unloaded makes enough to cause bounce ?

Tags
airbags