Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #1

To fix or trade. A story of a bum deal

So 2 years ago I decided to get a big truck. I've always had half tons but decided a upgrade was needed. Being cheap and a mechanic I decided to look for an older used truck. I drove no less than 30 trucks before I found my shinning pride which is a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab short box. I love this truck. I only put 4 thousand miles in a truck a year. I use it mainly for pulling boats for my business. Last June the bummer started.
I backed up to a boat and hooked up the trailer jumped back in and started it. Nothing good was happening. Missing and smoking to beat the band.
Well I had it towed up to the auto shop I work at part time and found the previous owner stripped out a plug and put in a sleeve. Which was the wrong sleeve. Bottomed the plug out in the cylinder breaking the plug.
It took 8000 miles before catastrophic failure.
There is a moral to the story: if you don't know what your doing leave it to the professionals. 8000 dollars later and she's back running. When a proper mechanic wouldn't have done it this way.

Life is a highway!!!!!
jimdd810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #2

You didn't mention what engine it has...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #3

5.7 hemi. New engine is in its way.

Life is a highway!!!!!
jimdd810 is offline   Reply With Quote