Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #61

For the small TT or a really small 5th, a gas rig probably will do. But, for us old, retired, long time and distance traveling folks, a diesel is the only way to go. In our summer campground, the only gas trucks are 1500 size pulling baby TT. Those of us with 5th wheels in the 15k+ range a gas would never work. Even a gas 3500 DRW might have the payload, but not the towing ability.

Me, happy with my '12 Ram 3500 DRW CTD, 3.73 non def. Below 4000' at 65mph about 8.5mpg. Above 4000' about 10.5mpg at 65 towing 15k 5th. I'll top Monarch Pass, 11,300' around 40mph and maybe touch the brakes 3 times on the way off the mountain.

GM and Ford went to def in '11. Ram went to def in '13. In pickup's.

As to cost, I figure what I buy it for, what I can sell it for and the difference is what it cost me.. A 5 year old gas DRW truck vs a diesel DRW truck,, I am betting the true cost of ownership will be less in the diesel.

Like having the right tool for the job. You don't take a knife to a gun fight........
Jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #62

Nearly 1000 pounds more 5han my 2006 Diesel.

First full tank hand calculated, none towing. 17.5mpg
RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #63

I’m not sure I completely understand how some of these forums work. I buy a new truck, all excited. I come here to celebrate my good fortune. I don’t ask for any advise. And some folks proceed to piss in my Chereos. I’m basically told I’m a fool for not buying a diesel to tow a 7000 trailer. On another site I was called an idiot for trading in a 12 year old diesel truck with 200,000 miles for a new gas truck. To all you who congratulated me and share my good fortune....Thank You. To the rest of you....Who Asked You!
RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #64

Comparing trucks that are 12 years apart is kind of like apples and oranges, without the engine change. My '95 Ram 2500 diesel couldn't hold a candle to my 2014, but there are 19 years of R&D between them, too.
dlambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB19RR View Post
I’m not sure I completely understand how some of these forums work. I buy a new truck, all excited. I come here to celebrate my good fortune. I don’t ask for any advise. And some folks proceed to piss in my Chereos. I’m basically told I’m a fool for not buying a diesel to tow a 7000 trailer. On another site I was called an idiot for trading in a 12 year old diesel truck with 200,000 miles for a new gas truck. To all you who congratulated me and share my good fortune....Thank You. To the rest of you....Who Asked You!
I recently pulled 4k miles with my truck to Yellowstone. I had zero issues with truck other than the OEM tires lasted less than 30k miles. My trailer weighs 9500 and I was fine through the mountains.

last year we pulled to Glacier NP without an issue as well.

We call our truck the blue beast.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #66

It comes down to the application...

I love reading threads like this and seeing the different points of view but when it is said and done it really comes down to the what you need.

I have owned a number of trucks, both High displacement Gas and Diesel and can say that each has their place in the scheme of things. It all comes down to the following issues:

Use,
Cost,
Complexity,
Performance,
Reliability,
Fuel availability and cost

And I am sure we could come up with a few more. Not to beat the point to death but if you are a full timer and dragging a heavy 5th wheel through the mountains weekly you would be very smart to purchase a Diesel. The newer gas trucks do not have the torque, transmissions or brakes and will not perform nearly as well as a Diesel especially ones equipped with exhaust brakes for down hill braking. Ive done it with both and there is no comparison.

Now with that said Gas trucks are fantastic for general use, light to mid duty normal towing on light grades. The newer engines provide reasonable torque (perhaps not good as the old V10 Fords or the 8.8 liter GM) but they do the job. Overall Gas as is cheaper, easier to find, not nearly as complex, quieter and usually ride better because they are lighter. For the most part properly equipped they are bullet proof. Plus they can be purchased for a great deal less then their Diesel counterparts.

My suggestion to those trying to make this decision is: do your homework and consider some of the issues I have noted above. Do the math, if you even think you want a Diesel then go to Enterprise and rent both type of trucks and test them first hand.

Finally, I would like to make a comment about complexity and the new Diesels, anything built in 08 and later are considered clean Diesels (mandated by the government). These will be equipped with EGR, DEF, DPF, SCR, tons of sensors and a very complex computer control system that manages these systems. These Diesels run cleaner then Gas but can be a pain when these systems malfunction. Each year the manufactures make them better but the failure rate is still much higher their Gas counterparts.

OP, good luck, enjoy your new truck and many happy camping excursions to you!
RoadNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #67

Quote:
Welcome to the RAM Family I'm in the camp of buying what you want and not having to defend it to anyone or justify it....I drive a diesel and pull 8K do I need it no...Shoot even a half ton gasser would probably work for me depending on who is in that camp of thinking Other's will say I should have bought a 1 ton DRW for future consideration those are posts for a different day at in the end I bought what I wanted and have no regrets.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadNomad View Post
I love reading threads like this and seeing the different points of view but when it is said and done it really comes down to the what you need.

I have owned a number of trucks, both High displacement Gas and Diesel and can say that each has their place in the scheme of things. It all comes down to the following issues:

Use,
Cost,
Complexity,
Performance,
Reliability,
Fuel availability and cost

And I am sure we could come up with a few more.
you know why I got a Ram? cause My wife hated the seats in the Silverado and Sierra. I was told, if you can find it in Blue, you can have it. Gotta love the internet
Old 07-03-2018, 11:08 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Malfunction View Post
I have a Coachman Apex 300BHS. Weighs about 7000 lbs fully loaded for a week or two adventure. Last summer, took it on a 7500 mile 3 week cross country trip towing it with my 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD.

Even when it was 110 degrees out out West and climbing into the mountains, that Cummins pulls like that trailer isn't even back there. Overall I averaged about 13 mpg and I can say without a doubt that pulling that with a half ton gas engine would have been sloooooow and most likely overheated I was really slowing down. I was able to climb the mountains going north out of Salt Lake City at 60 mph with the AC on while all the tractor trailers and other travel trailers were in the in the slow lane doing 25 mph. It was over 100 degrees out and that climb is insane. I just set the cruise and blew right by them all. I ran about 10 degrees hotter than I normally do.

And the exhaust brake!!! That thing is just awesome. Nevermind tow/haul mode. With the exhaust brake, I can just set the cruise at whatever speed I want to go down a hill and the truck's brains do the rest by applying the exhaust brake as needed. No tapping the brakes or constantly changing gears. Or I can just take my foot off the gas and the exhaust brake will slow me down like I threw out an anchor.

And one other great thing I love about diesel on a long trip pulling a trailer. I got a Pilot/Flying J account card that lets me go through the big rig lanes. No worrying about trying to jockey around my crew cab truck and 35' trailer around the gas pumps out front and wondering if I'm going to be able to make the turn, is the pump on the right side, or will I be able to get out. Instead I can pull right through, fill my diesel tank in like a minute, and also they have DEF on tap, if needed.

I had a half ton gas that got about 8-9 mpg on flat highway pulling the same trailer. And what was with a 3.92 rear, 8 spd automatic, and 5.7 Hemi. There's no way I will ever go back to a gasser if I'm pulling 7000 lbs or more. Diesel all the way.
I just upgraded from 1/2 ton Ram to 3/4 ton CTD for exactly the reasons you quoted! The pull up out of Phoenix is brutal on gasser's oil temps but the biggest headache was trying to get into and out of fuel islands! We're now 60'+ long with trailer and it was hard before finding enough room to maneuver.

We just came down from Flagstaff and the exhaust brake makes that descent a breeze! Totally worth the extra expense of the diesel, not to mention more power, stability, and even better mpg!

What is the Flying J card to use the truck island? Can I not go in there otherwise?
Off Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #70

Quote:

Take it with a grain of salt, folks can't help themselves. Some folks swear you need a diesel to pull a lawnmower and others swear they can pull a 20K pound Fiver up the Appalachians with a 5.3 chevy 1/2 ton..

You have a GREAT truck for the weight your pulling and have plenty of wiggle room for something bigger if you want to pull that also. You're happy, Thats all that matters.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #71
nmdcporter

Me too

We did almost the same thing. We had a 2003 Dodge 3500 disel long bed and traded for a 2018 Dodge 1500 5.7 hemi short bed. The only thing I added was air bags to our new truck. 5K miles so far and 3.5K of that is towing. Really like the ride and the MPG is better than my disel.
nmdcporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #72
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:

You will see on this forum that the diesel guys always step in no matter what. I like you just bought a new Ram 2500 with 6.4 and love it. I will never own a diesel and I've bought a lot of trucks over the years and towed a wide variety of trailer. Enjoy your new Ram and forget about the comments from the diesel guys. I do. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #73

Congrats on new stuff!

Some of it is testosterone. "My stuff is better than your stuff"...and I NEED to tell you about it.

Some of it is an honest attempt to help you, even if it might be painful for you.

Some of it is just blather. Some of it is just hard to read.

Just pull what you have, with whatever tv you have! Just do it. It will be clear, in short order, exactly what the situation is, and what is needed if anything, to fix it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #74

Evidently some fellas have not only financial but emotional investment in their diesels.

Note that the Ford V-10 gas engine is powering Class A and Class C motorhomes, with GVWRs up to 26K and GCWRs up to 30K, quite satisfactorily. Yeah, it runs high revs up mountains but it gets you up. No overheating, no breaking, no drama.

I think eventually turbocharged gasoline engines will replace diesels in RV use, the Ford 3.5 Ecoboost has a sterling reputation as a half ton towing engine already and now GM as well is making a very powerful 3.5 turbo V-6. These turbo gas motors can make very high horsepower as well as having flat power curves and lots of low end power. And they avoid the pollution issues of diesels.

I’d like to see a Class A pusher with a 5 liter turbo gas engine making around 500hp and 700 torque. Or a 7 liter making 850hp and 1000 torque. Yeah.
irishtom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #75

Quote:
Congrats on your ride. I chimed in with my gas to diesel experience. I dont think people are trying to piss in your cheerios. I think trucks cost a LOT of money these days and once you are in it, it's hard to get out of a potentially expensive mistake. I had gas. Upgraded my gas. Then upgraded to diesel. Sometimes you just don't know what you don't know until you do it.

For me, long distance all over the country and climbing mountain passes to 11,000ft pulling 7000 lbs was enough to convince me I needed a diesel. I think what it comes down to is what is best for you, your situation, and your wallet.

The combination of the 3 should always be your answer, not what somebody says in a forum
Major Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Malfunction View Post
Congrats on your ride. I chimed in with my gas to diesel experience. I dont think people are trying to piss in your cheerios...
The poster rationalizes pissing in cheerios and does a little more of it to boot.
irishtom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #77

#forumlife

Quote:
In my experience, that is what it's like on forums. No matter the context it always turns into the same kind of conversation. You have a great truck, fits your needs, and will tow your trailer all day long without breaking a sweat. Enjoy it!
Off Rez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck