Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

Tire Chains

We have a need for some Tire Chains to fit on the rear of our 2500HD Silverado Pickup. This is our tow vehicle that we use to pull our 28' Crusader 270RET. Thought this would be something that we should carry around with us as you never know what you may run in to..
Looking at what is available on the market, prices range from 65 bucks to over 400 dollars...
What we need will have to fit a L 245/75R16/E tire and wheel combination. Would appreciate any information our fellow RV'ers can throw at us..
We do not plan to go anywhere when there is snow on the ground..but you never know may have to run through some mud at times..
kicklighter

Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #2

Are you saying you want tire chains for the mud? They will work and I use vbar chains with cam locks but they are not cheap.

Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #3

Tire chains and a high lift jack are in the back of a great percentage of trucks where I live. Like Campingnut said, good chains are not cheap. I would highly reccomend you check carefully for clearance with the chains on. It is much better to do this in your driveway and not a mudhole! Getting them on as tightly as possible is important and having plenty of chain tensioners really helps. A loose chain will do some major damage to your body. Been there and done that! Take a look at tirechains.com, they have alot of options. The v-bars are good.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #4

Here's the site I got mine from a few years ago;
Vulcan Tire Sales - Tire Chain Search

Go to 'tire chains' and find your tire size. I got the $89 ones and like them. Heavy duty. Not a fan of the V-bar style. Don't know the difference of the highway service typr vs mud other than price. These come with the rubber cain tighteners too.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
daydreaming about camping

I gather you have a 2wd truck and are worried about mud, might I suggest you replace your rear tires with an aggressive A/T tire or even a mild M/T tire?

My experience with chains is that by the time you need them, you are in too far to put them on.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
We have a need for some Tire Chains to fit on the rear of our 2500HD Silverado Pickup. This is our tow vehicle that we use to pull our 28' Crusader 270RET. Thought this would be something that we should carry around with us as you never know what you may run in to..
Looking at what is available on the market, prices range from 65 bucks to over 400 dollars...
What we need will have to fit a L 245/75R16/E tire and wheel combination. Would appreciate any information our fellow RV'ers can throw at us..
We do not plan to go anywhere when there is snow on the ground..but you never know may have to run through some mud at times..
kicklighter
Almost anyone I know with 245 tires always upgrade to 265's when the 245's go bald .
So keep that in mind when and if ordering.