Old 09-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
One thing I do need to make clear is that while DOT regulations state without exception that all new tires be balance point marked, when you buy a set of or one tire, the mark may bot be visible...

The mark was placed on the carcass sidewall at the factory but the mark is made in a contrasting ink, usually white in the case of consumer tires, however, it can get rubbed off in handing.

Tires are shipped via commercial carrier (like the one I work for) in dry vans, stacked inside, on their sidewalls. The sidewalls rub together in transit, then get rubbed again when offloaded, rubbed again when racked and rubbed again when shipped to a retail dealer and rubbed again when installed. All that rubbing sometimes renders the balance mark illegible. Why raised white letter sidewalls have the blue contact film applied, so they don't get scuffed in transit.

There is nothing protective on the balance mark, in fact, when I mount a tire personally (I mount all my own tires, I own a Coats tire machine and balancer stand, I take a paint marker and mark the balance point because just washing a sidewall will remove it.

The regulations don't state what has to be used for the mark (usually a circle or dot in white), only that they have to be marked when leaving the OEM.
Please, I'm still waiting for the CFR (code of federal regulation), which is the basis for Federal regulations. I have done a few searches on ecfr and can find no federal "requirement." So, if stating there is a Federal requirement, a person usually has access to the codes, thus the statute that pertains to this code.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Please, I'm still waiting for the CFR (code of federal regulation), which is the basis for Federal regulations. I have done a few searches on ecfr and can find no federal "requirement." So, if stating there is a Federal requirement, a person usually has access to the codes, thus the statute that pertains to this code.
This is just one of those situations where it was 'thought' something was one way, but it wasn't. I have been in touch with the member, and it's been verified that there is no such federal regulation concerning balance/hi point marks on either commercial or passenger tires.

I just threw some salt over my shoulder for good luck. Ended up smashing a mirror with the salt shaker.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This is just one of those situations where it was 'thought' something was one way, but it wasn't. I have been in touch with the member, and it's been verified that there is no such federal regulation concerning balance/hi point marks on either commercial or passenger tires.
I know.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #54
Usually Confused Member

OK then. Back to the original?? What's the red/white dot mean.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
OK then. Back to the original?? What's the red/white dot mean.
That's not the original question, but Airdale did provide this answer in the link in his post #34.

I just threw some salt over my shoulder for good luck. Ended up smashing a mirror with the salt shaker.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #56

Attached Images

Old 10-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #57
Mod free 5er

Old 10-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #58
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That's not the original question, but Airdale did provide this answer in the link in his post #34.
Original, in this case meant to be the dot. I did read the referenced and all I got from that was the dot may or may not indicate balance point or position reference or whatever. There is no specific rule about the use of the dot.

Best I can come up with is when you see the dot it definitely means someone put a dot on the tire.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #59

Sidecar. I have never been charged a balance charge when i get new tires why bother balancing them if they are marked seems a waste of time. When i bought my "new" Ram it has weights on it from the factory maybe you should point this out to them think of all the time and material they would save.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #60
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Sidecar. I have never been charged a balance charge when i get new tires why bother balancing them if they are marked seems a waste of time. When i bought my "new" Ram it has weights on it from the factory maybe you should point this out to them think of all the time and material they would save.
Pretty sure it's a rare thing to find a set of perfectly balanced wheels.

Tags
tire, tires