Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #1

Tire Failures/Axles Question

A friend and I both have a 2011 31TS wildcat and we have both had tire failures at about the same time frame. Tires were properly maintained and periodically checked for cracks, etc and had about the same mileage on each. A neighbor has had similar experience and suggested that the axles might be too light for the trailer and contents. Where can I locate information that will tell me what weight the axles that are used on this model are rated to carry? We are both newby's at this and could really use the information
MasterChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
A friend and I both have a 2011 31TS wildcat and we have both had tire failures at about the same time frame. Tires were properly maintained and periodically checked for cracks, etc and had about the same mileage on each. A neighbor has had similar experience and suggested that the axles might be too light for the trailer and contents. Where can I locate information that will tell me what weight the axles that are used on this model are rated to carry? We are both newby's at this and could really use the information
There is usually a tag on both axles about in the middle of the axle that will tell the axle rating.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Just a thought...

How could under rated axles have caused tire failures?

Now if the axles failed, I could see it.

Tire failures are almost always road hazards (potholes, road trash, or curb strikes while turning), overloaded camper for tire load rating, improper inflation for actual load, excessive speed for load on the tire (ST Tires are load rated at 65 MPH max), or an actual internal defect (rare). Pretty much in that order...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Just a thought...

How could under rated axles have caused tire failures?

Now if the axles failed, I could see it.

Tire failures are almost always road hazards (potholes, road trash, or curb strikes while turning), overloaded camper for tire load rating, improper inflation for actual load, excessive speed for load on the tire (ST Tires are load rated at 65 MPH max), or an actual internal defect (rare). Pretty much in that order...
X2
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Your tire and axle load info is on the "Placard" or certification label that is affixed to the left (driver side) corner of the RV

You should also have this information in your owners literature.
Inflation should be set each travel day while the tire is cold (not run for an hour and not in the sun)

You might want to read my blog to learn more about tires.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #6

I was just checking my unit today for various things, tires and axles seem to be the main cause for concern among most RVers and I'm no different. I'm a real stickler for reading manuals and decals, but on my Flagstaff 5er, the original tires were load range C and as per the stamp on the tire, maximum inflation is 50 PSI. On the decal on the side of the trailer, it says ST 225 R15 C Max pressure 65 psi.. good thing I don't believe Forest River. On the inside of the cupboard it says the right tire pressure, if I was a novice and filled the tire to the decal specs, I'd be way over inflated. A sure lawsuit if this caused a blowout due to over inflation.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windywest View Post
I was just checking my unit today for various things, tires and axles seem to be the main cause for concern among most RVers and I'm no different. I'm a real stickler for reading manuals and decals, but on my Flagstaff 5er, the original tires were load range C and as per the stamp on the tire, maximum inflation is 50 PSI. On the decal on the side of the trailer, it says ST 225 R15 C Max pressure 65 psi.. good thing I don't believe Forest River. On the inside of the cupboard it says the right tire pressure, if I was a novice and filled the tire to the decal specs, I'd be way over inflated. A sure lawsuit if this caused a blowout due to over inflation.

If you have two different Cert. Labels and they give different info then one is wrong and must by law be replaced by the dealer/manufacturer.

You van file a complaint with NHTSA. They can order Forest River to provide new correct labels. Go HERE and select File Tire complaint.

Note you will need the TT VIN and tire DOT number.

If you can capture in-focus pictures of the two different labels that would be good. In your complaint advise that you have pictures of both labels.

You might try and contact other owners of identical model RV to see what they have.

PM me if you need additional info or help with this.

RE tires failing due to being 15 psi over inflation. Very unlikely. While just about anything is "possible" under the right circumstances, In my experience new tires (no damage or abuse) are good for 3 to 4 times the inflation on the tire unless the tire is not mounted correctly. Then it is possible to fail at close to the pressure on the tire. But once a tire is properly seated you should never see such a problem.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #8

Thanks for your reply, I will attempt to attach a couple pictures I took, one on the side of the trailer, and the other in the cupboard. I removed the trailer serial number, since I'm cautious about such things. You will notice on the side decal that the tires are C rated yet say they can be inflated to 65 psi (?), yet on the inside cupboard they are rated for 50. Also, on the outside decal it says my bolt pattern is 6, yet it is 5. It appears somebody put the wrong label on, it always makes me wonder what else is wrong with these units with a glaring mistake like this, neither FR or the dealer picked up on it, so much for quality control and dealer prep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerspecs no sn.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	38883   Click image for larger version

Name:	tireloadpecs without sn .jpg
Views:	155
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	38884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	38885  

Old 09-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Thanks for the info.
1. Since you are in Canada I need to get a contact at Transport Canada for you to contact as I don't think NHTSA (US-DOT) will consider this actionable since the RV was sold in Canada.
2. I suggest you submit something in writing to Forest River giving them the VIN, Exact tire size & Inflation information from the two different forms.
3. Lets start a new thread here with the exact model RV you have and see if you are just an exception or if there are other units out there with the incorrect info.
4. You might ask your friend with the 2011 31TS wildcat what his placard and label say and let me know.

I am more than willing to start the thread but starting of with "We have identified two units..." or "We have two identical units with different safety information...." will make a difference.

I am at campground so do not have access to my ref material. I will do some research tomorrow.

One other question. What is the actual size, brand, load range, max load in Lbs & Kg and psi molded on the tires?

Roger
Old 09-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #10

The Transport Canada defects / complaints form and info is located at https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng
Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #11

I appreciate the information, but I feel in my case having an error on my tire certificate is now a moot point, since I no longer have the load range C tires on my unit and will be inflating the new ones to 65PSI anyway. Even the spare tire provided with my unit was a brand new load range E, not a LR C as per the decal. I was just trying to let those interested know that mistakes are made, and to use the tire manufacturers inflation recommendation rather than the trailer manufacturers recommendation. I compare this issue to owners of passenger cars / trucks who upgrade, change, or increase size of tires. After the change, the original sticker on the driver's door usually doesn't apply anymore since the tires are different size or ratings. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windywest View Post
I appreciate the information, but I feel in my case having an error on my tire certificate is now a moot point, since I no longer have the load range C tires on my unit and will be inflating the new ones to 65PSI anyway. Even the spare tire provided with my unit was a brand new load range E, not a LR C as per the decal. I was just trying to let those interested know that mistakes are made, and to use the tire manufacturers inflation recommendation rather than the trailer manufacturers recommendation. I compare this issue to owners of passenger cars / trucks who upgrade, change, or increase size of tires. After the change, the original sticker on the driver's door usually doesn't apply anymore since the tires are different size or ratings. Thanks.
I understand, but in this case one of the certificate violates the law. Failing to report problems to NHTSA (USA) or Transport Canada is one of the contributors to the poor quality many complain about. Even though you changed the tires, one certificate is still wrong. Others may not go to the effort you did and may either overload/underinflate or over-inflate their tires.
Owners changing tire size is not the same thing. The RV mfg is required, by law to apply the proper certificate to the unit and to provide the correct information in the literature. Individual owners have the right to change their vehicle as they wish but this does not absolve the RV manufacturer from following the law.
I know of a number of actions that manufacturers have taken to ensure they comply with the regulations.

I do hope you change your mind and spend the few minutes to report the violation to Trans Canada at the link provided in post #10 by Sgt Schultz.
You may save someone from having a failure or worse.

RE which inflation to follow. It is also a requirement for the RV mfg to identify the proper tire size, Load Range and minimum inflation and not the tire manufacture's as the tire mfg has no idea what vehicle any given tire will be applied to or the needs fo the vehicle. This responsibility is also spelled out in the regulations.

This post will only let a small handful of owners learn of the mistake apparently made by Forest River so there may be dozens, hundreds or even thousands of similarly improperly labeled units on the road.

Please re-consider your decision.
Roger
Old 09-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #13

Roger, you make a valid point, so I have done my due diligence and submitted a defect report to Transport Canada. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Windy. Hope I didn't come on too strong but when people have an actual "defect" but don't file a complaint kind of lights me up.

Thanks for doing what I wish more RV owners would do.

Roger.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Windy. Hope I didn't come on too strong but when people have an actual "defect" but don't file a complaint kind of lights me up.

Thanks for doing what I wish more RV owners would do.

Roger.
I am very happy to see that Windy took this to Trans Canada I agree 100% that all safety related issues should be reported, it encourages manufacturers to get on top of quality.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #16

You may want to check you axel alignment, see attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer Alignment.pdf (1.42 MB, 25 views)
Geofish is offline   Reply With Quote