Old 06-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #11
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Think the 44psi is for a P rated tire. A D will be 65 and an E will be 80.
That is correct. Oversight by me! And to think I was actually looking right at the "P" tire on our work truck and still missed it.

2016 Flagstaff 23LB
howie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
I have the same tt and tow with a 2005 Silverado. I had Goodyear wranglers on it till a couple of weeks ago. I put Michelin LT 265 70/17 E on it. What a difference in the ride. Quiter and smoother. The folks at Michelin said run 50 psi when not pulling trailer and 55 when pulling. Weight distribution hitch with sway Very happy with the way it pulls.

david345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #13
I had a similar problem on a previous camper using the Reese Duo Cam hitch. I can tell you that you must set that hitch up based on the actual loading that you normally carry in both the TV and TT. Dealers generally set these hitches up without having them under load and they simply will not work correctly. I am sure the tires will help, but I am betting that you will need to reconfigure and tune that hitch if you want to eliminate most of the sway problem. I can also tell you that there is a world of difference in the Reese Duo Cam and the Equalizer with the four point sway control. I would not trade my Equalizer for two Duo Cams.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #14
I hope you did not go with "e" tires!

Originally Posted by tntbream View Post
Thanks everyone. Aquaman, the "P" I was referring to was in the tire size (P265/70R17). The technician said I need a truck tire that starts with a T (T265...). Perhaps the technician was incorrect.

I just got off the phone with my tire guy and I think I am going with the Michelin LT-X M/S2 in the E-rated version.

I appreciate everyone's help. You guys rock!
Yes all the folks who chimed in where on the mark with the fact the "p" rated tires on your truck where a "Passenger" tire hence the "p" now as for the "e" rated tires it will be a HUGE waste of money!!

Now before all of you jump all over me go to tire racks web site link here
and you will see that there is a 265 in non :"e" and a rated "e" tire, now yes everyone is correct that the "e" rated tire will be strong and solid BUT everyone in the room is missing is elephant in the room "PSI" the non rated tires are a rating od 44 psi and the "e" rated tire is rated at 80 psi, since you had "p" rated tires on from the factory, you will not be safe putting the "e" rated tires on as the wheel will break and you will get into an accident! "P" rated wheels are only good may be up to 40 psi, so you can only safely put the non "e" rated tire unless you are going to also change all the wheels out also, and to change all the wheels to 8- psi wheels and to also purchase the "e" rated tires will not be CHEAP!

Foe everyone please go to the National highway safety web site and learn about tires and safety for the safety of everyone including your family's and mine.
Happy Camping
2010 Cedar Creek Silverback 35ts
2001 GMC 2500HD w/ Allison & 8.1
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
The tire guy was wrong about needing a T rated tire, look up the T rating and it stands for the Temporary spare tire not a truck tire. As silverback stated check the inside of the wheel the max pressure is required to be stamped on the wheel, this will tell you for sure if the LT range tire will work on your wheels. I would check before buying the Load Range E tires, or have the tire guy confirm the max pressure for you.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #16
If you are going to make a broad statement like that can you back it up with facts that all rims with P tires are only rated to 44psi.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #17
Originally Posted by tntbream View Post
We have a new 2608WS and our tow vehicle is a 2012 Ford Expedition EL. We are noticing a lot of bounce and sway when towing the vehicle, especially on highway driving (with cars and trucks passing us). We have a Reese weight distribution hitch with the cams which we were told would work better for the new camper than our old setup which was a weight distribution hitch with the sway bar. However, the sway and bounce is much worse with the new camper and new hitch.

I just had it into the RV dealership to take a look at the hitch setup and they adjusted it slightly but said it looked within spec to them. The technician then told me I should get truck tires on my vehicle to tow the new camper. He said the passenger tires don't have enough support in the sidewalls and they "squish" to much under the weight of the camper and thus they get "pushed" all over the road and it feels like sway. We currently have Continental Contitrac TR P265/70R17 tires on the vehicle and the tech said instead of the "P" we should have tires that start with "T".

I contacted my tire dealer and he recommended a Michelin LT-X M/S2 tire (light truck). However, these also start with a "P" instead of a "T".

So I am a bit confused what to get. The tire dealer recommends the light truck tires but they are still "P" tires. Should these tires help out better than what I have now? Should I look for "T" tires instead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I recently put Dueler A/T Revo 2 - LT on my expedition and they ride so much better than the originals that it came with. In everyday driving the vehicle corners betters and feels more stable. Pulling as everyone has said will be a new experience with no Jell-O feeling. You will not be disappointed in the switch.
2016 Freedom Express 28SE
2013 Expedition EL

Days Camped 2016 - 35
Days Camped 2015 - 20
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:07 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
If you are going to make a broad statement like that can you back it up with facts that all rims with P tires are only rated to 44psi.
Rims are rated for LOAD not pressure. The weight they are rated to support is stamped on the rim somewhere. Since the OEM rim is designed to support at least the maximum rated axle load divided by 2; you should be fine.

As to the "wasted money" or not, I would not buy a load range tire that exceeded the axle rating divided by 2 by more than 1 load range. THAT would be wasted money.

If you have load range D P tires on there now, E in an LT tire would be fine; but so would load range D in a good quality LT tire. I REALLY like my Michelin's on the truck. It came with Goodyear E and I replaced them with Michelin E when they needed replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4877.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	80933  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #19
In case you have not seen them, some good info at

Note the following:
P-metric tires used on passenger cars and station wagons are rated to carry 100% of the load indicated on the tire's sidewall (or listed for the tire in industry load/inflation charts). However, if the same P-metric tires are used on light trucks, (pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles for example), their carrying capacity is reduced to 91% of the load indicated on the tire's sidewall. This reduction in load results in causing light truck vehicle manufacturers to select proportionately larger P-metric sized tires for their vehicles to help offset the forces and loads resulting from a light truck's higher center of gravity and increased possibility of being occasionally "overloaded."
For example, P235/75R15 P-metric sized, standard load tires used on cars and light trucks would be rated to carry the following maximum loads at 35 psi:
CarsFull Value2028 lbs.
Light Trucks
9% Reduced Value1845 lbs.

PT Avenger 33BHS-TE
GMC 2500HD SLE 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0 with 4.10's
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote

tire, tires, tow vehicle, truck