Old 05-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #141

On top of that, you can't get an Ecodiesel for the same price as the Ecoboost- ain't happening. The 5.7 Hemi 1500 Ram is priced competitively with the Ecoboost after accounting for typical incentives. The Ecodiesel is exempt from most of the Ram incentives I've seen AND dealers don't discount them- at least not as much. So, just because you can find a Platinum F150 EB with a higher sticker price than a Ram Ecodiesel does NOT mean you can walk off the lot with SIMILARLY equipped trucks for the same money.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
I have a 8k travel trailer. I towed it with a 2011 2500HD Silverado. While pulling out of my driveway I had to be careful because the tongue jack would drag on the sidewalk. My Ram 2500 has coils and is much firmer and the tongue jack doesn't drag. Plus it doesn't mind going to the grocery store.Read up before you speak out!
Agree. The proof is in the results over time.
The mentality that trucks should never have coil springs is the same mentality that said you can't tow with a V6-turbo.

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #143

It's still a Dodge....
Old 05-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
On top of that, you can't get an Ecodiesel for the same price as the Ecoboost- ain't happening. The 5.7 Hemi 1500 Ram is priced competitively with the Ecoboost after accounting for typical incentives. The Ecodiesel is exempt from most of the Ram incentives I've seen AND dealers don't discount them- at least not as much. So, just because you can find a Platinum F150 EB with a higher sticker price than a Ram Ecodiesel does NOT mean you can walk off the lot with SIMILARLY equipped trucks for the same money.
That might depend on the area of the country and time of year. I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 Lonestar Ecodiesel on March 30th of this year. Sticker was $44,160. I paid $33,330 plus TT&L and had them throw in the factory brake controller.

I couldn't get anywhere near that with a Ford EB.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Agree. The proof is in the results over time.
The mentality that trucks should never have coil springs is the same mentality that said you can't tow with a V6-turbo.
I agree that the Ford springs are too soft. I added air bags to get mine like I wanted. But doesn't the Ram 3500 still use leaf springs? If so, one would wonder why if the coils are just as good for hauling. And I was thinking that I read somewhere that Ram says NOT to use a truck bed camper with the 2500 because of the coil springs???
Old 05-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
That might depend on the area of the country and time of year. I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 Lonestar Ecodiesel on March 30th of this year. Sticker was $44,160. I paid $33,330 plus TT&L and had them throw in the factory brake controller.

I couldn't get anywhere near that with a Ford EB.
2WD? If not, it had to be stripped considering the ED is like a $5K option. I'm in NE Texas and have multiple dealers in my area that will sell EB's at $10-$12K off almost all year. Maybe the ED isn't selling like Ram had hoped- I know they were offering little to nothing off on them for a while.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #147

You made valid points. Anyone who doesn't want a grocery store pickup needs to look at the door and the driver door pillar stickers. Have a 2011 F150 EB 4x4 with HT, 11,200 and HD Payload 2,393 and 3.73 mileage is not great, but pulls great. There're F250 and 2500 that may tow more, but check the payload especially quad cabs - tongue weight + payload usually over payload (got to add the package).
Old 05-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
2WD? If not, it had to be stripped considering the ED is like a $5K option. I'm in NE Texas and have multiple dealers in my area that will sell EB's at $10-$12K off almost all year. Maybe the ED isn't selling like Ram had hoped- I know they were offering little to nothing off on them for a while.
2WD but not stripped. I don't need 4WD because this truck will never see anything but freeway towing and I wanted one with an actual center console and front buckets, not the bench seat with fold down console.

Got that plus:

Lonestar Edition Package
Uconnect 8.4
Bed Lighting
20" Chrome wheels
Class IV hitch
Dual Exhaust
Power 10-way driver seat
Rear 60/40 folding seat
Nav
7 inch Multi-view cluster
Power Heated Mirrors with Power Fold-Away
Auto Dimming Exterior Mirror
Exterior Courtesy Lamps
Power Sliding Rear Window
Parkview with Backup Camera
Front Parking Sensors
115 volt auxiliary power outlet
Remote Start
Trailer Tow Package with 7 Pin and Integrated Brake Controller
Media Hub
And a lot more......

In fact, what I paid for this ED was within $100 of what I paid last summer for a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited and this truck has WAY more options than the Jeep has.

