Old 08-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #31
phat phrog stunt crew

regardless of whether or not its a 5th wheel or travel trailer, the longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up. notice i didnt say get it ino a site, just easier to back up. it all depends on where the trailer axles are in relation to the hitch. axles close in to tv, and it will turn very quickly. further away, and it will respond slower, but be easier to control.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
regardless of whether or not its a 5th wheel or travel trailer, the longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up. notice i didnt say get it ino a site, just easier to back up. it all depends on where the trailer axles are in relation to the hitch. axles close in to tv, and it will turn very quickly. further away, and it will respond slower, but be easier to control.
That is what makes fifth wheels easier to position in tight spots.
I have towed both, and the fifth wheel is definitely my preferred all around choice. Simply too many advantages to list.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #33

No sway and they pull so nicely, the fivers are my choice. Backing up was a little harder in the beginning but after a little pratice about the same. Having pulled both, its a fiver all the way.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #34

One of each and I much prefer the TT. WIthout the proper hitch setup, it does have more sway, though. The bonus to the 5er is more storage space in the basement, easier/quicker hookup, more headroom in most of the coach, and they are generally not as long (as a complete rig). The bonus to the TT is they are lower (think tree limbs and storage buildings) and they can often turn much tighter (think backing in on a turn).
Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A 5er is waaay easier to back than a tt.

If My dw wife can do it ...(and does it well) any man should be embarrassed that he can't or atleast learn how.

She once hauled our tt 150 miles , backed it in and leveled it in a torrential down pour.

Just sayin
Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #36

"Sway" and "Sway Control"

There are 100's of RV-er's with the experience of hauling TT & FW, and when it comes to TT most accurately comment about "SWAY" and "SWAY CONTROL". But, there are very few RV-er's who UNDERSTAND how the HENSLEY HITCH eliminates sway. Yes, ELIMINATES sway, they eliminate the ball and tie your trailer into your truck in such a way that you can run 70-75 mph down hill and the trailer will not let you know that it is there trying to sway, sway is ELIMINATED. Also, when you disconnect, the hitch stays on the trailer and you are off to buy the beer, not wrestling 50lbs of steel !! "dealing with the WD hitch" is simply using an electric drill to spin the nuts on the struts, and your box is empty.
Yes, if you enjoy the floorplan of a FW buy a 3/4 ton plus and enjoy. If you have a beefed up 1/2 ton, and do not want to take a 3/4 ton to get the groceries the rest of the year then buy the high end TT and a high end hitch like the Hensley and enjoy. The tow will be enjoyable and not like the experience that most people quote that they had before moving "up" to the FW. But, to often, the "up" was very important and they will never be convinced that you can actually move "over" to a well appointed, roomy, costly, 30 foot plus TT, as long as you set it up with a Hensley type hitch and an electric jack.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #37

Over the years I've owned a 5th wheel, seven travel trailers, a couple of slide in truck campers, and a couple of class "C" motorhomes. If money wasn't an object I'd have a diesel pusher motorhome now instead of a TT though...

I lock the WDH on the TT, find the loose spot with the elect jack when unhooking, and unpin the receiver hitch. I usually just push the truck forward until the hitch falls out of the receiver then just leave all of the WDH connected to the TT. I've done it so much over the years it's second nature, easy to do, both hooking and unhooking.

Never forget pulling the latch on the 5th wheel hitch bout the time I remembered I hadn't put the jacks down, fortunately it didn't roll out and crush the back of the truck like I've seen others do over the years. I never forgot it again after that episode though....whew.

The first time I backed the 5th wheel into a site was hilarious. I actually did find a parking lot before the next outing, and practiced backing it until I got comfortable. Still not as easy for me to back as a TT though. That being said I was pulling a 25' 5th wheel with a Ford Ranger, maybe that had something to do with it as well.