Old 03-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
As capucine noted, it does depend where you are pulling.
As long as you stay out of the mountains, you should be fine.
And don't fill your fresh water tank right full and load everything and the kitchen sink into the camper. Common sense goes a long way.
As always, donn seems to have been a bit too quick to shoot people down, so don't be swayed by those who critisize everything.
And don't get carried away with speed, as that is the biggest cause of issue when towing near the max.
Be safe!

crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by jpc4444 View Post
First off I would like to say thank you to all of for your responses.

Here is some additional information that I have gathered on the Accu weight of the trailer as it was deliverd to the dealer (this includes the 2 empty 20lbs propane tanks and all of the options this was a show room model)

Here are my numbers.

Chevy silverado Crew Cab V8 4.8L short box 4X4
GVWR 7000Lbs
GAWRRR 3950Lbs
GCWR 11,000Lbs

Rockwood Roo 23RS
4250Lbs Accu Weight (all options included)
GVWR 6,145Lbs

Thanks everyone
You're fine although it will be a noticeable pull in hilly areas.

There are really three TV ratings you need to pay attention to: GCWR, GVWR, and axle ratings. Here are some figures for you. Note that I am guessing on the weight of the truck and family but its still useful for illustration purposes. You can alter the figures with your actual situation.

The Roo 23RS you are looking at will hold most of your cargo. Assuming the 750lbs you mentioned for that plus another 100lbs estimated for batteries and propane, that becomes 5,100lbs TT weight. This is under the TV's towing cap of 5,500lbs. It's OK to go up to the cap, but be careful that you don't load this trailer to it's maximum of 6,145lbs.

Add an estimated 5,300lbs for the TV plus an estimated 350lbs for your family of three to the TT weight of 5,100lbs and the total becomes 10,750lbs; which is under the TV's GCWR of 11,000lbs.

If the Roo weighs 5,100lbs loaded, the tongue (TW) will be an estimated 650-750lbs. Your truck probably has a cargo cap of around 1,700lbs, which leaves you with plenty of cargo for the TW, your family and cargo in the bed of the truck before you go over the TV's GVWR.

There is not enough information to look at the axles, but I wouldn't worry about it. A good WD hitch like the Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam will spread out the weight effectively so that you are not overweight your TV's axle ratings.

Hope this helps.

DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
Scott, You are making way too many assumptions here. First off, no matter what the numbers tell you the weak link is going to be that small motor. The OP simply does/will not have enough power to pull anything in any terrain except the flattest of the mid west with no wind. Add his probably 3.42 rear end ratio and he will be a hindrance on every on ramp he comes to. To the OP. stick with your original plan or get more truck.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
The OP, John, originally asked:

Are they correct?

Will I have a problem towing this?

What's important to note in my posts is that he is fine with regards to the TV ratings - GVWR, GCWR and axle ratings. More importantly, he now has more knowledge if he wishes to recalculate on his own or if he decides to look at a different TT. Much more useful than a simplistic "no" (or even a "yes") without any real explanation.

Most of the answers posted here indicate that he will indeed feel this on hills. That's already been stated. There really is no problem as long as he goes into this purchase understanding that.

As Crocus mentioned - watch the temptation to overload and watch the speed. That's good advice for anyone with any combination TV/TT.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Moderators' Assistant
you'll be near max but if you aren't going in hills/mountains, then you could do it safely.
the 4298 number sounds right for factory UVW. i have a Roo 23SS and tow with an Avalanche with a 5.3 v-8 and 3.73 rear end.
as others have said, your truck was set up for gas mileage, more than for towing, that's why your tow numbers are so small.

but i think if you pack carefully and don't carry a lot of water, you should be under 5000lbs.
but you'll hate it if you have to tow on any incline.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
One always opens pandora's box with the Question: Can my F-150,1500 pull this camper? As Triguy least one has more information than they started with because of the varying responses.

BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote