Old 11-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #31

on flushing, the Ford dealer is the one doing it. I'm assuming they are somehow back flushing thru the filter as well but don't really know what they r doing. their paperwork says flush and installed a transfer kit. don't know if that is their way of saying drained and replaced filter or not.

i did experienced transmission problems on a 67 mustang with a C4 transmission after changing fluid. changed at 36k first time w/o problem next time it was at 90k. the transmission would not make the 2nd shift afterwards. changed the modulator and it would make the 2nd shift but there was nothing there (like going into neutral). after abt a wk of that, i put abt 1/2 cup of brake fluid in it and drove to work (in second). when i left after work, it made both shifts normally. i didn't change it after that and sold the car at 118k.
why the problem would show up immediately after changing the fluid, i don't know; never had anyone explain it to me.

by the way, the same dealer charges $50 to change the engine oil and filter in my F350 diesel truck...that use shell rotella 15-40, i don't think i can do it for that now days.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #32
Oklahoma Proud

If you flush it will get all the fluids out of valve bodys, torque converter and all the other places that fluid travels. If you drain the pan and change the filter you only get what is in the pan- usually 4-6 quarts. A 4L60E trans, I believe takes about 12-13 quarts to flush and total capasity should be pretty close to the same.

All our tranny guys I work with say to flush (and change spin-on, on allisons). But that is at a Gm and toyota dealership so I don't know what others say.

I've always been told to never change filters, that it will break loose junk that is stuck and introduce it back in the system and cause more problems.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #33

I used to own and operate a transmission repair in a previous life (glad that one is gone!). If we did a fluid change on a car that had over 75K miles, we stamped the work order with a stamp that stated that new fluid with active detergents might cause leaks or other mechanical problems. We made the customer sign it before proceeding.

Now that was back in the late 80's, so things may have changed with synthetics and better components.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #34

I have changed the fluid 2x with 214,000 miles currently. Looks like it will only need 1 more change. I let the transmission pump out the remaining old fluid from the hose going to the cooler until it is clean, just don't let it pump out too much at a time. There isn't any filter to clean, just clean the plug. Oh yes, it is a 2000 Honda Civic. I should get 300,000 miles on it easily.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Reading in my Chevy manual it states under normal conditions trans fluid and filter should be changed every 50, 000 miles.

UNDER SEVERE SERVICE . It states fluid and filter should be changed every 25, 000 miles.
See footnote (p)

Footnote (p)
Change trans fluid and filters if vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions.

In heavy traffic when outside temp regularly reaches 90 f or 32 c or higher.

In hilly or mountainous terrain.

When doing frequent trailer towing.

Uses such as taxi police or delivery service.

Turbs
Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #36
Oklahoma Proud

Is that the spin on or internal? My buddy at work says just the spin on.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime
Is that the spin on or internal? My buddy at work says just the spin on.
Both
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #38
Site Team - Lou

My post was verbatim from the Allison/Duramax maintenance booklet.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote