Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

Tire wear one tire

I have greywolf 29bh tt with newly installed rear and front axles . The front driver side tire is wearing in the inside but only at one spot. Tire has been balanced and this is the second tire at this position that has happened. Any suggestions? Any hints?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #2

bent axle, overloaded on one side, not towng level.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #3

But all the other 3 tires are fine
Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

regardless, it is likely one of the three
Old 07-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #5

take a close look under the trailer at the arch in the axles. if the one wearing the tire is bowed down, that will cause inside wear.
my 5th wheel wears on the outside on the passenger side. recently, i looked at the axles while connected to the truck. the front axle is bowed up and rear axle is straight. the front axle on mine isn't taking enough load. i'm going to try and lower the hitch a little and see if it redistributes.
it sounds like the one (on urs) with the wear is carrying too much load.
general info: the axles are arched with the bow up. that bow will be reduced as the weight of the trailer is put on them.
axles can be re-arched by a spring shop. new axles shouldn't need this.
by the way, it took me only 5 yrs to figure this out on mine. i had the alignment checked 3 yrs after i bought (by the dealer) and it was declared inline.
after adjusting the hitch, i should know if it works after a year or two.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #6

Do you have springs, or are they torsion axles?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #7

It is spring. Dexter 3500 lbs axles. Anyone know who can look and fix axles near west yellowstone?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleon01 View Post
I have greywolf 29bh tt with newly installed rear and front axles . The front driver side tire is wearing in the inside but only at one spot. Tire has been balanced and this is the second tire at this position that has happened. Any suggestions? Any hints?
If the tire is wearing only in one spot and not all around, then it is called 'cupping', and is caused by an out of balance tire. Not a camber or axle problem. Since this is the second balance you may have an out of balance brake drum. Some tire stores have the ability to spin the tire on the trailer which will show up the unbalance condition. Don't attempt to balance again with wheel weights. You need to replace the drum.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

on my vehicle, cupping was due to running under inflated tires. but they were the front tires (steering tires on my truck).
the trailer, i wear all the way around (but only on the outside the other three wear normal). the weight distribution is what i suspect on mine.

before u get too far along, try putting a different tire in that spot and check the inflation and see if it shows the same wear; it may be something as simple as the cord broken in that tire. sometimes, if it is the tire itself, you can run ur hand along the tread (around the tire tread) and feel a knot.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
If the tire is wearing only in one spot and not all around, then it is called 'cupping', and is caused by an out of balance tire. Not a camber or axle problem. Since this is the second balance you may have an out of balance brake drum. Some tire stores have the ability to spin the tire on the trailer which will show up the unbalance condition. Don't attempt to balance again with wheel weights. You need to replace the drum.
To test this theory, with a marker mark one of the lug bolts and the rim where that lug passes through the hole, then remove the tire/rim and remount off setting the lug to see if the tire wear starts at a new spot consistent with the previous mount.

You could also rotate the tires to see if it is specific to that drum