Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #21

x2 - What NMWildcat says is good advice. When in doubt, I go Max PSI per sidewall.

Don't forget the temp delta from sun to shade may exceed 10 degrees.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
where is your exhaust pipe, nearer the right rear tire?
Yes, it runs out just behind that tire. Good thought for me to consider. Pulling today from SOTB to Mt Pleasant, SC, it again ran hotter by about 5-7 degrees. The ambient temperature was lower, so all tires were cooler.

I will check the chains on the WDH when we depart for FL. It might have been a tad tighter on the right side.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #23

Tire question..

Ok, I'm a little bit confused here. Someone put me on the right path. I have a 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS travel trailer that the GVWR is, I believe right at 8500#, give or take a few pounds. I don't tow with fresh water tank full. It came with "C" rated China bombs when purchased it brand new and I had 2 blowouts in the same weekend with less than 3,000 towing miles on them. I replaced them with Goodyear Endurance "E" rated tires just before I put it up for the winter, so I have not had them "on the road" as yet, but I am hearing good things about them. My old China bombs were stamped 50#psi and that's what I ran religiously. My new Goodyears are stamped 80#psi. The tire dealer that mounted them said the wheels would be no problem for the higher psi. He also said If I was originally towing with 50 in the old tires, that I could up the pressure to 70psi on the new tires with no problem...in other words, he said you don't HAVE to run the full 80psi in them. It all makes sense. If I am not carrying any more weight load than previously on the China Bombs, there should be no problem with towing the same load on the Goodyear's at, say, 70psi, right? He said the only difference would be a much better towing experience and better handling. Any opinions welcome. Thank you
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #24

Tirebuilder, this thread is mainly discussing psi for tow vehicles. Do a search for threads pertaining to trailer tires.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #25

Tire Pressure on Right side

Since trailer traffic is normally slower than the rest of the flock, we trailers spend the majority of our time in the right lane. For rain runoff, the right lanes slope to the right, so I have found my tire temps on the right tend to run a bit higher since they are experiencing a bit more weight with a balanced load and with no sunshine or cross winds.
harleybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #26

X2 on coments , 10 Deg diff is not much , could be just diff in monitor
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have never relied on the door sticker for tire pressures, especially when towing. They usually make no sense to me. For my current Duramax they are 55 front and 80 back. If I use those psi settings the front tires look and feel flat, due to the weight of the diesel engine. 65psi seems to be the minimum for front tires to perform to my liking. 80psi back tires is fine when towing, not for empty.

So use common sense and don't blindly follow the suggestions on a sticker.

As far as temps, as long as they are within 15 degrees or so of each other, I don't sweat it.
There’s a very good reason for the tire pressure setting difference front to rear and that is to maintain proper handling when the vehicle is loaded. It helps maintain the proper understeer at GVWR. Ran my Silverado at that front pressure for many towing miles without issue.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyhd View Post
There’s a very good reason for the tire pressure setting difference front to rear and that is to maintain proper handling when the vehicle is loaded. It helps maintain the proper understeer at GVWR. Ran my Silverado at that front pressure for many towing miles without issue.
Glad it works for you. I'll keep thinking for myself
Old 02-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #29

Tires

Sorry. My bad. Got off on another tangent. Carry on.
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #30

Try moving that tire to another position and see what happens. That would answer a lot of questions
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:45 AM   #31

Exhaust Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
Yes, it runs out just behind that tire. Good thought for me to consider. Pulling today from SOTB to Mt Pleasant, SC, it again ran hotter by about 5-7 degrees. The ambient temperature was lower, so all tires were cooler.

I will check the chains on the WDH when we depart for FL. It might have been a tad tighter on the right side.
That's a good bet, a likely cause for 5-7 or 10 deg. difference.
tbaker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #32

Label PSI vs. Sidewall PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
The inflation pressures for the OE tires listed on the labeling is the correct inflation pressures. If the vehicle manufacturer felt they needed to be increased for towing applications they would put that information in the vehicle owner's manual.[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyhd View Post
There’s a very good reason for the tire pressure setting difference front to rear and that is to maintain proper handling when the vehicle is loaded. It helps maintain the proper understeer at GVWR.[...]
Quote:
Glad it works for you. I'll keep thinking for myself
Quote:
I have never relied on the door sticker for tire pressures, especially when towing. They usually make no sense to me.[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
Been at the towing game for about 35 years. My go to has always been max pressure as stated on the tire for both TT and TV.[...]
So there seems to be two schools of thinking when it comes to tire inflation - the Label PSI vs. Sidewall PSI and the people on each side of the fence are staunch defenders - people are pretty touchy about the subject; it's like the republicans vs. democrats without much middle ground... I know this myself as I was in a pretty heated debate in another thread about it. I personally find the hard stance part a bit comical - it solidifies my faith in the wonderful diversities that makes us all human...

Just for the record, I'll state my side (with flexibility) again - for both TVs and TTs: I'll go by the manufacturer's sticker on the vehicle/trailer first, (minimum pressure) then add pressure if I feel the need to adjust for some reason (but never above sidewall psi).

So again, after reading these threads I have learned that inflating somewhat above the label psi should not cause any immediate adverse effects, as there are many on the Sidewall PSI side who have been doing it for years - good info to know and very useful.

Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #33

We just finished a 220 mile trip last week. When we were rolling on the highway at 62 mph, all of the tires had equal and normal temps respective to their position either on the TT or on the truck. We got caught up in a slow to a crawl to being stopped at times for 20 minutes or so. During that time, the right inner dual crept up to 10 degrees over its norm. Once we got rolling again, it backed down to its norm. I've got a Duramax, and the exhaust runs out the back in that proximity. I have to think that was the cause in my case. Food for thought.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Please stop this silly advice. The factory wheels are fine to handle 80 psi. No issues. What is meant to happen to the wheel experiencing 80 psi? This is just utter nonsense.

And, you're conflating load with psi. Simply putting air into the tire isn't going to tax the wheel. This is crazy.

Hitching up a 30,000 lb trailer will, though. The wheels will have a load rating and it's going to be pretty similar to the axle. If you get E load tires (or better), it's very likely that the tires will have a larger capacity than the axle, wheels, and other components. Thus, if you hitch up or load up cargo that exceeds the wheel load ratings, or the axle load ratings, or other ratings, you will have problems ... even if the tires are OK.

But, pressure? Come on. The factory wheels will handle air pressure just fine. If that makes you uncomfortable, that's perfectly fine ... but don't suggest to others that this is a prudent step to take.

Use air pressure to match your load, your trucks ratings, the tire's capability, and the ride characteristics you're going for. But, ignore this nonsense about factory wheels that can't handle higher air pressures.
The only way to find out for sure is to inspect the rim and see what psi the rim is rated for it should be stamped some where on the back side of the rim
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #35

X2 what NMWildcat said in his first response. Although the sticker on the door is there for a reason, more for pleasure driving and better riding, I would lean to what's on the tire itself. You know reading through 33 responses, no one ever said to ask the EXPERTS at a tire shop.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
X2 what NMWildcat said in his first response. Although the sticker on the door is there for a reason, more for pleasure driving and better riding, I would lean to what's on the tire itself. You know reading through 33 responses, no one ever said to ask the EXPERTS at a tire shop.
Sadly, most tire shop personnel aren't well enough versed in what we do as RVers to give a correct answer.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Sadly, most tire shop personnel aren't well enough versed in what we do as RVers to give a correct answer.
I agree! And the trouble with experts is if you ask 10 of them the same question, I'm betting you will get 6 different answers
Old 02-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
That is a good possibility for the issue. Here is a related article from Can-Am RV that was in the Airstream Life magazine a while back. Talks to loading of wheels when turning. But could be related...

I know that Andy is a well respected expert in the Airstream world...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Why does my ball lean.pdf (562.8 KB, 19 views)
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
For those of us in light duty F150 or 1500 class trucks, max pressure on a D or E tire could cause rim failure.

FYI the door sticker is for the fully loaded truck.
Not true. Put LT tires on my F150 and the Discount tire rep said I could run what ever I wanted. I ran 45 psi 90% of the time. I even ran 50 psi a few times towing. Most rims don't have PSI ratings anymore. They have load ratings. As long as you're not over loaded then there shouldn't be any problems.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
[...]the Discount tire rep said I could run what ever I wanted.
I'm not disputing what you say about the rims, but on that note, I'd be circumspect with whatever any "tire rep" or the like tells you... I'd always get a second objective opinion.

Tags
tire