Old 03-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #41

I have a 2012 EB FX4. Handles my 7000 lb. trailer with no problems. Someday I hope they will put an EB in a 1 ton. I'm all in for that. Great motor.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyCamper View Post
Actually have done the research and comparison with the RAM and the EB still comes ahead in towing torque and fuel efficiency.
The Tundra was out on the first comparison LOL (brother hated that comparison, he is a Tundra fan)
And Chevy could not match neither....
Thanks
What research was that ? Not consumer Reports I hope. There is no way the EB can match the Ram 1500 eco-diesel towing milage. My son in law pulls a 27 ft camper with his eco-diesel and still gets 20 mpg. When not towing he is in the 28 to 30 mpg range and it has plenty of torque. For the amount of money that you would pay for the F150 EB you can get the 1500 Ram Eco-diesel. I would take the Ram anyday better looking truck and a better ride and interior.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyCamper View Post
LMAO...no new trailer for now...just upgraded to the Heritage Glen last year (our 5th), and after this truck upgrade, it will be a while for the next one!! LOL...
Famous.Last.Words.

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #44

Ram 1500 eco-diesel

Ram 1500 eco-diesel Max towing capacity 7950# According to web sight
Max payload 1510# Sticker on door will be lower then this !

My F150 3.5 Eco Boost Towing capacity 10700 # Payload 2120- This truck does not have Max tow package
Old 03-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #45
bld

ask a ford mechanic how many eb they have had apart
Old 03-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld View Post
ask a ford mechanic how many eb they have had apart
Buddies dad is a Ford mechanic. I will say he has mentioned several times that he has worked on major issues with the EB in particular. I have also read on the EB forums that for a while they were having some major timing chain issues. But that goes hand and hand with any brand. They will all have there issues...sounds like most that have posted here have had positive experiences...waiting to see if anyone posts stating the opposite.

Every brand offers something that everyone likes better than the other...but if you really want to tow...to seems like Ford and GM is the place to go...

2016 Days Booked - 31!
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #47

Had a 2013 F150 Eco Boost with max tow towing a 9200lb trailer and had to wait for the others with us in the hills when on cruise as they lost power. Lots of power and mpg around 11 to 12 towing so not too bad. Held speed at 60 as it seemed to get the best mileage there. Bought a bigger trailer so moved up to a F250 with a diesel but had no problems with the 3.5 for daily or towing. I have heard the Dodge with the diesel works really well as long as it has the air suspension as without it it really sags in theback en.
2009 Cedar Creek 34RLSA
Retired but still working sometimes to pay for toys
jdp105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by No more shoveling View Post
What research was that ? Not consumer Reports I hope. There is no way the EB can match the Ram 1500 eco-diesel towing milage. My son in law pulls a 27 ft camper with his eco-diesel and still gets 20 mpg. When not towing he is in the 28 to 30 mpg range and it has plenty of torque. For the amount of money that you would pay for the F150 EB you can get the 1500 Ram Eco-diesel. I would take the Ram anyday better looking truck and a better ride and interior.

I don't buy 20 with a 27ft. camper, but I do agree that there is no way an EB is going to get mileage as good as the ED. The EB has a significant power advantage, too, though. And better looking is always subjective. I looked at the Ram's and my wife about had a fit because they were "so ugly".
Old 03-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #49

I've got a 12 F150 Lariat screw with 6.5ft bed and 3.55 gears. I'm pulling a low profile tracer air 250 (28ft bumper to tongue), gvwr of 6100 pounds. I pull mostly in the mountains of Idaho, and am not happy with it. On flat ground, no problem. In the hills, the truck really struggles since it doesn't make its peak torque till 4k+ rpm. That means 2nd gear at 4k rpm climbing some steap Hills with my foot deep in the pedal to go 40mph.

I have the truck tuned which helped a little but wish I could have an ecoboost with 3.73 gears under the hood of the same truck. Too expensive to upgrade unless I downgrade to an XLT, and even still mine is nearly paid off so for now I'll just go slow and Rev to the moon. If I get to do it again, I'll be in a 3/4 gas or ecoboost with tow gears. I even paid quite a bit extra for the "ultra lite" tracer figuring it was cheaper than getting a new truck. I should have bought a stick and tin trailer, saved 8 grand and upgraded my truck instead. Live and learn, then enjoy camping!
Old 03-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolzzy View Post
I've got a 12 F150 Lariat screw with 6.5ft bed and 3.55 gears. I'm pulling a low profile tracer air 250 (28ft bumper to tongue), gvwr of 6100 pounds. I pull mostly in the mountains of Idaho, and am not happy with it. On flat ground, no problem. In the hills, the truck really struggles since it doesn't make its peak torque till 4k+ rpm. That means 2nd gear at 4k rpm climbing some steap Hills with my foot deep in the pedal to go 40mph.

I have the truck tuned which helped a little but wish I could have an ecoboost with 3.73 gears under the hood of the same truck. Too expensive to upgrade unless I downgrade to an XLT, and even still mine is nearly paid off so for now I'll just go slow and Rev to the moon. If I get to do it again, I'll be in a 3/4 gas or ecoboost with tow gears. I even paid quite a bit extra for the "ultra lite" tracer figuring it was cheaper than getting a new truck. I should have bought a stick and tin trailer, saved 8 grand and upgraded my truck instead. Live and learn, then enjoy camping!
Keep in mind that really low gears aren't as critical for the EB since it produces torque at a much lower RPM. When I had my 2013, I argued that there was no need for 3.73 or 4.10 gears for the highest tow ratings with the EB. I thought that 3.55's were sufficient for towing and offered a little better mileage. Ford has come to the same conclusion and now shows 3.55's to have pretty much the same tow capacity as the 3.73's.

Tags
ecoboost