Old 09-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #31

As would I.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Wrong, it's a Federal DOT requirement for all tires, passenger and commercial.

Not here to dance with you... Don't want to but your statement I bolded is flat wrong.

But then again, you may be a retired authority key word retired. It's a Federal regulation.

Have a good time with your blog or whatever it is.

I have no dog in this fight but care to link/quote your source?

ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #33

Quote:

Not here to dance with you... Don't want to but your statement I bolded is flat wrong.

But then again, you may be a retired authority key word retired. It's a Federal regulation.

Not an expert by all means on Title 49 › Subtitle B › Chapter V › Part 574 › Section 574.5 - Tire identification requirements; however, I'm having a hard time finding anything about this mark in the mandated TIN (Tire Idenification Number) marking requirements. I believe, this particular Title (49) is not updated till Oct 1 each year (the Title I am very familiar with-27 is updated earlier in the year), so maybe you have some inside info about an upcoming update.
Just curious.....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #34

Quote:

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...rkings-serve-a
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #35
Site Team

This is just too easy for me to settle, being in the position I am in. I just went and grabbed a couple of new Goodyear's off the rack and took pics. As everyone can see, not all tires have the balance and/or high point marks. Nor are they required too.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1475170209134.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	121589Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1475170223915.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	121590Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1475170241707.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	121591Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1475170256528.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	121592

I just threw some salt over my shoulder for good luck. Ended up smashing a mirror with the salt shaker.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sorry just a tire design and quality engineer with 40 years experience. Only tires I mounted were the few hundred race tires I sold in late 70's as a "paying" hobby and the couple of sets I may mount each year on my machine in my workshop.

"All" street tires tires do not have balance or high point marks.
Even when you "match mount", balance weights are many times needed and the only way to know how much or where is to perform a balance measurement.
Yes it would have helped if you said silicone grease, although I would still prefer Murphys as it is designed to be slippery when wet to allow rubber to slide against the metal rims. Then when it dries it is very sticky and prevents slip. This can be a problem with tires if they slip on the rim and change the balance point. Might also be a problem with bolt in valves as the valve might also move and rotate in the hole in the wheel with something that is always slippery like silicone grease.
Would be interested to see your lab test data on "all" tire valves. What physical property are you using to indicate they are "junk"?

RE torque. TRA standards book indicates "Recommended torque at installation: 25-45 inch pounds" Maybe you need to contact them and point out their error.

I do not see where I suggested that people should use regular rubber "snap-in" valves like TR-413. In my blog and in many posts I recommend bolt in valves as seen in the picture in my post.

Have a good time in your RV.
May I also add to ensure an even better ride, tire life and wear have every tire mounted "Road Force" checked and the tire will be mounted in its most optimum position in relation to the wheel, then at that point the tire can be balanced.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This is just too easy for me to settle, being in the position I am in. I just went and grabbed a couple of new Goodyear's off the rack and took pics. As everyone can see, not all tires have the balance and/or high point marks. Nor are they required too.Attachment 121589Attachment 121590Attachment 121591Attachment 121592
Having installed 1000's of tires you are exactly correct of not having the marks on all tires for orientation. If they do we orientate them to the stem and then road force ck the assy and the re-orientate the tires on the rim for the lowest road force achievable. Takes time, sometimes cost more but uses lower total weight and creates a better ride with lower drift pull issues...
Old 09-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #38

Interesting info after the popcorn...
Commercial Truck Tires & OTR Tire Solutions - Bridgestone
https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires-1...match-mounting

All interesting articles... The more I see here the more I need more info. I already am scared to walk by a tire. I have always said..There is a professional everything. You pick a topic and there is professional version.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
I've been waiting for Tireman9 to reply to the OP about his "Blowout" he has posted on various RV forums about what causes your tire failure and the term "Blowout" is not the proper description of what has happened.
I was admonished for explaining that most people use the term "Blowout" for almost all tire "failures" because that is what we are accustomed to calling them.

I don't care what anybody says. When I hear what sounds like a 12 guage shotgun going off and look in the mirror and see pieces of tire/tread flying off in all directions, it's a "blowout"!

I don't care if it started as "tread separation", it still blew out.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #40
Lost in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I have no dog in this fight but care to link/quote your source?
He may be right on prevailing torque on the nuts on screw down valve stems but, in my other life (not camping), I'm a Federally authorized examiner trainer for commercial drivers and I'm a safety and risk management officer for a large commercial carrier.

I'm quoting the regulation concerning static balance indicators on tires from the FMCSA handbook, parts 40, 202, 325. 350-399 Inclusive. The regulation regarding manufacturers to mark the heaviest point on any new tire applied to class 6-8 truck tires and non commercial tires as well and has been in force for a number of years. Non commercial tires manufacturers are required to only provide one indicator whereas commercial tire manufacturers are required to provide 3 marks of different colors, usually red, green and blue with green being the centerpoint.

You can go read the regs if you want to. I happen to have the book sitting here but they are online and at your library...

ISBN Number is: 978-1-60287-592-0

My License number and Certification number is: 6998

Next.....

Tags
tire, tires