Old 03-14-2018, 09:20 PM   #1

To flush tranny or not to flush tranny.

I have a little over 100000 miles on my 2013 Silverado. I'm debating on if I should have the transmission flushed or drop pan and replace filter and fluid or just leave it alone. Thanks in advance.

Locky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #2

Have you done any other maintenance on it? Have you overheated it? Hows the fluid look?

If the fluid looks red and doesn't smell burnt, I'd go ahead and replace it.

If it looks or smells burnt, I'd be concerned you might be pushing it to an even earlier grave by changing the fluid. Often, if you have a lot of clutch material suspended in the fluid, it helps with the clutches continuing to work. Once you flush that out, you're SOL.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #3

Most problems with transmission happen after you drop the pan and replace the filter.
Its good to do but just remember, 1gr of sand/dirt can make your valves stick in the valve body.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
Have you done any other maintenance on it? Have you overheated it? Hows the fluid look?

If the fluid looks red and doesn't smell burnt, I'd go ahead and replace it.

If it looks or smells burnt, I'd be concerned you might be pushing it to an even earlier grave by changing the fluid. Often, if you have a lot of clutch material suspended in the fluid, it helps with the clutches continuing to work. Once you flush that out, you're SOL.
I will check the fluid tomorrow and see what it looks like. Last year while towing I had it get to about 210 degrees and I when I got home you could smell it was hot. I am going to be replacing the OEM trns cooler with a B&M or Hayden transmission cooler.
Locky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:00 PM   #5

I build GM trans and did so for a dealer for years. If it dies because you serviced it, it was almost done anyway. I haven't done anything with the new 6 or 8 speeds but transmissions are transmissions. In my 07 I flushed it at 50k. At 100k, dropped the pan and changed the filter. Then I flushed it. You get all the fluid swapped with a flush. I don't use any of the cleaning or conditioning additives. I like dex VI, or valvoline max life.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #6

Heat kills. Drop the pan. Change the second gear servo to a corvette servo. The 4th gear to a Sonnex billet servo. Trans go shift kit. It's about time for a rebuild. 4l60e is good for around 130k-150k ish. Put a precision torque convertor in it too. If you tow, it's insurance. Better look at the rear axle too. Carrier bearing and axle bearings. fill it with good synthetic like BG and Turbomaxx.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #7

To flush tranny or not to flush tranny.

I just traded in my 2000 F350 7.3 with 342,000 and original transmission. I flushed my tranny by disconnecting the rear tranny line and attaching a clear hose and put other end into a 5 gallon can.

I would drain my pan and fill with fluid. Turn on truck and shift thru gears until I saw bubbles in clear line then turn-off truck, fill pan with 7 more quarts and start process over two times. Cap off with another quart or two.

I had an maganafine external filter, which I replaced every 25k, so would only drop my pan and replace tranny filter every 75k.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdeejr View Post
I just traded in my 2000 F350 7.3 with 342,000 and original transmission. I flushed my tranny by disconnecting the rear tranny line and attaching a clear hose and put other end into a 5 gallon can.

I would drain my pan and fill with fluid. Turn on truck and shift thru gears until I saw bubbles in clear line then turn-off truck, fill pan with 7 more quarts and start process over two times. Cap off with another quart or two.

I had an maganafine external filter, which I replaced every 25k, so would only drop my pan and replace tranny filter every 75k.

That's rare. 342K on a 4r100. Did you tow with it? My 01 Excursion 7.3 has 253K on it and the 4r100 has been rebuilt twice. Once when it was my uncle owned it at around 55K because of the known issue with the bad sprag installed in 01 from ford, and when I bought it from him I had the trans built at 235K with new everything extra clutch pack and billet converter and trans go shift kit. I expect it to last another 200k. Had the same issue on my 01 Ford lightning at 56k lost 2nd and 3rd gear. The 4r100 can be redeemed with the right parts.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 AM   #9
Site Team

This is like asking "what's the best beer" or "what's your favorite sports team".

Lots of opinions.

My opinion is DO NOT HAVE IT FLUSHED unless you first pull the pan and clean it and change the filter.
If it doesn't smell burnt just drive it.
If you stir up that stuff in the bottom of the pan you will clog something and be out of luck.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-28
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
I will check the fluid tomorrow and see what it looks like. Last year while towing I had it get to about 210 degrees and I when I got home you could smell it was hot. I am going to be replacing the OEM trns cooler with a B&M or Hayden transmission cooler.
210 is not good. My trans rarely hits 180 towing a 7500lb trailer uphill with a headwind in my excursion. Like I said in my previous post, rebuild it and put a derale trans pan on it too. My trans temp dropped 15 degrees at least with this pan. I've got a probe in my pan and the fluid is 20 or so degrees cooler than the fluid temp at the valve body the computer reads.

Tags
flush