Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Neat gadget!

This morning on the way to work the factory installed tire pressure monitor in my F150 alerted. I thought the truck has one but wasn't sure. I did know the option was available.

Turns out the tire was fine, the valve stem however was cracked and leaking at the base where it passes through the rim. Hmm? Never had a valve stem fail. $10 and 10 minutes and we were back on the road to work. No damage to the tire at all.

So now I know I have a tire pressure monitor that works. And a faulty valve stem was replaced just before I tow the 5th wheel about 80 miles, tomorrow.

Admin at, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member
Thank God for modern technology. That could have really been a big time problem for you tomorrow. Have a safe and fun trip. We still have a couple weeks to go before the first trip.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
There has been a big recall of certain valve stems manufactured by Dill. Check out:

2007 Fords are listed in the PDF.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Loosing pressure on my Toad tires is a big concern I have had in the past although I don't know how well the aftermarket wireless systems work being over 40' away from their sensors. I hope that the technology comes down in price though as the aftermarket systems are awfully expensive. I guess it's cheaper than a blow out taking out your plumbing but still, awfully expensive...
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
I had heard about the recall last fall but didn't get around to checking my valve stems until I experienced the same thing as radio. I then had all tires inspected, including the spare. 4 out of 5 valve stems were cracked. Replaced them all at wal-mart for a little under $50.
They said they knew about the recall for a few months. Had to go through their inventory and throw out all the bad ones.
I've had one tire lose air pressure since, down to 28 lbs, and my monitoring system alerted me. At least I know that wal-mart replaced the stems with ones that work.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
It is a great thing to have, one day I added air to my tires to max inflation. the tries were cold, we drove the truck 5 miles from the house as we were driving an alarm showed up on the D.I.C. system "front tires over inflated" the cause was from heat. The D.I.C. gives the pressure on each tire.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote