Old 06-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

Tires on Tow Vehicle (Truck or Passenger)?

We have a new 2608WS and our tow vehicle is a 2012 Ford Expedition EL. We are noticing a lot of bounce and sway when towing the vehicle, especially on highway driving (with cars and trucks passing us). We have a Reese weight distribution hitch with the cams which we were told would work better for the new camper than our old setup which was a weight distribution hitch with the sway bar. However, the sway and bounce is much worse with the new camper and new hitch.

I just had it into the RV dealership to take a look at the hitch setup and they adjusted it slightly but said it looked within spec to them. The technician then told me I should get truck tires on my vehicle to tow the new camper. He said the passenger tires don't have enough support in the sidewalls and they "squish" to much under the weight of the camper and thus they get "pushed" all over the road and it feels like sway. We currently have Continental Contitrac TR P265/70R17 tires on the vehicle and the tech said instead of the "P" we should have tires that start with "T".

I contacted my tire dealer and he recommended a Michelin LT-X M/S2 tire (light truck). However, these also start with a "P" instead of a "T".

So I am a bit confused what to get. The tire dealer recommends the light truck tires but they are still "P" tires. Should these tires help out better than what I have now? Should I look for "T" tires instead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #2

10 ply tires, aka, E rated, are what you want. It will hurt the day to day riding comfort but wow, the towing difference you'll feel is night and day.

I had an expedition with the E rated tires (michelin) and it towed great, got a new chevy truck with P rated tires and it's like driving on 4 blocks of jello when towing. I"m used to it now but it was scary the first few trips.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #3

I just posted a tire question myself. LOL Perhaps your dealer was referring to an "E" rated tire? They have a stiffer sidewall to reduce the "squish" when loaded with weight. (like pulling a camper) I havne't went this route yet, but several of my friends have went with the E rated tires and claim they are a big improvement. Not sure if the Michelins you mentioned are E rated or not.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntbream View Post
".

I contacted my tire dealer and he recommended a Michelin LT-X M/S2 tire (light truck). However, these also start with a "P" instead of a "T".

So I am a bit confused what to get. The tire dealer recommends the light truck tires but they are still "P" tires. Should these tires help out better than what I have now? Should I look for "T" tires instead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I'm not quite sure I understand. The "Michelin LT-X M/S2" tire doesn't have a "P" anywhere in the name. The tire starts with "LT". That is what you want to look for.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I'm not quite sure I understand. The "Michelin LT-X M/S2" tire doesn't have a "P" anywhere in the name. The tire starts with "LT". That is what you want to look for.
Not sure about the "P" myself, but I still think he wants to look for more than the "LT". Looking at the specs for this tire on tirerack.com, they are available in "SL" - standard load and "E". The E is what you want.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=LTX+M%2FS2
Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. Aquaman, the "P" I was referring to was in the tire size (P265/70R17). The technician said I need a truck tire that starts with a T (T265...). Perhaps the technician was incorrect.

I just got off the phone with my tire guy and I think I am going with the Michelin LT-X M/S2 in the E-rated version.

I appreciate everyone's help. You guys rock!
Old 06-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #7

That size of tire is available, in the LTX line, as both a P and LT rated tire. The LT is what you want.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntbream View Post
Thanks everyone. Aquaman, the "P" I was referring to was in the tire size (P265/70R17). The technician said I need a truck tire that starts with a T (T265...). Perhaps the technician was incorrect.

I just got off the phone with my tire guy and I think I am going with the Michelin LT-X M/S2 in the E-rated version.

I appreciate everyone's help. You guys rock!
Ask to see one of the tires BEFORE they are mounted, make sure it says LT on the sidewall.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Ask to see one of the tires BEFORE they are mounted, make sure it says LT on the sidewall.
Also look for the E rating. One way to tell is on the E rated tires, where it gives the load rating, after the amount of pounds it is rated for it will say at 80 psi. The Michelin LT standard load will say 44 psi.
It should also be stamped with a 121/118 RE somewhere.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
...The Michelin LT standard load will say 44 psi.
It should also be stamped with a 121/118 RE somewhere.
Think the 44psi is for a P rated tire. A D will be 65 and an E will be 80.

Tags
tire, tires, tow vehicle, truck