Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #41

I would replace the castle rock tires soon. I had one that the tread was separating after about 900 miles. I replaced the tires with Goodyear endurance. Just finish putting over 1000 miles on them in temps up to 100 degrees with no problems. I keep the speed between 65-70mph on Rockwood 8312ss.
Cody_Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #42
New Camper

Thanks for the feedback

I think for my peace of mind I will shop for tires this week. I heard a lot of good things about Maxis and Carlisle (sp?) but I don't think they are made in the U.S. and that's a concern. Wow, Goodyear is going to sell a ton of their Endurance! Also I believe that Airstream has gone to the Endurance tire.
garypayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #43

Maxis and Carlisle are built over seas. Can't comment on Endurance but Goodyear Marathons were a problem. Have fun shopping. I just put on all new Carlisle. Bought from Amazon and had the mounted and balanced at a local tire store.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Endurance is the only US made ST tire at this time. All others are made in China or Taiwan.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #45

To answer the original post's question ... MY OPINION after several blowouts and one with a Castle Rock ... replace ASAP ! I liked "raspivey's" analogy of the divorce, but after 4 "I" did something different as I was OCD about all the important aspects of tire care, and even then had problems that I don't feel were my fault. Tire pressure monitors won't fix the issue with the China tires, they may keep you from having RV damage from a blown tire. Consumers can and will eventually fix this issue. Everyone can claim all they want about age, sunlight, speed, over weight, wrong pressure, but the fix is not to buy the ST's anymore. Light Truck tires would never have the issues that ST's have due to sales and or lawsuits. So, the results are that they are more reliable, stronger, and won't have to be replaced until worn out. Going up a load range if you need it is OK, but if you "upgrade" a load range and stay with an ST then you have not taken care of the problem. More alternatives are available now with LT's in 15" sizes(Discount Tire), except with 14" rims it would appear that you have no alternatiuves! But the Goodyear Endurance "may" be a better answer, but I was not willing to risk it until others find out if it is better or not. You never hear anyone saying I wish I had never gotten these LT tires for my camper ... think about it!

cseeger22
04 Chevy Suburban
2015 Wolfpack 24pack14
Nokian Rotiiva AT tires LT235/75R15

How do you get a tire shop to put LT tires on a trailer, we don't have a single one that will do it, from Wal-Mart to the Goodyear dealer.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Julie View Post
How do you get a tire shop to put LT tires on a trailer, we don't have a single one that will do it, from Wal-Mart to the Goodyear dealer.
I’ve tried to explain that on numerous forums. It’s complicated and requires a lot of reading about DOT regulations and tire industry standards.

Most users do not see the “bite” in the regulations and standards. Most that scoff at them are never going to suffer any reprisals for doing it their way. However, the “bite” is very real for vehicle and tire manufacturers. Many say they are just covering their six. Rightfully so. They will lose millions of dollars if found violating DOT or tire industry tire standards.

There is always the bottom line after all is said and done. It’s simple. Somewhere in the manufacturing standards there is a statement that tells the vehicle manufacturer to use Original Equipment (OE) tires that are appropriate for service on that vehicle. Once the vehicle manufacturer selects the OE tires and sets their recommended inflation pressures they MUST put that information on the vehicle’s federal certification label, tire placard and in the vehicle’s owner’s manual. It’s not just something they put on the vehicle. It’s a binding contract between them and the DOT and they have signed documents to make that selection golden.

You’re going to see words like this every where you look.

From the vehicle manufacturer; To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer.

From the tire retailer; Never choose a tire that is smaller in size or has less load-carrying capacity than the tire that came with the vehicle. Tires should always be replaced with the same size designation — or approved options — as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer……. Or; Always refer to and follow the vehicle manufacturer's replacement tire recommendations.

Sure, you can find the same size in both designs. Here is an example why that wont work. ST235/85R16E provides 3640# of load capacity at 80 PSI…… LT235/85R16E provides 3042# of load capacity at 80 PSI.

There are no ifs, ands or buts. What the tire manufacturer has molded on the tire sidewall is official and not a topic that can be overruled because so and so says otherwise.

Tire brands are not mentioned in FMVSS vehicle builder standards. Those are options the vehicle manufacturer uses.

A simple statement of fact. Not much room to take something out of context. Where are the teeth? We see them when the big dog snarls.

"Industry standards generally form the basis for demonstrating product safety and quality before courts, regulators, retailers, consumers and others."
Old 07-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #47
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
I’ve tried to explain that on numerous forums. It’s complicated and requires a lot of reading about DOT regulations and tire industry standards.

Most users do not see the “bite” in the regulations and standards. Most that scoff at them are never going to suffer any reprisals for doing it their way. However, the “bite” is very real for vehicle and tire manufacturers. Many say they are just covering their six. Rightfully so. They will lose millions of dollars if found violating DOT or tire industry tire standards.

There is always the bottom line after all is said and done. It’s simple. Somewhere in the manufacturing standards there is a statement that tells the vehicle manufacturer to use Original Equipment (OE) tires that are appropriate for service on that vehicle. Once the vehicle manufacturer selects the OE tires and sets their recommended inflation pressures they MUST put that information on the vehicle’s federal certification label, tire placard and in the vehicle’s owner’s manual. It’s not just something they put on the vehicle. It’s a binding contract between them and the DOT and they have signed documents to make that selection golden.

You’re going to see words like this every where you look.

From the vehicle manufacturer; To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer.

From the tire retailer; Never choose a tire that is smaller in size or has less load-carrying capacity than the tire that came with the vehicle. Tires should always be replaced with the same size designation — or approved options — as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer……. Or; Always refer to and follow the vehicle manufacturer's replacement tire recommendations.

Sure, you can find the same size in both designs. Here is an example why that wont work. ST235/85R16E provides 3640# of load capacity at 80 PSI…… LT235/85R16E provides 3042# of load capacity at 80 PSI.

There are no ifs, ands or buts. What the tire manufacturer has molded on the tire sidewall is official and not a topic that can be overruled because so and so says otherwise.

Tire brands are not mentioned in FMVSS vehicle builder standards. Those are options the vehicle manufacturer uses.

A simple statement of fact. Not much room to take something out of context. Where are the teeth? We see them when the big dog snarls.

"Industry standards generally form the basis for demonstrating product safety and quality before courts, regulators, retailers, consumers and others."

Ummmmm yeah what he said! [emoji106]
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikersarge View Post
If it were me they would get replaced with G rated tires. but that is me, I am OCD on Maintenance and tires.Don't like the damage they do.
The OP has 14" tires. G load tires for that size are not made.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #49
New Camper

Bought my new Goodyear Endurance Tires Today

Put new tires on my brand new Rockwood 2720ws today. Best decision I could make. They look great and they are Made in the USA! Interesting, the psi for the Goodyears is 80 versus the Castle Rock's 65 psi. I feel a lot more confident with the Goodyears.
garypayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #50

I know I was really pushing my luck, but I did manage to get 8 years out the tires on my 2007 JayFeather. Always kept them at 50 psi.,kept them treated, and covered every winter. GoodYear brand...can't remember which.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire