Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #21

Forgot to say Channel 19 on the CB.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
When on the interstate (traveling through) and there's an accident involving all lanes stopped, we pay attention to where the 18 wheelers are migrating to. They have radio contact with trucks coming in the opposite direction so they know which lanes are affected by the wreck and which lanes will move through first.

If one is ahead of us and has their left blinker on, and we're in that left lane, we let them over. They will, most often, share that information with other truckers. We saw that happen Sunday. 18 wheeler trailer caught on fire, all lanes stopped. We were in the left lane. Trucker in center lane wanted over so we let him in. Shortly thereafter we came to an Allegro MH that a UHaul truck had rear ended (shoved their toad up into the engine grill across the back) in our left lane. Almost immediately an 18 wheeler let US back into the center lane to get around it.

It was obvious what caused that MH/UHaul wreck....low hill, just before the spot where the truck was burning. Top the hill and all lanes are suddenly dead stopped, no where to go.

Sneak *always* gives the truckers the "flash over" courtesy; quick flick of the lights as soon as they're clear to move back in front of you.
My philosophy is "If you have a bigger truck than I do, then you go first". 18 wheelers will always be bigger than me and I usually always give them room to get over whether I am pulling my TT or not. Call it "professional courtesy". Now if they are obnoxious truckers, that is another story....
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #23
NELA

Timex,

I've been known to get out, walk to the nearest 18 wheeler and ask 'em which lane the wreck is in when we're backed up, dead still, for miles.

They'll share the info that way too.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
I always flash them back in after they pass.
I don't think "flashing truckers" after they pass is commonly held knowledge. I find it kind of fun, especially to see if the trucker flashes me back as a thank you. I wish truckers were as courteous to flash we RV'ers back too, but fortunately I don't pass too many. We're the novices out there and could use all the help we can get. So if you are a professional trucker reading this forum, please pass this on to your fellow truckers.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #25

I just want to go camping and I'm not in that big of a hurry because my truck isn't in a hurry but he trys like heck to get me there. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #26
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
All good stuff here.
Remember, you're not in a race, you're not going to be late for work, give yourself a steady consistent presence and let the others watch out for you.
Think of it this way:

350 miles @ 65 mph = 5 hours 23 minutes
350 miles @ 75 mph = 4 hours 40 minutes + 20 minutes more for extra fuel stop.

So the increased speed gets you there 45 minutes quicker, but you're probably using more fuel and switching lanes a lot more.
I rather get there safely than spread out all over the road.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #27

I keep it right between 100-103 kmh (62-64 mph) regardless of higher speed limits. It seems to be the comfort speed for my setup where it will stay in 5th unless I hit an incline. I put it in Tow/Haul, lock out 6th and set the cruise for the above speed and it's a nice comfortable drive.

If I have a decent tailwind I wont lock out 6th as it will stay there more or less in that situation.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Timex,

I've been known to get out, walk to the nearest 18 wheeler and ask 'em which lane the wreck is in when we're backed up, dead still, for miles.

They'll share the info that way too.
A dump truck(er) shared some information with me last Oct as we were going thru Atlanta. He claimed I cut him off but in all actuality, he was going way too fast. I signaled well in advance that I was changing lanes and he was way behind(or so I thought). WORD OF CAUTION, for those that are driving thru a big city, turn signals are just decoration to those in the lane you want to be in. Anyway, as I reached for the mic. to answer him back, the BOSS told me to forget it, we're on vacation!
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

When I had my 35' TT I would cruise 62-64 mph. Now on the open road with my 38' 5er I run 65-70 mph and stay with the traffic when the limit is 65 or 70. I also let DW sit & do knitting while ONSTAR "tells" me where to go and what lanes I need to stay in. It's a little more pleasant with ONSTAR.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #30

The last trip I ran at 60 mph on 4 lane state highways in Cent FL in tow/haul 5th gear at about 2200 rpms. If I go on the interstate then I think that I can run at about 62-63 mph and get into OD 6th gear and drop my rpms to around 1800. That, coupled with the driving tips from this thread, and I should be in good shape. I had to drive to Tampa a couple of weeks ago and took I75 and noticed that all of the truckers were going no faster than 65 even though the speed limit is 70.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #31

I might have missed in the good advice posted but the OP never stated what type of WDH he is using.
If Skippy38 is using an Equalizer 4 point, then no problem on the freeway. 60 -65MPH is good. If using a standard hitch with chains and a friction sway bar, I would recommend tightening the sway bar a turn or two to avoid the backlash from big rigs and cross winds.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #32
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
Texas speed limit says 60 mph during the day and 55 night for recreational vehicles no matter what that 70 mph posted speed sign says.

well..... actually..... in 2011 Texas House Bill 1353 was passed and signed into law, it was all in regards to speed limits as they relate to all vehicles. Except for school buses, there are no more laws that make trucks and cars and trucks pulling 5th wheels or whatever drive at different speeds. Furthermore, the day/night speed differential is also completely done away with. It also raised the limit to 80MPH on many rural highways. So, if you wanted to you could legally pull your camper at 80MPH in some parts of Texas.

I have personally only been to 75 pulling mine, 80 seems insane...
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
I might have missed in the good advice posted but the OP never stated what type of WDH he is using.
If Skippy38 is using an Equalizer 4 point, then no problem on the freeway. 60 -65MPH is good. If using a standard hitch with chains and a friction sway bar, I would recommend tightening the sway bar a turn or two to avoid the backlash from big rigs and cross winds.
crunchman
I am currently using the standard Pro Series WDH and sway bars. I have only been running with one sway bar but have two available so I can use both and tighten them down a little more. The TT does not sway at all with one bar. The Equalizer 4 point looks pretty darn slick, I may have to upgrade my hitch....
Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
I am currently using the standard Pro Series WDH and sway bars. I have only been running with one sway bar but have two available so I can use both and tighten them down a little more. The TT does not sway at all with one bar. The Equalizer 4 point looks pretty darn slick, I may have to upgrade my hitch....

Matt, what you have is more than enough for your unit. Two sway bars is even a little over kill, imo. I am surprised that you even need one sway bar. Save your money to spend on something else. I drove a 29 ft xxx for 15 years and never put a sway bar on it. I now have a heavy two slide Hemisphere 35 foot and use one.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #35

I have no idea where y'all are getting your info on towing RV's in Texas.

As far as towing for the less experienced... Maintain your speed when being passed. If you are going slower than posted limits use courtesy and common sense letting people pass. Plan your trips off peak hours. Double check lights signals and chains at every stop. Make sure chains aren't dragging. It's amazing how many wildfires are started from dragging chains and blow outs.

Just my observations.

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I tow right about 62mph almost all of the time (regardless of the speed limit- be it 55 or 70). I've never had a problem, even around major cities (Baltimore, DC, etc.).

I generally try to stick to the right lane unless there are a lot of on-ramps and then I'm one to the left of that, just to avoid often lane changes.

As well, I try to plan as far as head as possible. My wife is my navigator and we shoot for being in the correct exit/turning/etc. lane as early as possible (1 mile+).
X2. And you need to have a mindset of not "pressing" to make time and miles. Just do your selected speed and be alert yet relaxed. My wife and I often put an audio book in the sound system. Time and miles fly by.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #37

tips for towing

Sounds like most folks drive with the over drive turned off unless on a grade. If I turn mine off it goes into overdrive on only a slight grade.

When should the OD be turned off, when a long grade is in view, or leave it off for small grades. I realize this is all relative but I just drove from Phoenix AZ to Portland OR and got a finger cramp turning the darn thing off and on.

Trying to save fuel by turning it off but wonder if I'm doing damage going in and out all the time.

BTW Great tips above, I go between 55 and 60. 30 foot coachman tt and Dodge 3500 dually V10 gas sucker and get about 8Mpg on the flats.

Jim
jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Matt, what you have is more than enough for your unit. Two sway bars is even a little over kill, imo. I am surprised that you even need one sway bar. Save your money to spend on something else. I drove a 29 ft xxx for 15 years and never put a sway bar on it. I now have a heavy two slide Hemisphere 35 foot and use one.
Thanks man, that's what I wanted to hear. Its not that I NEED the sway bar, I just tried it on the last trip. The first two trips went fine without it.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaskell View Post
Sounds like most folks drive with the over drive turned off unless on a grade. If I turn mine off it goes into overdrive on only a slight grade.

When should the OD be turned off, when a long grade is in view, or leave it off for small grades. I realize this is all relative but I just drove from Phoenix AZ to Portland OR and got a finger cramp turning the darn thing off and on.

Trying to save fuel by turning it off but wonder if I'm doing damage going in and out all the time.

BTW Great tips above, I go between 55 and 60. 30 foot coachman tt and Dodge 3500 dually V10 gas sucker and get about 8Mpg on the flats.

Jim
imo, your v10 should have all the power that it needs with out you turning the OD on and off. imo, turn it on and leave it alone. It will down shift with it needs to on any grade that is too steep. Turning the OverDrive off does not 'save fuel', as it puts you in a lower gear and raises your RPMs and burns more fuel. Lower gear and higher RPMs makes it easier for your TV to pull the grade, but your RPMs go higher... (burning more fuel). imo, let the OD shift in and out on it's own, when it wants to.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #40

tips for towing

Brother Les,
Thanks for the note. If I leave the OD turned off, will the transmission not hunt back and forth? Owners manual says keepOD off ( button pushed in and no OD available) when towing. Or am I getting confused between off and on. To me off, is as normal driving and overdrive available. On is when towing up a hill and you don't want transmission to shift in and out of OD.

The V10 has no problems pulling it's just going by a gas station that's an issue. I love my truck. Thanks again,

Jim
jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing