Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #1

TIRES???

Just bought 2017 Sandpiper in July. China "bombs" from factory. 1st blowout "Westlake" third time out!! Need recommendations for good, safe, and dependable tires. Never will I understand why FR puts CHEAP tires on brand new RV. Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Cardinal camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #2

I know why FR does it, to save money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

1st thing to do IMHO is to look at the published gross trailer weight and compare that to the OEM tires load range ratings. Determine if there is any safety factor built into the OEM tire's loading... you may opt for a bigger load range tire with a larger safety margin... then shop for a brand and reputable dealer to supply those tires.

example
total gross trailer weight - 7000#
Load range is a measure of an individual tire's maximum capacity to carry a load. Many trailer tires have a load range of C. If a tire has load range C, it can carry 1,820 pounds per tire/wheel.[/QUOTE]

1820# X 4 tires = 7280# total weight load carrying capacity of 4 tires

only 280#/4 = 70# per tire safety margin... not enough IMO...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #4

Personally, I will never again drive off a dealer's lot with Chinese tires on the unit. I've learned my lesson the hard way and will not go down that road again. If the dealer refuses to change out the tires, I will drive away without another word and find another dealer. JMHO.... and experience!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #5

Goodyear LT G614's is what we went with after our first blowout last year. Pricey at around $330 apiece plus a TPMS set but, I don't worry anymore.

2 weeks ago, I found low tire pressure in one just before leaving the campground. I gave it some thought as I "topped it off" & thought I would check it more thoroughly at our next stop. Well, just as I was unhitching it at our new destination, one of the brass/rubber combination valve stems let loose........on a different tire! So, I decided I would take that opportunity to take all 4 off and bring them in for new steel valve stems. Found that the one that was low on air was because it had a small nail in the inside sidewall!! I had kept a close eye on the TPMS and the pressure & temp never varied from the other three for the entire 200 mile trip. I have no idea when, prior to my discovering the low tire pressure, I picked up that nail. The tire showed no bulge or any other signs of damage or imminent failure other than the nail sticking out of the sidewall.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #6

Rracer5, does that tire require a special rim?
Old 09-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #7

I routinely replace ALL my rubber valve stems with screw down stems. Valve stems are ASAE rated by design. Normal all rubber stems are rated for maximum 65 psi, metal / rubber stems are rated maximum 85 psi and screw down stems are rated 135 psi. Why take a chance. Metal screw down valve stems are the safe bet.

The issue is, most tire shops don't stock them. I get mine from NAPA (Schrader or Milton) and when I have tires done, I have them install the screw down stems.

One other thing that most consumers don't know is, all new tires have a balance mark on the sidewall from the factory (that's a DOT requirement by the way). When you have new tires installed, makes sure the tire jockey installs the tire with the balance mark at the valve stem. I mount my own tires at times and I rarely have to add weight to get one in balance.

..and yes, I stand there when a tire jockey mounts my tires. I make sure the balance mark is on the valve stem part of the rim.

Note, the balance mark will be a red dot or a white one, depending on brand but it will always be on the tire sidewall.

Rubber stems will eventually fail, screw down metal stems rarely fail.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #8

I need new boat trailer tires soon; my original tires (Nanco 4.80 x 12 tires that came with a Shorelander trailer) are getting seriously weather-cracked.

Online searches find Kenda, Taskmaster, Carlisle, Hi-Run, Greenball Towmaster, Nanco, and an unnamed brand from Northern Tool as my available choices.

It appears that quality choices for many trailer sizes are few.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #9

I run Kenda's on my ADV bike with no issue and I have them on my Shorelander quad trailer... no issues. Put on screw down stems too and balance them.

You need to keep the tiny tires rock hard. any low pressure is an instant blow out.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:04 AM   #10

On my last trip I had lost a sensor on one of my tires and would you not know that tire started to leak, leaking valve stem. I want to change to metal valve stems, how do I find the size?

