Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
..... dmax/allison combo..... I just say well it kicks ***** and its what I want!!!
Very well said. That's my thoughts too..
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #62

I have a small class c (Sunseeker 2300), and am very glad I did not get a diesel engine. I understand large rigs might need the diesel power, but apart from that, why would anyone want to use the same fuel that industry uses? The more China expands its industry, the higher diesel costs. It makes no sense to me.
davegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegood View Post
I have a small class c (Sunseeker 2300), and am very glad I did not get a diesel engine. I understand large rigs might need the diesel power, but apart from that, why would anyone want to use the same fuel that industry uses? The more China expands its industry, the higher diesel costs. It makes no sense to me.
In most cases diesel burns cleaner than a gas engine does. If you develop more power it requires less fuel to get you there. Diesel fuel is diesel oil. It is toward the bottom of the list of the distillation process to separate it from its crude base making it cheaper to process. I am no fan of the Chinese revolution, however, the Chinese will find the cheapest way to do anything and if they are using tons of diesel more per capita, then it must be cheaper.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #64

Maintenance
A number of people comment on high diesel costs vs gas engine maintenance costs. Every one repeats their most horrific diesel repair story. Certainly more than a portion are true.

However many of these diesel stories originate during the years when all the manufacturers were strugglin with new EPA requirements. The severity and duration of these problems varied among the big 3 as well as the solutions.

Other problems were created by chipping diesels. These reprogrammed computers allow people to operate these engines outside manufacturer specs. Not all of those mods may significantly impact reliability (not in all cases, but if you are almost doubling the horsepower you got to expect you might be shaking something to near its limits).

Both before and after those years big 3 diesels performed pretty well.

What is not clear to me is whether gas engines are more reliable than diesels, especially when handling loads at their limits.

Gas engines turn significantly higher RPMs, as compared to diesels, to achieve the power needed for high loads. Of course, these newer gas engines also have new metallurgies and control hardware that improves reliability. That is why gas engines went from 50K to today's 250K plus.

Still high RPMs still probably contribute to an earlier wearout over diesels. Diesels are turning a 1/3 or less RPMs under similar loads.

One thing I don't know if the big gas engines are any more frugal on regular maintenance than diesels (fluids, filters). Most fluid change intervals and capacities are similar to diesels. Diesels are picky about regular fuel filter changes. Diesels also have dual batteries.

At lighter loads gas engines can work just fine. You will know when gas engines are well suited for towing heavy when you see gas engine 18 wheelers.

Stink?
The only time I find any kind of smell is when I refuel. I don't know about where other people sit in their diesels but my seats are not in the fuel tank!

Diesel vs Gas
At least diesel is almost a single grade. Additionally, you cannot add ethanol to diesel!

There is certainly interest by government to add another 5% ethanol to gas. There was a drop in fuel economy when the first 10% was added. That means will there be a further degradation of fuel economy (and possibly maintenance) if another 5% is added in time for November 2012?

The other thing to remember is if Keystone pipeline is not vetoed by the Administration, the oil flowing south I believe is the heavier oil. My understanding is that oil is better for diesel production over gasoline (however, those oil refineries are quite creative in extracting whatever they need from any type of oil). I would think that would bode well for diesel in just a few years (probably sooner since foreign producers will want to cestablish some sort of dominance before Canadian production gets into the American market).
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #65

Don't forget diesels have a higher resale value.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ
Not when I get done with it
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
What's relaxing about driving in a truck where you can't hear anything other than the clatter of a diesel. Admittedly the newer ones are somewhat less noisy but after refuelling the stink of diesel fuel seems to linger for days when you spill a drop on your hands or clothing.
More than happy with our gasser and it does not need an aux heater to warm you up on those cold days
The only time I notice the noise is at the drive through but I have no problems ordering my coffee with it running. On the road it's no different than any gasser I've owned.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
What's relaxing about driving in a truck where you can't hear anything other than the clatter of a diesel. Admittedly the newer ones are somewhat less noisy but after refuelling the stink of diesel fuel seems to linger for days when you spill a drop on your hands or clothing.
More than happy with our gasser and it does not need an aux heater to warm you up on those cold days
The whole thing comes down to two things.
1. What you need and
2. What you want.

If you need a power house to pull and work, then you need a diesel. If you can get by pulling with a gasser and prefer gas, then you buy a gasser. If you can get by pulling with a gasser and want a diesel then buy a diesel.

Up here in Canada we solve things really quite simply.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #69
Grape Escape

Agreed. My truck is 3 yrs old and only has 27,000 km. Diesel is nice if you need to tow those huge 5th wheels but hardly justified in our case.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
if it cost more to buy it, it should be worth more when you sell
07ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #71
Hob

From what I have been reading it seems as if the only true answer is whether you need or want a "TRUCK" (diesel) or need or want a "truck" (gas).

Hob
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07ultra View Post
if it cost more to buy it, it should be worth more when you sell
What they probably meant was that a lot of people say that they can't constitute buying a diesel because they cost more. They are also worth more when you resale them also so that theory is a wash too.
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote