Old 03-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #1

Cool To Ecoboost or Not Ecoboost? That's the Question.

Guys I'm about to get a new truck and would like to hear opinions and experiences. I'm inclined into purchase the new F-150 (XLT or Lariat) with 3.5L Ecoboost engine due to it towing capability and gas saving. I'm currently have a 2015 Heritage Glen 272RLS with aprox. weight of 7300LBS.
Let me have it....
Thanks

Old 03-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #2

Depends on a lot of things. If you are full timing at doing more towing than non towing some say go with bigger truck. I'm partial to Fords and the F150. Since I don't have the money for new ones I have not researched. I like the numbers on the new Fords. If I had the money I would look probably get one. I use to have a mustang with a turbo in it. It had some horsepower but the turbo went out on it a few times. I'm sure the are better now.

If your going to drive it more non towing than towing F150 is good. If towing a lot over 50% go with bigger truck.

If you know you won't go bigger or heavier on trailer f150. If you may in future go bigger on trailer get bigger. Those new prices are at the price range I bought my first house for.

Good luck with your decision.

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyCamper View Post
Guys I'm about to get a new truck and would like to hear opinions and experiences. I'm inclined into purchase the new F-150 (XLT or Lariat) with 3.5L Ecoboost engine due to it towing capability and gas saving. I'm currently have a 2015 Heritage Glen 272RLS with aprox. weight of 7300LBS.
Let me have it....
Thanks
I had a 2013 F150 EB for 2 years and loved it. Pulled a TT ~2200lbs heavier than yours with no issues. Never had one problem with it. You'll absolutely love the power and the way it pulls. Be realistic about fuel mileage, though. It's not really V8 performance with V6 mileage. It's better than V10 performance with V8 mileage. I felt mine pulled more effortlessly than the 97 F250 7.3PSD I had- and that was a great truck. Just remember that it takes fuel to make power, so when your dragging that 272RLS up a mountain and not losing speed keep in mind that you will be using some fuel. When towing, you're going to get very similar mileage to most gas powered trucks out there, but you won't be revving to 4K and dropping gears like crazy on inclines. If you are the type to want to stay under the GVWR and not be "overloaded", I suggest you not buy the most loaded version you can find. A MaxTow will offer a good jump in payload and give you the tow mirrors as well- I highly recommend it. I will also add that- unless Ford weakened components on the new ones, I wouldn't hesitate to load to a GVWR of 7700 with a new MaxTow- regardless of what the sticker says. Everything is supposed to be stronger or better, so the reduction of the GVWR with the 2015 model is bull. My guess is they didn't want it to compete with the payload of the F250 and wanted to be able to increase that over the years to stay ahead of GM and Fiat without having to do any design changes.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #4

Plenty of drive train. The camper will outweigh the truck by 3,000lb. A 3/4 ton will feel a little more stable.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #5

I have owned several Ford and Chevy trucks. The turbo setup has two concerns. One is the cost to replace the turbo and the other is if you ever run lean under boost the engine is toast. I recommend, unless you are committed to Ford, looking at a Chevy. They have a new 8 speed trans that is getting great reviews. The 5.3 V8 has been around awhile and is considered a good motor. I bought a new Silverado last year and can't believe how nice it rides. My last Chevy was a 2001 and there is no comparison.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Plenty of drive train. The camper will outweigh the truck by 3,000lb. A 3/4 ton will feel a little more stable.

The truck should weigh around 6000 with the camper at 7300, a 1300 pound diff. Considering people haul 15K+ fifth wheels all over the country with 1 ton duallies that weigh around 12K, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
I have owned several Ford and Chevy trucks. The turbo setup has two concerns. One is the cost to replace the turbo and the other is if you ever run lean under boost the engine is toast. I recommend, unless you are committed to Ford, looking at a Chevy. They have a new 8 speed trans that is getting great reviews. The 5.3 V8 has been around awhile and is considered a good motor. I bought a new Silverado last year and can't believe how nice it rides. My last Chevy was a 2001 and there is no comparison.
So you would recommend against anyone getting a diesel because of the turbo(s)? While the 5.3 is a good motor, it won't hold a candle to the EB when hauling a heavy load. And I see no reason to worry about the engine running lean while under boost. You've had some sort of malfunction or major problem if this occurs and you'd probably be having a bad day with a naturally aspirated engine in that case anyway. You'll likely see all of the manufacturers shifting toward smaller displacement turbocharged engines as CAFE standards get tighter. At that point all of the "issues" that GM and Fiat owners have had will all of a sudden no longer be of concern.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #8

Although I haven't had a chance to tow with it yet as we just took delivery a little over a week ago I can tell you we are VERY impressed with the performance of our F 150 SuperCrew 3.5 EB. All kinds of power and rides exceptionally well. Many good reviews on a F 150 EB forum also.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #9

I have had no issues with my EB, and like both the power and ride of my truck while pulling the TT in my signature. All EBs are not made for towing, so check the gearing and CCC listed on drivers door frame.

Gas mileage for me here in the flats running 63/65 mph has been between 9.5 and 10.5 mpg while towing. While not towing the truck is very smooth, quite and powerful, and you will need to watch your speed while cruising down the highway.

Good luck on your search.
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
The truck should weigh around 6000 with the camper at 7300, a 1300 pound diff. Considering people haul 15K+ fifth wheels all over the country with 1 ton duallies that weigh around 12K, it shouldn't be a problem.
A stock F-150 is closer to 4100 lbs, I buy a lot of them for work.
A dully to an F150 can not be compared. They are built for different purposes. I towed a 11,000 FW with my 7,900 F-250 without issue. The F-250 was spected with max towing in mind.

Tags
ecoboost