Old 09-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal camper View Post
Just bought 2017 Sandpiper in July. China "bombs" from factory. 1st blowout "Westlake" third time out!! Need recommendations for good, safe, and dependable tires. Never will I understand why FR puts CHEAP tires on brand new RV. Thanks in advance for your help!!!
What size and load rating tires are (were) the Westlake tires on your trailer? The reason I ask is that I have towed my Cedar Creek with the Westlake tires on my trailer for 10K+ miles without issues. But the tires are ST235/85R16, load range G,14 PLY and aired to 110 psi.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I routinely replace ALL my rubber valve stems with screw down (I think you mean bolt in) stems. Valve stems are ASAE (Tire & Rim Association) rated by design. Normal all rubber stems are rated for maximum 65 psi (correct for TR413,TR414 TR425 type), metal / rubber stems are rated maximum 85 psi (600HP & 602HP are rated for 80 psi)and screw down stems are rated 135 psi.(Bolt in TR416 and similar are rated for 200 psi and can be had at auto parts stores for about $2 each) Why take a chance. Metal screw down valve stems are the safe bet.

The issue is, most tire shops don't stock them. I get mine from NAPA (Schrader or Milton) and when I have tires done, I have them install the screw down stems.

One other thing that most consumers don't know is, all ( This is true for OE tires made by major tire companies but not all tires have this, especially no-name ST type as this costs money) new tires have a balance mark on the sidewall from the factory (that's NOT a DOT requirement by the way). When you have new tires installed, makes sure the tire jockey installs the tire with the balance mark at the valve stem. I mount my own tires at times and I rarely have to add weight to get one in balance.

..and yes, I stand there when a tire jockey mounts my tires. I make sure the balance mark is on the valve stem part of the rim.

Note, the balance mark will be a red dot or a white one, depending on brand but it will always be on the tire sidewall.

Rubber stems will eventually fail, screw down metal stems rarely fail.
I agree with the idea of installing bolt in metal stems similar to what is shown in my picture in all RV applications.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
On my last trip I had lost a sensor on one of my tires and would you not know that tire started to leak, leaking valve stem. I want to change to metal valve stems, how do I find the size?

Just about any auto parts store (Auto Zone, Advance Auto, O'Reileys, NAPA etc) will have bolt in metal stems. They usually come with two different size rubber grommets to fit the two different hole sizes.

Also Amazon has them.

NOTE the nut should be installed to 25 - 45 inch pounds torque but a competent tire store should know that.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Just about any auto parts store (Auto Zone, Advance Auto, O'Reileys, NAPA etc) will have bolt in metal stems. They usually come with two different size rubber grommets to fit the two different hole sizes.

Also Amazon has them.

NOTE the nut should be installed to 25 - 45 inch pounds torque but a competent tire store should know that.

How do you know what size will fit? The ones on Amazon said the ones pictured would fit two sizes. Is that true?

Old 09-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Rracer5, does that tire require a special rim?

Yes. Requires a rim rated at 110 lb/psi minimum. This info should be stamped/cast into the rim/spoke area.....usually on the backside of the rim.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #16

Tks. My rims do have that stamped on them.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #17

Jim34RL, mine are 235-80-16 aired to 80 lbs. 10 ply.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #18

SidecarFlip, Tks for the info. !!!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Jim34RL, mine are 235-80-16 aired to 80 lbs. 10 ply.

BTW, the Goodyear G614's are a 14 ply LT G rated tire aired to 100 lbs!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Yes. Requires a rim rated at 110 lb/psi minimum. This info should be stamped/cast into the rim/spoke area.....usually on the backside of the rim.
Quote:
Tks. My rims do have that stamped on them.
If you can swing the price, they're hard to beat. I had my dealer swap out the China tires for G614s before we came to pick it up. I keep my tires around 100 psi and they have stayed that way since April.

I love the peace of mind plus they're rated at 75 mph if that means anything to you. I don't do 75 mph but when I have to pass someone on I-95, I don't worry about the tires at all.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires