Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #91
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If you got 15.5 on an all highway trip, you were either running 90, had oversized mud grip tires, 30+ MPH head wind or had a problem. That is not typical performance for a stock EB in normal conditions. Keep in mind that diesel has approximately 30% more energy (BTU) per gallon compared to gas, so you'll always get better fuel mileage when using diesel compared to gas. It is a more complex engine and has a lot of expensive to repair emissions components. Plus diesel tends to be more expensive. I drive a diesel now, but I'm realistic that it's not all pluses. I have to ask why you expected 24.6 combined MPG from a Ford that was rated at probably 18 or 19 combined?????
I have to agree with dustman. That's not typical mpg. I've had my 2013 F150 FX 4X4 ecoboost for 3 years. On my trips to St. Louis (365 miles) I get 20 mpg with me & the wife and light gear with the cruise set at 68 mph. When towing my 7500# TT it drops to 12mpg. My truck is stock, no tuner.

wz3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #92
Originally Posted by deboosted74 View Post
dustman_stx, so I didn't post this to have people argue my facts. To answer your questions, no the trucks were not lifted and were 100% stock, and I drove them for nearly 6 years, so I think I have enough road time to report. Regarding the speed limits, no I was not doing 90, and I was doing the speed limit. The interstate speed limits in my area of the country are 80MPH, and for anybody to say that you must drive below the posted speed limit to achieve good fuel economy in an ecoboost is just plain absurd. As an engineer, I am very well aware of the efficiency of diesel over gas. On a recent 800 mile round trip highway mile run in the Ram, same interstates as I ran the Ford, with a heavy head wind and many hills let alone the new engine not being broke in yet, I was still able to yield 24.3 MPG. I expected the high fuel economy in the Ford simply because people on multiple forums were reporting high numbers, but as we all know people can tend to stretch the truth on various sites. The reason I kept driving the ecoboost is because there wasn't anything better out there. Now there is, and Ford is realizing this, hence the test mule diesels on the road. I gave the Ecodiesel three model years to work the bugs out that all new power trains have, and am happy with the results. Believe me, if Ford decides to actually releas the diesel, it will be near impossible to not go back to them.
So it was 80 in hills with a 15mph head wind. FYI, that 24.3 MPG is considerably lower than most report for why mileage in the ED. So, it appears you consistently get lower MPG than the majority of users regardless of vehicle. Your driving style might just be one that isn't conducive to high fuel mileage. I wouldn't expect phenomenally better mileage after a break in on today's engines. I've never seen a change. I'll also add this- you are on a forum. Your "facts" are just hearsay and opinions to us. When they deviate from an established pattern we've seen from established forum members, we will question them. Just the way it is. If you are an engineer that understands the energy content differences, it still begs the question of "why did you expect the same mileage from a gas engine as you would a diesel?" And I also wonder why on Earth you would have believed Internet accounts of mid 20's highway at 80mph with a vehicle that has a window sticker clearly stating a highway mileage of 22ish. And that rating is NOT at 80mph. Probably more like 65 on a flat road with the cruise set.

dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #93
Originally Posted by GaryS502 View Post
Like MiCamper6, we just took delivery of a 2016 F150 Supercrew Cab XLT with max tow package and mirrors and the twin turbo V6 (Ecoboost), which is the most powerful engine Ford makes for the F150. We couldn't stomach dropping $65K for a diesel, which we think would be an overkill for pulling our trailer.

I am going to test pulling our Rockwood 2504S trailer this weekend. The truck flat out hauls...0-80 in a couple bats of your eye. We believe we will hardly know our 5,200 lb trailer is behind us...I'll post the results after the test drive.
My '14 F350 Platinum SRW with almost every option out there stickered at $70,500 and came with extras such as the Amp research ($1300) retracting running boards and tinted front side windows. I paid $57,500 for it and I couldn't see myself paying 65k for a truck either.

With that said, I'm much happier with my F350 than I ever was with my other 2 F150 ecoboosts that I've owned over the past several years.

The F150 tows well but payload capacity was an issue for us. I can now also triple tow an ATV trailer behind our fifth wheel and now have the mass and power to do it safer.

Folks who tow a fifth wheel need to weight their pins with their Fiver fully loaded with water and gear. They may find that pin weights 25-50% higher than advertised.
Skyliner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #94
I've had 2 ecoboosts and my F.I.L. still has his max tow 2013. My first was a screw 4x4 6.5' bed 4x4 with 3.31. We could get 18.5 at 75. The second was same but 3.73 gears and mileage dropped to 17.5.

My F.I.L. has had his max tow for over 100,000 miles and averages under 16 at 75. He has had it to Ford for reflashes with no help. They finally just told him it falls within accepted mpg range and nothing more they could do.

The biggest problem with MPG most have is none of the ecoboost F150 in real world got window sticker mileage unless you drive 50-55.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #95
If your going to get an EB, do it up HDT and HDP. HDT gets you up to approximately 11,000 and HDP around 3,000 and that's an EB F150. Now your ready to get a HT 5r. No TT pulls like a 5r!
D. J. Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #96
Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
The average HIGHWAY speed in the EPA testing of automobiles and trucks is 48 mph.
Bill, Maura & Rosie the rescued Boston Terrier
2016 Winnegbago Adventurer 38Q
2014 CR-V EX-L w/Nav & Blue Ox & Ready Brute Elite

NRA Endowment Life Member & FMCA #455593
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #97
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
The average HIGHWAY speed in the EPA testing of automobiles and trucks is 48 mph.
Here is how the EPA test for mileage. Sure isn't real world..
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
Sold - 2014 Cougar SGS
Sold - 2013 Jay Flight TT
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #98
I had a terrible experience with my 2012 EcoBoost. 13.6 average MPG over 28k miles. Had a number of issues with it and Ford refused to fix it. Because of some things out of my control I am now in a 2016 Platinum EB, max tow. Over 7k miles I am averaging 21 MPG with mostly highway driving and one 200 mile tow. I wouldn't have picked the Ford for my current ride but I can't complain about the '16.
2014 Surveyor SC321BHTS
2016 Ford F150 Eco
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #99
Just pulled my factory window sticker for my 2015 2WD 2.7 EB its 22 combined highway and 19 city 26 highway.

My real world numbers are: 21-22 city and 25~28 highway at 65-70 mph.
mike22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #100
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
How about a Ram 1500 Laramie, Hemi with 4 corner air suspension. Towing
9-12 mpg ( 7500 lb trailer) depending on head wind and 17-19 w/o trailer. The Hemi will not be intimidated by any hill and the ride is unbelievable.
I had 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie with 3:92 gears and it was rated at 9400lbs towing. It towed great but doesn't match the low end torque of my 2015 F150 w/ecoboost & 3:55 gears (rated at 11.4K).
I was just looking for a change after 3 GREAT rams, always liked ford and dodge. Either truck will tow great but the ecoboost seems to not rev as high or shift as much in headwinds when towing same trailer (6500b GVWR Roo). I upgraded that to a regular 8000GVWR Rockwood TT. The 2015 Ram air suspension was hard to pass on but the Ford had more for what I was looking for. Bit of a tech geek here.
Miss that Hemi rumble. Do like quiet ride though.

mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote