Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
So you would recommend against anyone getting a diesel because of the turbo(s)? While the 5.3 is a good motor, it won't hold a candle to the EB when hauling a heavy load. And I see no reason to worry about the engine running lean while under boost. You've had some sort of malfunction or major problem if this occurs and you'd probably be having a bad day with a naturally aspirated engine in that case anyway. You'll likely see all of the manufacturers shifting toward smaller displacement turbocharged engines as CAFE standards get tighter. At that point all of the "issues" that GM and Fiat owners have had will all of a sudden no longer be of concern.

I have to agree. The ecoboost will pull the socks off any V8 gasser. I had one drove it hard. Never had an issue with turbos exploding. I have a Superduty now, different class and is a better TV. Ecoboost will do what you need just fine.

2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
A stock F-150 is closer to 4100 lbs, I buy a lot of them for work.
A dully to an F150 can not be compared. They are built for different purposes. I towed a 11,000 FW with my 7,900 F-250 without issue. The F-250 was spected with max towing in mind.
My aluminum f150 weights 5100 lbs.

2015 F150 Sport 4x4 3.5 Eco Boost
4B11T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #13

Use high quality lubricants and filters and do not exceed recommended oil change intervals. The EB's need clean oil that can withstand heat.
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #14

I have a 2013 F-150 4x4 Eco Boost. I get 16-17 mpg on the highway empty. When I pull my 12 ft flatbed single axle trailer with my XP4 1000 RZR on it down to Mexico (no hills), I get between 9-10 mpg. I also pull it to the mountains north of Phoenix. You have to keep your foot in it but it will pull the hills. No problem towing but the mileage is terrible. No way would I pull a larger trailer with a half ton
Old 03-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #15

Quote:
I had a 2013 F150 EB for 2 years and loved it. Pulled a TT ~2200lbs heavier than yours with no issues. Never had one problem with it. You'll absolutely love the power and the way it pulls. Be realistic about fuel mileage, though. It's not really V8 performance with V6 mileage. It's better than V10 performance with V8 mileage. I felt mine pulled more effortlessly than the 97 F250 7.3PSD I had- and that was a great truck. Just remember that it takes fuel to make power, so when your dragging that 272RLS up a mountain and not losing speed keep in mind that you will be using some fuel. When towing, you're going to get very similar mileage to most gas powered trucks out there, but you won't be revving to 4K and dropping gears like crazy on inclines. If you are the type to want to stay under the GVWR and not be "overloaded", I suggest you not buy the most loaded version you can find. A MaxTow will offer a good jump in payload and give you the tow mirrors as well- I highly recommend it. I will also add that- unless Ford weakened components on the new ones, I wouldn't hesitate to load to a GVWR of 7700 with a new MaxTow- regardless of what the sticker says. Everything is supposed to be stronger or better, so the reduction of the GVWR with the 2015 model is bull. My guess is they didn't want it to compete with the payload of the F250 and wanted to be able to increase that over the years to stay ahead of GM and Fiat without having to do any design changes.
X2 Iam on my second Eco boost A 2015 XLT MaxTow Its mostly a daily driver and it gets between 19 to 20 mpg and 10 to 11 towing. Never had a problem with it at all. plenty of torque and horse power. You wont be disappointed.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #16

Have you considered the Ram 1500 with the diesel?
Old 03-02-2016, 05:45 AM   #17

Quote:
So you would recommend against anyone getting a diesel because of the turbo(s)? While the 5.3 is a good motor, it won't hold a candle to the EB when hauling a heavy load. And I see no reason to worry about the engine running lean while under boost. You've had some sort of malfunction or major problem if this occurs and you'd probably be having a bad day with a naturally aspirated engine in that case anyway. You'll likely see all of the manufacturers shifting toward smaller displacement turbocharged engines as CAFE standards get tighter. At that point all of the "issues" that GM and Fiat owners have had will all of a sudden no longer be of concern.
Unless you need a diesel I would recommend going with a gasser. Running lean with a blown engine is instant disaster. IMO I don't see the need to complicate things with a turbo despite what the future might bring. Also, if you like Ford trucks and turbos more power to you. Again, I have owned both brands and personally I prefer Chevy trucks.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #18

Had the 3.5 Eco Boost with 3:55 gears and super crew, in my personal pick up and towed at 7,000 lb gross camper and never had any problems in the hills or flats. Mileage towing was in the 7 - 9 mile range. Not towing was 14 - 19 range. Hard not to hit the skinny pedal and go. Have a 5.0 with 3:55 gears and a super cab in the company truck, and tow a 7,000 lb gross cargo trailer, also a Forest River product. The 5.0 tows it but nothing like the 3.5 Eco Boost. In the hills it will be in 4 -5 gear most of the time, sometimes in 3rd. Fuel mileage towing has been in the 5 - 9 range and normal driving has been 15 -19 range.

Both trucks had caps on them and both ran with 500 to 750 lbs in the beds. Miss the 3.5 for towing.

The two other trucks I had for work were Chevys, one was a 4.8 V-8 and the latest was a 5.3 V-8. The 4.8 only had to tow a 3,000 gross trailer and worked hard to do it, even though it was rated for 6,000 lbs. The truck with the 5.3 towed the 7,000 lb trailer once and was swapped out for the 5.0 Ford. Lucky for me one of the co-workers had his Dodge fail it emission test and work did not want to spend the money to fix it.

Both the Ford and the Chevy had tow rated of with-in 300 lbs of each other. The big thing I liked the most was the Ford had disc brakes all the way around. The Chevy had drum rear brakes. The Ford also seemed to have a firmer rear spring pack then the Chevy. This gave a better tow with less bounce will towing. Both were used with a load control system. The Chevy never seemed to hit high gear except down hill and also seemed to get the same fuel mileage as the Ford.

I get a newer company vehicle every two years or so due to the mileage we put on them 50,000 to 70,000 per year. Not sure what the next one will be but I am at 46,000 already and that is a 7 months so far.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #19

Awesome discussion...I really appreciate all your input guys...I'm really excited about this upgrade and looking forward to it. Any other tips, please keep it going!
Thanks
Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #20

How about Nissan with the baby Cummins?

Introducing the 2016 Titan XD | Nissan USA

1988 Harley Softail Custom "The Fireman"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecoboost