Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Tire lock-up

Have had an issue with our new 21dk locking up the rear tires on braking, mostly on down hill. It feels like the stopping power is not there but the rolling smoke from the back tires says different. Our previous HTT was dual axle and had no issues. adjusting the controller to less aggressive has helped but can feel the trailer pushing..(will still lock up on dirt). The trailer is nose down a little and will try raising the hitch to move some weight to the rear axle to see if that helps.
Any other hints or ideas?
Thanks
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #2

You may want to pull hubs and check magnets. Had similar problem with L/Rear on mine. I pulled hub and magnet clip had come off. Magnet was lying in bottom of drum. The clip is in center of magnet
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

what type of controller are you using? Have you adjusted the brakes, yes I know it is a 2015 but my trailer brakes were not adjusted correct when I first got it.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #4

With 1 or more tires locking up, it's no wonder you don't feel the braking power you expect. As voltage increases, so does braking torque. But as soon as a tire(s) lock, brake torque drops dramatically. This illustrates the difference between static or stationary friction, and dynamic or rolling friction.

This is why any good proportional brake controller will have you adjust the brakes by (after warming them up):
1. Do a 25mph "snub" apply, with FULL manual apply lever (not the brake pedal).
2. If the brakes do not squeal under FULL manual apply, increase voltage slightly.
3. Repeat 1 and 2 until you get some squeal.
4. Once you have some squeal, decrease voltage until the squeal just barely goes away, under FULL manual apply.

It's important that this is done under full manual apply, because this perfectly set amount is what will be sent back whenever you slam on the brakes in a panic situation. In that moment, if set properly, you will get the maximum amount of brake torque, which is just before wheel lockup.

OH, yeah, like he said, make sure the brakes themselves are properly adjusted first.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #5

PS - If you have a cheap time-delay controller, take it back or throw it away. Get a Tekonsha P2 or P3. Then adjust your brakes. Then set up the controller.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

I wanted to jack up and check the bearings anyway, but not sure if the Dexter never adjust have a manual adjustment.
Controller is a Tekonsha Voyager proportional and worked fine with the other HTT.

my original controller setting were set about like you said, but backed off because of the brake lock.
The Chevy's brakes its self are soft and need attention too, so that doesn't help...
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire