Old 05-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Man, I can't believe the prices that the Jeeps are going for. They've got to be making a killing on those because there is NOTHING fancy about them. Everything about them screams "I was quick and easy to build!"
Tell me about it. It's been back 4 times already because the Freedom Panels leak. Not to mention I've probably spent another $5K in add-ons because, well, you can. There are so many cool aftermarket items for a Jeep it's unreal.

I'm going to be testing the economics of the diesel over time. 10.5 quarts of oil at change time (Hi spec synthetic) plus filter is going to run me around $80 if I do it myself. That might be close to what most people pay for a 5 quart synthetic change at a Jiffy Lube, so I'll probably be okay there. Every 10,000 miles that's 8 tenths of a cent per mile.

Then there's DEF - around 8 gallons every 10,000 miles. That's another $32 or 3 tenths of a cents per mile. So overall not too bad in the grand scheme of things consider the MPG that I'm getting and I paid less for this pickup than a comparable gas Ford or Silverado.

5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty in case any of those finicky diesel components fail (injectors, EGR system, etc). After that, oh yeah - diesel maintenance can be very expensive but that's not exclusive to this ED. I don't think I'll be keeping it that long anyway so right now I'm not too concerned about it but if I decide to keep it forever than I'll probably get a GDE tune for it with a full delete. Just shutting down the EGR does wonders for a diesel intake.

Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #152

sorry, all, I was quoting from page 5-6, not realizing there were 15-16 pages already.
HA!!!

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
Tell me about it. It's been back 4 times already because the Freedom Panels leak. Not to mention I've probably spent another $5K in add-ons because, well, you can. There are so many cool aftermarket items for a Jeep it's unreal.

I'm going to be testing the economics of the diesel over time. 10.5 quarts of oil at change time (Hi spec synthetic) plus filter is going to run me around $80 if I do it myself. That might be close to what most people pay for a 5 quart synthetic change at a Jiffy Lube, so I'll probably be okay there. Every 10,000 miles that's 8 tenths of a cent per mile.

Then there's DEF - around 8 gallons every 10,000 miles. That's another $32 or 3 tenths of a cents per mile. So overall not too bad in the grand scheme of things consider the MPG that I'm getting and I paid less for this pickup than a comparable gas Ford or Silverado.

5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty in case any of those finicky diesel components fail (injectors, EGR system, etc). After that, oh yeah - diesel maintenance can be very expensive but that's not exclusive to this ED. I don't think I'll be keeping it that long anyway so right now I'm not too concerned about it but if I decide to keep it forever than I'll probably get a GDE tune for it with a full delete. Just shutting down the EGR does wonders for a diesel intake.
No denying that those Jeeps do look awesome when decked out, though!!!
Old 05-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie Dad View Post
It's still a Dodge....
My 2010 Dodge spent less time in the service department in 5 years than my 2015 F150.

Rattling moonroof - still rattling
Cooled seats - were heating back but now just OK, not great like the ones in my last Dodge
Smoking trailer brake controller - OK dealership jumped on that one and got me in that day. Fixed, but really - smoke coming from my dash of my 60+K truck?

Sorry Ford is not the best, might be equal. My Dodge had all of the above and worked flawlessly.

I like my ecoboost but just want to get it out there that Dodge has a great product.

I'd be seriously thinking of switching back if looking today. The ecoboost is running great and tows great. Just a little better than my 5.7 hemi with 3:92 gears. Same mileage towing 7500lb TT as the Dodge but the ecoboost gets much better mileage when NOT towing.

The Dodge 1500 diesel is a apples to oranges comparison to the ecoboost. The Hemi tows more than the diesel in those 1500s.
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
My 2010 Dodge spent less time in the service department in 5 years than my 2015 F150.

Rattling moonroof - still rattling
Cooled seats - were heating back but now just OK, not great like the ones in my last Dodge
Smoking trailer brake controller - OK dealership jumped on that one and got me in that day. Fixed, but really - smoke coming from my dash of my 60+K truck?

Sorry Ford is not the best, might be equal. My Dodge had all of the above and worked flawlessly.

I like my ecoboost but just want to get it out there that Dodge has a great product.

I'd be seriously thinking of switching back if looking today. The ecoboost is running great and tows great. Just a little better than my 5.7 hemi with 3:92 gears. Same mileage towing 7500lb TT as the Dodge but the ecoboost gets much better mileage when NOT towing.

The Dodge 1500 diesel is a apples to oranges comparison to the ecoboost. The Hemi tows more than the diesel in those 1500s.
There are flawed vehicles in every brand. Some family friends were just relaying to me recently how they had to ditch their 2013 Dodge 3500 Cummins because of the INSANE number of recalls they'd gotten. It was a ridiculous number that I can't recall at the moment, but more than a dozen in 2 years time.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:27 PM   #156

You listed everything but the max tow and payload (door and post stickers)??
Old 05-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Gas mileage discussions should be saved for what you get when NOT towing. That's why if you only tow occasionally, but need big towing ability, the 1/2-ton EB is a good fit. You can handle a load that the EcoDiesel may not be able to handle, but when you aren't towing, you'll get better mileage than a gas V8.
But if you tow a higher percentage, you lose the EB advantage, and might as well go to a 3/4 or 1-ton diesel.
I agree. Anecdotally and based on my own vehicle ownership towing mileage always seems to settle in around 10 mpg give or take. Since I drive without a trailer 90% of the time I base a vehicles mileage on its non-towing mileage. I can't speak for the 3.5L ecoboost but the 2.7L in my F-150 is averaging 22 mpg in combined suburban and local highway driving. The one long highway trip we took pushed that up to around 24 mpg with roughly half the gas used being local driving before we left (the 36 gallon tank is nice ). My guess is I should be able to see 25 or 26 mpg with purely highway driving. Far better that the 20 mpg from our old 2001 Explorer or my 2001 B3000.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #158

I have a 2011 F150 EB XLT scab with tow package and 3.55 rear. I drive it 60 miles rt every day to work and get 21 to 24mpg. When I tow our Rockwood 2703ws I get 9 to 12mpg.

I am happy with that.

Marty
Old 05-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Gas mileage discussions should be saved for what you get when NOT towing. That's why if you only tow occasionally, but need big towing ability, the 1/2-ton EB is a good fit. You can handle a load that the EcoDiesel may not be able to handle, but when you aren't towing, you'll get better mileage than a gas V8.
But if you tow a higher percentage, you lose the EB advantage, and might as well go to a 3/4 or 1-ton diesel.
Nailed it in my humble opinion.

Marty
Old 05-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #160

On our second day out with this under rated 2016 Ram 1500. So far pulling like a horse, running like a top, sucking up EB and PSD Fords and spitting out bolts. Pulled Soldier Summit out of Price Utah today and left an older Ram 3500 in the rear view mirrors. When we hit I-80 at Crescent Junction to Green River with their 80mph speed limit I just set the cruise at 72 and let her stroll for the 20+ miles to where we got on NB 191/6 again.

Tags
ecoboost