Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #61

No grease for me

When I first started in the RV lifestyle started greasing the hitch and/or ball. When I had our 5th wheel greased the plate and then bought one of those silicone disks from Camping World that worked great. Back to the ball . . . my Father-in-law has been around the block or two told me the grease attracts dirt and not worth it. After trying it with and without, I agree with him. H have two gooseneck trailers and 3 bumper pull trailers, along with a tow dolly for my motorhome. Have not used grease on anything in the last 15 years and no problems . . . Only road noise I get is from those factory "hub caps" that rattle my brain.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbuckeye View Post
When I first started in the RV lifestyle started greasing the hitch and/or ball. When I had our 5th wheel greased the plate and then bought one of those silicone disks from Camping World that worked great. Back to the ball . . . my Father-in-law has been around the block or two told me the grease attracts dirt and not worth it. After trying it with and without, I agree with him. H have two gooseneck trailers and 3 bumper pull trailers, along with a tow dolly for my motorhome. Have not used grease on anything in the last 15 years and no problems . . . Only road noise I get is from those factory "hub caps" that rattle my brain.
1) Always respect your Father and Father-in-law and ponder heavily all of their advise as good advise.

2) metal on metal, is still metal on metal.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #63
Insert witty title here

Use the same dry lube that goes on slide rails. It will lubricate pretty good and dirt won't stick.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #64
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I keep reading the phrase... "grease attracts dirt."

If your hands look like this after greasing your hitch ball, you are using too much and yes, it will attract dirt.

But come on... it only takes a very small amount.
How complicated (or simple) can it really be.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #65

I use Slip Plate heavy duty dry film graphite lubricant. It is in a spray can and goes on wet but drys very fast. When dry you can handle it all you want and it will not rub off to you or your clothing. Dirt and dust will not stick to it when it drys 30 - 60 seconds to dry. I also use it to lube the equalizer hitch moving parts that they recommend to lubricate.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SLIP-PLAT...&wl13=&veh=sem

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post

Hello Springerdad,
Each statement is correct.
Each statement is different.
325BH stated that using a WDH there is more pressure (down and upward force) on the ball/coupler. (remember that the thread is about greasing the ball).

The more Pressure that is put on the ball/couple, the more Shifting/transfer of Weight to the back of the TT and the front of the TV.

Both statements are correct.
Thank you for pointing that out. I drew a little picture of a WDH setup and,,, well,,, duh. NOW I get it. 325BH is totally correct. The ball is the fulcrum for putting weight back to the front of the TV and back to the TT axles. That's a LOT of pressure on the ball. The ball may be hardened steel, but the coupler is only a mild steel stamping from what I can guess. All the MORE reason to lube the ball.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #67

Graphite works really good. I used to use it in both dry form and wet in my industry. That's a good idea TimVWulp.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #68

I keep a light coat of grease on mine.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:19 PM   #69

I use Slip Plate heavy duty dry film graphite lubricant. It is in a spray can and goes on wet but drys very fast. When dry you can handle it all you want and it will not rub off to you or your clothing. Dirt and dust will not stick to it when it drys 30 - 60 seconds to dry. I also use it to lube the equalizer hitch moving parts that they recommend to lubricate. Ops looks like Walmart dose not carry the aerosol cans any more found it on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Slip-Plate-Pl.../dp/B005ESITFQ

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
I use Slip Plate heavy duty dry film graphite lubricant. It is in a spray can and goes on wet but drys very fast. When dry you can handle it all you want and it will not rub off to you or your clothing. Dirt and dust will not stick to it when it drys 30 - 60 seconds to dry. I also use it to lube the equalizer hitch moving parts that they recommend to lubricate. Ops looks like Walmart dose not carry the aerosol cans any more found it on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Slip-Plate-Pl.../dp/B005ESITFQ

Hope This Helps Tim
Does that by chance come with a straw ???
Thinking it would be good to use on slids ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #71

I typically will use chassis grease- it is what I tend to have the majority of the time handy. I was a doubter of doing this until I purchased a trailer from work. We never grease trailer balls at work however, I purchased a used trailer from work and you could see the top of the A frame coupler was worn thin enough that a small circle had formed from the ball rubbing the coupler. I immediately replaced the coupler and now I lube all my balls when towing- doesn't matter what trailer I am using. I even do the ones at work when towing now even though the company doesn't require us to.

Kris & Alicia
2001 Ford F250 CC LWB 4X4 PSD
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sierra 32QBBS
noslofivoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer