Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 08:03 PM   #41
llr

Assuming you drive an automatic don't worry about the gear, use tow/haul mode or lock out overdrive.

For fuel stops don't ignore the option of backing out, rear camera and/or a spotter will help.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:04 PM   #42

mj0528,
You seem concerned about the "strain" on your TV. Nobody hears that motor and tranny working (hard) better than you. May be time to visit the 3/4 ton market.
The choices are as big as the maps you travel. Gas,diesel? 4x4? Rear end gears? Payloads? Ect...
Truthfully, you must consider the real service you are going to need from your TV. Daily commuter plus a tow vehicle on occasion? Full time towing? For one a gasser is probably best, for the other a diesel is the ticket. And future planning is also to be considered. Meaning, are you going to be looking at a new rig to tow in the future, maybe a 5er?
I can promise you one thing, you will travel much more comfortable knowing you are not pushing your equipment to the max.

The tips for using Google maps for gas stops is valid. I have a gasser and am taking a long trip this week. Doing just over 300 miles a day with stops every 3 hours. Got the gas stations scouted out including which drive to turn in and pull out of. Huge advantage seeing these places before you pull in and get stuck.
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #43

I start out thinking I'm only going to drive two hundred miles a day but it hardly ever happens. I normally drive at least four hundred miles and most days more. DW does not drive the truck. I don't like to start before 9 am. I start out at 65 but most days I run 70 and better. I have a one hundred gallon extra fuel tank so I normally only stop for fifteen minutes or so, pump diesel, get some snacks, use the bathroom and hit the road. Works for me
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
Assuming you drive an automatic don't worry about the gear, use tow/haul mode or lock out overdrive.

For fuel stops don't ignore the option of backing out, rear camera and/or a spotter will help.

I try to keep the tranny from hunting. I'll go from 5 to 4 to 5 to 4 and back to 5 (6 speed) in the hills. Issues with hunting?
mj0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
mj0528,

You seem concerned about the "strain" on your TV. Nobody hears that motor and tranny working (hard) better than you. May be time to visit the 3/4 ton market.

The choices are as big as the maps you travel. Gas,diesel? 4x4? Rear end gears? Payloads? Ect...

Truthfully, you must consider the real service you are going to need from your TV. Daily commuter plus a tow vehicle on occasion? Full time towing? For one a gasser is probably best, for the other a diesel is the ticket. And future planning is also to be considered. Meaning, are you going to be looking at a new rig to tow in the future, maybe a 5er?

I can promise you one thing, you will travel much more comfortable knowing you are not pushing your equipment to the max.

The tips for using Google maps for gas stops is valid. I have a gasser and am taking a long trip this week. Doing just over 300 miles a day with stops every 3 hours. Got the gas stations scouted out including which drive to turn in and pull out of. Huge advantage seeing these places before you pull in and get stuck.

RMc

Absolutely! Can't wait to step up to a 3/4 ton but I gotta make due until spring next year so it is what it is for now. With a 3/4 ton, I'm all over the country easy
Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #46

I bought a new F150 EB SCrew late last year and haven't been on many outings since then. We just returned from a two-week 1800 mile road trip pulling our 21' hybrid to three different stops in the Smokies. (Longer trips are the only way we can escape the heat in North Florida, and the eclipse wasn't coming to us.)

It wasn't until the return trip (last 550 mi leg) that I finally got the WDH and payload distribution right. Before that it wasn't scary but I definitely felt passing trucks and there was a little porpoising on rough roads. The truck is within limits in all respects but the OEM shocks and P tires allow the truck to squirm a bit.

DW tolerated 2 different CAT Scale sessions on the trip, without compiaint. When I finally got it tuned, it was a big difference. I still feel trucks passing but lateral and vertical movement was dampened significantly. Cruising at 65 (tire speed limit) was comfortable and I'm not a person who's in a hurry. The EB pulled and stopped with no effort at all, and still had plenty of acceleration, including on steep grades.

It's ironic that I finally got the hitch and load tuned because we now plan to upgrade a bit to a 25' Murphy bed model. That's still within my specs but I plan to add Bilstein shocks, stiffer tires, and maybe a Hellwig rear sway bar. The new trailer will mean starting over with the WDH adjustments.

To the OP, make sure you have your hitch and load distributed ideally. It may take a few attempts to get it right. If you haven't done the three-weight thing on a CAT Scale with your full load and family aboard, you might be surprised by the result. Do it again after you make adjustments and drive that way for awhile.

Stay within the limits of both your trailer and TV. After-market parts like stiffer shocks might improve handling but don't take that to mean you can exceed the posted weight limits.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:36 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj0528 View Post
Yea, it looks amazing and close to where I went to college (Texas Tech) so definitely looking forward to taking in the plains and canyons. Hopefully the drive out of the canyons won't be too steep for too long. If I can get the wife on my side for a 3/4 ton then it will be a win win trip for sure!

Guns up! Fellow Red Raider here. We did several 400+ mile days this summer pulling with our Yukon and similar trailer. 300 is long, but doable. Have fun!
wormdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #48
Insert witty title here

I do 300 miles before lunch.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I remember 600-800 mile driving days. Today I drive slower and fewer hours. I actually "see" more than I used to and enjoy it a whole lot more. No "end of vacation looming" or job to hurry home to.
I also used to be able to drive about 24 hours. I'd be dead for about a day afterward, but I could do it (I know, that was nuts). Today, there is no way. Without towing I can drive about 10 hours. With towing about 8. Things change as we get older and (hopefully) smarter.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #50

A long trip for us is 10k-13k miles over 3 months. We try to max at 300 miles per day, and try to stop at places that offer good sightseeing opportunities so we can spend a couple of days there. I always have a campground reservation just to be sure I don't have to start searching for a WalMart parking lot. I also make an effort to leave early enough to arrive before dark. I'm 74 and do all the driving because my wife isn't comfortable driving with the trailer in tow.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormdood View Post
Guns up! Fellow Red Raider here. We did several 400+ mile days this summer pulling with our Yukon and similar trailer. 300 is long, but doable. Have fun!

Right on man!
Old 08-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
A long trip for us is 10k-13k miles over 3 months. We try to max at 300 miles per day, and try to stop at places that offer good sightseeing opportunities so we can spend a couple of days there. I always have a campground reservation just to be sure I don't have to start searching for a WalMart parking lot. I also make an effort to leave early enough to arrive before dark. I'm 74 and do all the driving because my wife isn't comfortable driving with the trailer in tow.
That's my goal but we're still working stiffs. Our pattern now on longer vacations is for the first and last day to be long drives, so we can get into the territory we want to visit. Once there, we linger, and our moves are shorter.

We also don't return on the day before we have to go back to work. We give ourselves a day or so to clean up and recuperate. Otherwise, the stress of getting back home and back to work negates the vacation.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #53

I didn't read the entire thread word for word, but one thing you may look at for longer trips is purchasing a Scangauge II by Linear Logic.

It's essentially a digital display that plugs into your OBD2 port on your truck, and will give you oil temperature, transmission temperature, coolant temperature, and other readouts in real time. It mounts easily with velcro or double-sided tape, but others have performed more permanent and elegant mounting solutions. I have one and don't leave home on a longer trip without it, as it's nice to be able to keep an eye on my temperatures, especially on longer trips/hotter weather.

They currently run $159.95 on Amazon. Steep, in my estimation, but gives me peace of mind...

http://www.scangauge.com
2018 Camping Season: 48 nights, 7,216 Miles
2019 Camping Season: 52 nights, 6,721 Miles
2020 Camping Season: 67 nights, 7,268 Miles
KansasJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasJohn View Post
I didn't read the entire thread word for word, but one thing you may look at for longer trips is purchasing a Scangauge II by Linear Logic.

It's essentially a digital display that plugs into your OBD2 port on your truck, and will give you oil temperature, transmission temperature, coolant temperature, and other readouts in real time. It mounts easily with velcro or double-sided tape, but others have performed more permanent and elegant mounting solutions. I have one and don't leave home on a longer trip without it, as it's nice to be able to keep an eye on my temperatures, especially on longer trips/hotter weather.

They currently run $159.95 on Amazon. Steep, in my estimation, but gives me peace of mind...

http://www.scangauge.com

That's cool! Thanks!
Old 08-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #55

BTW...very few vehicles support oil temperature even though OBD2 may support it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #56
Insert witty title here

My truck displays all this information on the instrument panel.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #57

Not trying to knock a sale.. but I'd recommend instead of scan gauge..to order the wifi or Bluetooth obd2 port adapters ($15-30) and then install dash command or torque pro apps on your cellphone and tablets . Reads all that and whole lot more.. I've been using them for over a year..puts most anything else to shame.. plenty of YouTube on those apps and the obd2 adaptors.
William_Tell46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Tell46 View Post
Not trying to knock a sale.. but I'd recommend instead of scan gauge..to order the wifi or Bluetooth obd2 port adapters ($15-30) and then install dash command or torque pro apps on your cellphone and tablets . Reads all that and whole lot more.. I've been using them for over a year..puts most anything else to shame.. plenty of YouTube on those apps and the obd2 adaptors.
I agree...way more economical way to go.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
Took our longest trip yet, this past May, down to Lake Cumberland, from Cincinnati, about 250 miles in one direction.

Can your family drive separate? My wife and kids took my Honda Civic. It was nice that I didn't have to stop for bathroom breaks all the time. Just gas, once.
What's your tv and tt?
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #60

Travel Trailer Museum in Amarillo

since you are heading that far and that direction, if you can make some time to go to Jack Sisemore Traveland in Amarillo and see their Travel Trailer museum. I will bet that you will not be disappointed.
deanfurr is offline   Reply With Quote