Old 11-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #21
Originally Posted by hatstomper View Post
We took Herk's idea and bought a Chev 3500 (SW) standard box Duramax. GVWR is 11500 so no problem with that now. But plain and simple, if you tow alot a diesel is the way to go.
Don't forget the 3500 SRW gasser...My curb weight is 6580 and the GVWR is 11000. Some like diesel and some, for instance me, like gas.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #22
Hey Wumba, I am about in the same boat as you for I have the 2012 30WRLTS Vlite. I'm sure the weights won't be that much different. I use my (2005 Quad Cab Dodge Ram with the 5.7 Hemi, 3:73 axel, towing package, short bed) about 4-5 times a year to use as a tow vehicle. Just got back from the Georgia mts. 550 miles, 60 mph on hiway and got 9-10 mpg. I get 17-18 mpg going solo. I took it slow and easy pulling the trailer and did fine. I won't win any land speed races but I arrived safely and no worse for wear on the trailer. The only thing that I would say is that quite possibly a long wheel base truck might give me a little more stability but might also increase the turning/backing up distance. I had a diesel once(1999 Dodge Ram with the Cummins, 4:10 axel...). Didn't use it enough and since it sat for long periods of time, it developed a few small but expensive problems. Fuel prices were/are higher than gas hence the need to back down to a gas burner. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing better to pull my trailer than the diesel but with the cost to maintain and fuel prices, well I had to sacrifice.

Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #23
gas or diesel

I have the 6.7 diesel ram 2500, I get 10 to 11 mpg pulling my 30 V-Lite, Some people are supposed to have had a lot of trouble with this Ram but I have not had the least trouble at all, but I keep it serviced when it is supposed to be and do not put any low grade diesel such as farm diesel out of tanks. Could not be happier, just wish it was not a 4x4.
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #24
Originally Posted by Hoo Dad View Post
Don't forget the 3500 SRW gasser...My curb weight is 6580 and the GVWR is 11000. Some like diesel and some, for instance me, like gas.
Absolutely Hoo Dad on the gas. I just like the torque from the diesel. We pull around home which is in the foothills and Rockies of Alberta and can be and is most times windy as heck.
2011 Chev 3500HD LTZ Duramax
2013 Sterling 32RK
Hijacker double pivot slider
hatstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #25
Gassers can get it done, but diesels are just so much more satisfying to tow with...

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #26
I agree, its not about money its about whats easier to tow with. I had a Chevy 2500HD 4x4 gasser that was great unloaded but once it was loaded it was just BLAH! I traded it back in after only 2 months and lost a lot of money in the deal but boy were the results worth it! Even as a daily driver the MPG's are better than the gasser so really price starts to offset. That and add to the fact that you can easiliy tweak them with a wide array of programmers and BOY does towing get fun.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #27
Originally Posted by Wumba View Post
We're looking to get a V-Lite 30WFKSS around the end of January. Looking for opinions on a TV. It's either going to be a Chevy 2500HD diesel or gasser. The terrain I will be driving will be hilly, as we live in E. Tennessee. We don't plan on conquering the Rockies or anything that extreme. Is diesel overkill, or a more prudent investment then gas? I will not be buying new, as this TV will be used solely for towing. I have a diesel narrowed down to 2007 or 2008 due to no environtmental stuff on it. A gasser will probabaly be a newer model as the price is much cheaper on those. Thanks!
Definitely diesel. I had a Flagstaff 831RLSS and was towing it with a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 with the 5.3L V8 and the trailering package. It did fine on flat ground, but it was working itself completely to death in any kind of hilly terrain. I traded that truck for a 2008 Ford F250 diesel and it made all the difference in the world. I now tow a fifth wheel that is much heavier than the Flagstaff and the diesel makes short work of it, even in the hills of east Tennessee. Just got back from Townsend.
Mike in Tennessee
Former 2 time FR owner
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30QB Fifth Wheel
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #28
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. A couple of things you have to ask yourself.

1) How much will I drive this vehcile
2) How far will I drive this vehicle
3) If I go gas will it have enough power to pull my TT.
4) If I go diesel will the extra cost offset #1, and #2.

For me the best option was to go gas. 98% of the time my TV is used as an everyday vehicle to get me the 1.5 miles to work and home. The other 2% is used for towing. I researched the torque curves, MPG, and durablitiy, and wheel base of the gassers. Did I want the torque of the diesel...heck yeah. Did I want to pay the price for a diesel....heck no. So I needed a gas engine that would provide the power needed to not feel "bogged down" pulling my camper.

I wanted 3/4 ton so the only gas engine options I wanted to look at were the Ford V-10, Dodge V-10, and the Chevy 8.1 496 big block. All three engines have alot of torque for gas engines. Do they have diesel, but have plenty of power to pull your average run of the mill TT.

I chose the 8.1 chevy with the Allison tranny combo. The Allison tranny was the kicker for me in choosing between the Ford V-10 and Dodge V-10.

Choose the best option for you. I would suggest to not buy a diesel to just buy a diesel. Take a look at the overall picture of the vehicle and then build it from there.
TV:2006 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 Vortec - Allison Tran
TT: 2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 300BH
11XLITE28BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #29
daydreaming about camping
I vote diesel, here is why:

1) on the used market the difference in comparably equipped trucks in diesels that are relatively new (less than 5yrs/100K miles) is not as much as new, so you saved a little there. Still more expensive, but not as big a difference.

2) since you are married to Cheby - that means you are looking at the 6.0 or 8.1. I have towed with a 6.0. I would rather tow with anything, and I mean anything else. The 8.1 will pull anything, but that thing gets some pretty miserable MPG empty. (If you go gas, get the 8.1 though.) The 6.6 is so much nicer than either pulling.

3) resale value of older diesel trucks is tremoundous. at some point you may need that. Every truck gets replaced, whether it is due to accident or retirement, nice to have it still worth something. Older gas trucks resale value is miserable.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #30
I've had my truck since it was a year old, and I will never be without a diesel pickup. Do you pay more for them up front? Sure. Is the fuel a little more expensive? It shouldn't be, but yes, it is. But you can't just say, "diesel is higher so I went with a gas truck." If you drive them both the same distance, you're going to have to fill the gasser up 1.5 times every time you fill the diesel up once. I tried explaining this to my buddy who has a Toyota Yaris and I have a VW Jetta TDI. We both have the same size tank, so it costs him $40 to fill and it costs me $55, but I go 600 miles before needing more fuel and he goes 400-450--I make out in the long run, but he can't see past the higher price at the pump. So don't be fooled-diesel will get you better mileage in the long run and will pay for itself if you keep the truck for a long time. Plus there is just no substitute for the torque of a diesel for towing. Not to mention the coolness of turbo whine!

2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote