Old 09-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
If you can swing the price, they're hard to beat. I had my dealer swap out the China tires for G614s before we came to pick it up. I keep my tires around 100 psi and they have stayed that way since April.

I love the peace of mind plus they're rated at 75 mph if that means anything to you. I don't do 75 mph but when I have to pass someone on I-95, I don't worry about the tires at all.

Truth be told, you can opt for the Sailun S637 and save almost $100/tire. Same specs, just not a name brand. I've yet to hear any and reviews of users of them.

ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #22
Lost in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
On my last trip I had lost a sensor on one of my tires and would you not know that tire started to leak, leaking valve stem. I want to change to metal valve stems, how do I find the size?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Screw down stems all come with 2 rubber grommets that fit all rim holes, big and small. You just choose the correct one and use that. When you install them or have them installed, the nut that secures the stem to the rim and puts pressure on the rubber hole grommet cannot be too tight. Recommended torque is 15 inch pounds and apply some good grease to the grommet before installing it in the rim hole. The grease helps it seat easier and prevents any leaks.

I don't use anything else, from my lawn tractor to the cars to the pickup to my quad trailer, every wheel had a screw down stem.

In the old days when rubber valve stems were actually rubber and made here, they lasted.

Modern, made in China synthetic rubber valve stems rot in a couple years and then you have a leak and a blown (from too little pressure) tire. Cheap insurance. in my book.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
On my last trip I had lost a sensor on one of my tires and would you not know that tire started to leak, leaking valve stem. I want to change to metal valve stems, how do I find the size?

There are two with many choices.
Tire Tech Information - Tire Valve Types, Components & Uses
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Screw down stems all come with 2 rubber grommets that fit all rim holes, big and small. You just choose the correct one and use that. When you install them or have them installed, the nut that secures the stem to the rim and puts pressure on the rubber hole grommet cannot be too tight. Recommended torque is 15 inch pounds and apply some good grease to the grommet before installing it in the rim hole. The grease helps it seat easier and prevents any leaks.

I don't use anything else, from my lawn tractor to the cars to the pickup to my quad trailer, every wheel had a screw down stem.

In the old days when rubber valve stems were actually rubber and made here, they lasted.

Modern, made in China synthetic rubber valve stems rot in a couple years and then you have a leak and a blown (from too little pressure) tire. Cheap insurance. in my book.
"grommet cannot be too tight" Yes you can be too tight and split the grommet. Spec is 25-45 inch pounds. Not 15 in-lb or 10 Ft pounds or more

" apply some good grease to the grommet " Not a good idea. Haven't you ever heard that petroleum products can hurt rubber? Use standard tire mounting lube like "Murphys" on the grommet as you would on tire bead and flange area of the wheel as I do on my mounting machine I have at home.

Yes there was a batch of improperly made passenger valve stems a few years ago but the rubber in most passenger and LT tires and maybe ST type has been almost 100% synthetic for years.

Yes most bolt in metal valves like this

do come with two different size grommets.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #25
Lost in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
"grommet cannot be too tight" Yes you can be too tight and split the grommet. Spec is 25-45 inch pounds. Not 15 in-lb or 10 Ft pounds or more

" apply some good grease to the grommet " Not a good idea. Haven't you ever heard that petroleum products can hurt rubber? Use standard tire mounting lube like "Murphys" on the grommet as you would on tire bead and flange area of the wheel as I do on my mounting machine I have at home.

Yes there was a batch of improperly made passenger valve stems a few years ago but the rubber in most passenger and LT tires and maybe ST type has been almost 100% synthetic for years.

Yes most bolt in metal valves like this

do come with two different size grommets.
I bet you are one of those tire jockeys who ignore the balance mark on a new tire so you can charge the customer for a 'balance' too....lol

I use silicone grease not petroleum based grease, maybe I should have stated that and I stand by 15-20 inch pounds on the fixing nut. You want to seat the grommet, not deform it.

Valve stems (rubber or hybrid synthetic) are made offshore today and they are generally all junk.

Why even bother with conventional valve stems anyway. If a rubber stem was so good, why is it that ALL large trucks have screw down stems. Simple answer, screw down is superior.

You mount yous and I'll mount mine
Old 09-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I bet you are one of those tire jockeys who ignore the balance mark on a new tire so you can charge the customer for a 'balance' too....lol

I use silicone grease not petroleum based grease, maybe I should have stated that and I stand by 15-20 inch pounds on the fixing nut. You want to seat the grommet, not deform it.

Valve stems (rubber or hybrid synthetic) are made offshore today and they are generally all junk.

Why even bother with conventional valve stems anyway. If a rubber stem was so good, why is it that ALL large trucks have screw down stems. Simple answer, screw down is superior.

You mount yous and I'll mount mine
Sorry just a tire design and quality engineer with 40 years experience. Only tires I mounted were the few hundred race tires I sold in late 70's as a "paying" hobby and the couple of sets I may mount each year on my machine in my workshop.

"All" street tires tires do not have balance or high point marks.
Even when you "match mount", balance weights are many times needed and the only way to know how much or where is to perform a balance measurement.
Yes it would have helped if you said silicone grease, although I would still prefer Murphys as it is designed to be slippery when wet to allow rubber to slide against the metal rims. Then when it dries it is very sticky and prevents slip. This can be a problem with tires if they slip on the rim and change the balance point. Might also be a problem with bolt in valves as the valve might also move and rotate in the hole in the wheel with something that is always slippery like silicone grease.
Would be interested to see your lab test data on "all" tire valves. What physical property are you using to indicate they are "junk"?

RE torque. TRA standards book indicates "Recommended torque at installation: 25-45 inch pounds" Maybe you need to contact them and point out their error.

I do not see where I suggested that people should use regular rubber "snap-in" valves like TR-413. In my blog and in many posts I recommend bolt in valves as seen in the picture in my post.

Have a good time in your RV.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal camper View Post
Just bought 2017 Sandpiper in July. China "bombs" from factory. 1st blowout "Westlake" third time out!! Need recommendations for good, safe, and dependable tires. Never will I understand why FR puts CHEAP tires on brand new RV. Thanks in advance for your help!!!
I've been waiting for Tireman9 to reply to the OP about his "Blowout" he has posted on various RV forums about what causes your tire failure and the term "Blowout" is not the proper description of what has happened.
I was admonished for explaining that most people use the term "Blowout" for almost all tire "failures" because that is what we are accustomed to calling them.
2015 Harley CVO StreetGlide
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #28

My Silverado tires are about gone, they are Goodyears and Goodyears will go back on truck. Pulling a fifth wheel wears them out. I will put metal stems on this time. My next trip is probably going to be about 3,000 miles and on my back tires I can see Lincoln's head.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:24 PM   #29
Lost in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sorry just a tire design and quality engineer with 40 years experience. Only tires I mounted were the few hundred race tires I sold in late 70's as a "paying" hobby and the couple of sets I may mount each year on my machine in my workshop.

"All" street tires tires do not have balance or high point marks.
Even when you "match mount", balance weights are many times needed and the only way to know how much or where is to perform a balance measurement.
Yes it would have helped if you said silicone grease, although I would still prefer Murphys as it is designed to be slippery when wet to allow rubber to slide against the metal rims. Then when it dries it is very sticky and prevents slip. This can be a problem with tires if they slip on the rim and change the balance point. Might also be a problem with bolt in valves as the valve might also move and rotate in the hole in the wheel with something that is always slippery like silicone grease.
Would be interested to see your lab test data on "all" tire valves. What physical property are you using to indicate they are "junk"?

RE torque. TRA standards book indicates "Recommended torque at installation: 25-45 inch pounds" Maybe you need to contact them and point out their error.

I do not see where I suggested that people should use regular rubber "snap-in" valves like TR-413. In my blog and in many posts I recommend bolt in valves as seen in the picture in my post.

Have a good time in your RV.
Wrong, it's a Federal DOT requirement for all tires, passenger and commercial.

Not here to dance with you... Don't want to but your statement I bolded is flat wrong.

But then again, you may be a retired authority key word retired. It's a Federal regulation.

Have a good time with your blog or whatever it is.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #30

Mmmm. I would put money on who is correct here...

Tags
tire, tires