I liked the Ford EB's but in the end they were priced higher around here. And I'm not going to win any drag races against them in the ED but I'm getting 28-32mpg on the interstate empty and 17-19mpg when towing. Nobody I know with an EB is coming close to that. The EB's will tow more and have a bit higher payload but I'm no where near the limit on either.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboosted74 View Post
Hey folks, I am new to the forum but have had some good experience on this topic. So, I have owned two F150 screws with max trailer tow and 3.5 ecoboost. The first was a 2011, followed by a 2013. Both had max trailer tow, and only difference was bed length. The frustration I had and never was able to overcome was the relatively poor fuel economy when compared to the posted window sticker numbers. Never in 6 years of owning these two trucks did they ever meet or exceed the posted numbers, and I was constantly told by the dealer that this is just the way these trucks are. Poor answer in my opinion. I pulled a 6,500lb boat most summers, and nothing in the winter besides normal commute to work. There was multiple times with longer road trips ranging up to 1500 miles round trip. Last November on a 1500 mile round trip, all highway miles trip, the truck never got better than 15.5 mpg, and the only weight in the truck was myself and my two pre-teen boys. Nearly nothing. This was normal mileage for this truck, which is very poor. I was fed up with the mileage I was getting, and since Ford refused to get off the ecoboost is best and only attitude, I switched over to a 2016 Ram Ecodiesel. The Ram is the same config as the F150's were, crew cab with 6.5 bed. It has a 3.92 rear end, so is lower than the F150's were. I am averaging combined city highway driving on a brand new not broken in motor, 24.6 mpg. This is the kind of fuel economy I expected from the Ford, but never got it. Hands down, the Ram, so far, is a much nicer truck, and has far superior and better than posted mpg numbers. I have not had a chance to tow with it yet, but expect it to be better than the Ecoboost ever was. Yes, I understand that the Ram is not the rocket ship off the line, but if you are buying a truck to drag race, you are buying the wrong vehicle. The Ram has the same amount of torque as the Ford, 420lb/f, and it pulls like a freight train, and does it at low RPM's. The Ram is and will remain the undisputed MPG leader, until Fors decides to release the F150 with a diesel, which anybody that watches the Internet and forums will know is on the roads as a test mule. Time will tell if it ever gets released. Even with the aluminum body and the new 10 speed tranny for 2017 certain models, Ford will still not be able to match the fuel economy of the Ram. It will take a diesel to do that. Let me be clear here, I have been a LIFE long Ford truck owner, and have owned 6 Ford trucks in the last 10 years, ranging from a half ton V8 to a 3/4 ton V10 and 3/4 ton 6.0 Powerstroke. This is my first Ram, and thus far I am extremely impressed with the overall quality and the fuel economy. Sorry for the long winded post, but needed to tell the entire history.
A very good, honest post. I would say that if the Ecodiesel gives you the amount of towing you need (which is less than the max attainable with Ford), and you are willing to drive it long enough to recover the higher initial cost with the fuel savings, then the Ram is a good choice. From what I understand, the diesel engine premium on the Ram is 3-4 times that of the Ecoboost (depending on 2.7 or 3.5). So you will need to keep it a long time if fuel economy is what drove you away. But that math is easy to do.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post

In fact, what I paid for this ED was within $100 of what I paid last summer for a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited and this truck has WAY more options than the Jeep has.

I liked the Ford EB's but in the end they were priced higher around here. And I'm not going to win any drag races against them in the ED but I'm getting 28-32mpg on the interstate empty and 17-19mpg when towing. Nobody I know with an EB is coming close to that. The EB's will tow more and have a bit higher payload but I'm no where near the limit on either.
Man, I can't believe the prices that the Jeeps are going for. They've got to be making a killing on those because there is NOTHING fancy about them. Everything about them screams "I was quick and easy to build!" And you're right about the 3.5EB not even coming close to that mileage. I think with the 2.7EB you could get in the 25-27 Hwy range. That 2.7 would probably be slightly cheaper than the ED at that mileage considering the slightly higher maintenance of the diesel IF the price of diesel is at it's past 10 year norm of being around 10% higher. At today's gas/diesel prices it would probably be a wash. Neither of the EB's will touch the ED on towing mileage- the efficiency of the diesel really shines there. But, at the same time, I think either EB will outperform the ED in most situations. It's all about priorities, right.

Tags
ecoboost