Old 03-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #21
Main thing is to watch your speed. The diesels pull so good you tend to forget you've got a load behind you and a hair pin curve ahead. If my rig is hooked up, I'm in T/H mode. I usually go to "manual" to keep my RPMs about 1,800 when on grade.

fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #22
Originally Posted by LSUTiger View Post

So really all I need to do is go up in tow/haul and maybe lock out 6th gear. On the downside just do the same and I should I be good. The engine and transmission should do the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Hi, Sorry I didn't answer until now.

I do tend to watch the EGT's on my truck because I have found that with my old 318SAB Cougar (11K) when pulling in the mountains. The EGT's would climb to around 1200 or 1350F when towing in 6th gear and the engine RPM's would be turning around 1400 (55 MPH). By locking out 6th gear the rpm's would increase to 1800 (55 MPH) or so and the EGT's would drop to around 900 or so but Boost pressure would increase to 25 or 30 PSI and I would watch that also.

Every truck is different and each should be monitored as you drive the truck when towing a trailer especially a diesel engine equipped truck. Just my humble opinion as a retired vehicle engineer.

My truck is a 2008 Ram Mega Cab with the 6.7L Cummins with the 68RFE auto and I am using a Smarty S67 set on level 3, which is safe for towing. This adds about 60HP to the stock motor and 120 lb-ft of torque. This is why I monitor my gages which are EGT, Boost and Transmission Temperature at the sump along with the other gages in the instrument cluster. I have towed this way for over 70,000 miles without any issues.

Good luck.

Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #23
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
I disagree with some of you; uphill, I prefer to manually shift down to a gear low enough to prevent the transmission from up and downshifting much on its own. It's probably easier on the entire drive train even if the engine is running 400-500 rpm higher (within reason). Downhill, same thing. Start the downgrade in a lower gear and at a reasonably slow speed that the exhaust brake and transmission can maintain. If one is using the foot brake very much, he's allowing too much speed to build up. It's much easier to start downhill at slow speed than to have to stand on the brakes as a sharp curve is approached. You'll seldom see good truckers start a long decline with much speed (like coming down from 11,000' at Eisenhower Tunnel west of Denver on I-70). As others have said, tow/haul and your exhaust brake are your best friends.
I agree with you Frozen. The one concern that has not been talked about is to watch the engine temperature. If you push it to hard on the way up the engine temp may climb and overheat. You need to pick the right gear for your tv and the load you are draging up the inclien so as not to overload and or over heat the tv.
On the way down pick a low gear that is equel to or less than the speed limit and keep the engine rpm below the red line. Next watch how you apily you brakes down hill. They need to be applied in short time incroments with time in between to cool them down and still keep the engine rpms below the red line!!! and a safe speed. If you keep the brakes applied for long period of time they will over heat and boil the brake fluid resulting in no or very little brakes. Your brakes should return after they cool down but may have been damaged due to the over heating.

Hope this helps Tim

TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote

mount, towing