Old 08-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #31

I might have missed in the good advice posted but the OP never stated what type of WDH he is using.
If Skippy38 is using an Equalizer 4 point, then no problem on the freeway. 60 -65MPH is good. If using a standard hitch with chains and a friction sway bar, I would recommend tightening the sway bar a turn or two to avoid the backlash from big rigs and cross winds.
crunchman

crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #32
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
Texas speed limit says 60 mph during the day and 55 night for recreational vehicles no matter what that 70 mph posted speed sign says.

well..... actually..... in 2011 Texas House Bill 1353 was passed and signed into law, it was all in regards to speed limits as they relate to all vehicles. Except for school buses, there are no more laws that make trucks and cars and trucks pulling 5th wheels or whatever drive at different speeds. Furthermore, the day/night speed differential is also completely done away with. It also raised the limit to 80MPH on many rural highways. So, if you wanted to you could legally pull your camper at 80MPH in some parts of Texas.

I have personally only been to 75 pulling mine, 80 seems insane...

Old 08-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
I might have missed in the good advice posted but the OP never stated what type of WDH he is using.
If Skippy38 is using an Equalizer 4 point, then no problem on the freeway. 60 -65MPH is good. If using a standard hitch with chains and a friction sway bar, I would recommend tightening the sway bar a turn or two to avoid the backlash from big rigs and cross winds.
crunchman
I am currently using the standard Pro Series WDH and sway bars. I have only been running with one sway bar but have two available so I can use both and tighten them down a little more. The TT does not sway at all with one bar. The Equalizer 4 point looks pretty darn slick, I may have to upgrade my hitch....
Old 08-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
I am currently using the standard Pro Series WDH and sway bars. I have only been running with one sway bar but have two available so I can use both and tighten them down a little more. The TT does not sway at all with one bar. The Equalizer 4 point looks pretty darn slick, I may have to upgrade my hitch....

Matt, what you have is more than enough for your unit. Two sway bars is even a little over kill, imo. I am surprised that you even need one sway bar. Save your money to spend on something else. I drove a 29 ft xxx for 15 years and never put a sway bar on it. I now have a heavy two slide Hemisphere 35 foot and use one.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #35

I have no idea where y'all are getting your info on towing RV's in Texas.

As far as towing for the less experienced... Maintain your speed when being passed. If you are going slower than posted limits use courtesy and common sense letting people pass. Plan your trips off peak hours. Double check lights signals and chains at every stop. Make sure chains aren't dragging. It's amazing how many wildfires are started from dragging chains and blow outs.

Just my observations.

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I tow right about 62mph almost all of the time (regardless of the speed limit- be it 55 or 70). I've never had a problem, even around major cities (Baltimore, DC, etc.).

I generally try to stick to the right lane unless there are a lot of on-ramps and then I'm one to the left of that, just to avoid often lane changes.

As well, I try to plan as far as head as possible. My wife is my navigator and we shoot for being in the correct exit/turning/etc. lane as early as possible (1 mile+).
X2. And you need to have a mindset of not "pressing" to make time and miles. Just do your selected speed and be alert yet relaxed. My wife and I often put an audio book in the sound system. Time and miles fly by.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #37

tips for towing

Sounds like most folks drive with the over drive turned off unless on a grade. If I turn mine off it goes into overdrive on only a slight grade.

When should the OD be turned off, when a long grade is in view, or leave it off for small grades. I realize this is all relative but I just drove from Phoenix AZ to Portland OR and got a finger cramp turning the darn thing off and on.

Trying to save fuel by turning it off but wonder if I'm doing damage going in and out all the time.

BTW Great tips above, I go between 55 and 60. 30 foot coachman tt and Dodge 3500 dually V10 gas sucker and get about 8Mpg on the flats.

Jim
Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Matt, what you have is more than enough for your unit. Two sway bars is even a little over kill, imo. I am surprised that you even need one sway bar. Save your money to spend on something else. I drove a 29 ft xxx for 15 years and never put a sway bar on it. I now have a heavy two slide Hemisphere 35 foot and use one.
Thanks man, that's what I wanted to hear. Its not that I NEED the sway bar, I just tried it on the last trip. The first two trips went fine without it.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaskell View Post
Sounds like most folks drive with the over drive turned off unless on a grade. If I turn mine off it goes into overdrive on only a slight grade.

When should the OD be turned off, when a long grade is in view, or leave it off for small grades. I realize this is all relative but I just drove from Phoenix AZ to Portland OR and got a finger cramp turning the darn thing off and on.

Trying to save fuel by turning it off but wonder if I'm doing damage going in and out all the time.

BTW Great tips above, I go between 55 and 60. 30 foot coachman tt and Dodge 3500 dually V10 gas sucker and get about 8Mpg on the flats.

Jim
imo, your v10 should have all the power that it needs with out you turning the OD on and off. imo, turn it on and leave it alone. It will down shift with it needs to on any grade that is too steep. Turning the OverDrive off does not 'save fuel', as it puts you in a lower gear and raises your RPMs and burns more fuel. Lower gear and higher RPMs makes it easier for your TV to pull the grade, but your RPMs go higher... (burning more fuel). imo, let the OD shift in and out on it's own, when it wants to.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #40

tips for towing

Brother Les,
Thanks for the note. If I leave the OD turned off, will the transmission not hunt back and forth? Owners manual says keepOD off ( button pushed in and no OD available) when towing. Or am I getting confused between off and on. To me off, is as normal driving and overdrive available. On is when towing up a hill and you don't want transmission to shift in and out of OD.

The V10 has no problems pulling it's just going by a gas station that's an issue. I love my truck. Thanks again,

Jim

Tags
towing