Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #1

To those who have towed a FW and a TT

I am trying to get a better sense concerning "FW's pull nicer". I know so much depends on the actual setup with the truck. We have looked at dozens of floor plans in both the FW and TT. Other than the ceiling height advantage, many TT are on par with the lighter weight FW's in terms of layout. In fact, when you go to some higher end TT with 3 slides, they offer more room and features than a FW in the same weight class.

We purchased our new Eco with Max Tow and HD payload thinking FW all the way. But now, I'm not so sure. Yes, we can pull a number of 5ers out there but we could also pull one hec of a TT. The Rockwood Windjammer 3008W is one impressive design for what we are looking for in terms of design and space.

So, max out the truck for a nicer ride and pull, or go with a higher end TT and travel hitched up no where near the truck's max specs.
Just thought I'd throw this one out there for comments.
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #2

Sounds like you have your mind made up. I towed a TT and now I tow a FW. I think I would have stayed with the TT but my curiosity and desire to own a FW won out. I'm not sure there is an advantage of one over the other but I expect other members will beg to differ.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Owned and pulled both. TT gives you the advantage of having the truck bed. I have a hard cover on my truck now. 5th wheel is easier for one person to hitch. The list goes on. Numerous threads on here, might want to try a search and read some of them.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Owned and pulled both. TT gives you the advantage of having the truck bed. I have a hard cover on my truck now. 5th wheel is easier for one person to hitch. The list goes on. Numerous threads on here, might want to try a search and read some of them.
X2 on everything you say and I still have a hard cover on my truck even when I tow the 5th wheel.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Sounds like you have your mind made up. I towed a TT and now I tow a FW. I think I would have stayed with the TT but my curiosity and desire to own a FW won out. I'm not sure there is an advantage of one over the other but I expect other members will beg to differ.
No, we really have not decided. I'm aware of the pros and cons like truck bed available, turning capability etc. Guys that pull 5ers say they pull nicer. What are they referring too?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #6

We went from a small 20' TT with a 1/2 ton truck, to a 5th and a 1 ton. Just this past June we traded out 5th on a Windjammer 3001W.
There is a difference in the tow between the two. The 5th was a toy hauler and was very heavy and very tall. We had to watch out for low tree limbs and other overhead objects allot more. The setup we had also there was a lot of bucking between the truck and trailer. That could have been caused by the hitch I used (I used a 5th to goose-neck adapter). The Windjammer we now have pulls very smooth with no problems using my 1 ton.
One of the biggest thing we like about a TT vs a 5th is that we don't bump our heads in the bedroom anymore, I know you can get 5ers that have good head clearance, but that is just more sticking up in the air. Also no stairs in the TT. Less outside storage in a TT, but now my pick-up bed is open and we put a camper topper on it so I have more than enough storage.
I know some think that getting a 5th is an upgrade, but it's not necessarily true. We got our 3001W in June and my in-laws liked it so much they traded their Montana 5th and ordered a 3008W.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
5th wheel is easier for one person to hitch.
I have the rear view camera on our truck. I pulled a friends trailer last weekend. I was by myself and I was amazed with camera resolution as I backed up once and put the ball directly under the hitch. Just turned off the back-up collision sensor.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #8

I installed a back-up camera in my truck as well and it is great. It helps allot in hooking up all my trailers.
Also I picked up about 4 mpg with the new trailer, half the weight and allot less wind resistance.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
I know some think that getting a 5th is an upgrade, but it's not necessarily true. We got our 3001W in June and my in-laws liked it so much they traded their Montana 5th and ordered a 3008W.
Yes, would have to agree 100% with this. Height does not mean better or an upgrade. In the same price range, you get a lot more TT. Fifth wheels are definitely an upgrade when you get into the heavier, full size units weighing in the low to mid teens. And we have looked at some beauties that only a 3/4 or 1 ton could tow.

I should have asked my question in reference to 1/2 ton trucks!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
No, we really have not decided. I'm aware of the pros and cons like truck bed available, turning capability etc. Guys that pull 5ers say they pull nicer. What are they referring too?
Hard to explain, I pulled a tt since 1976 with fully capable hitches & trucks and just got the 12Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5th wheel and after adding the shocks to the trailer, the truck rides a lot smoother than any truck did pulling the tt. There is very, very, if any sway from passing vehicles and the whole rig is so much more stable in every way than a tt.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #11

We have owned three types of RV's. Started out with a 31' 7000lb TT, then a 40' 12500lb 5th and now our MH. For me towing the 5th was easier. We used a Ram/Cummings and the ride was smoother, less affected by crosswinds and semi's even thought the 5th was 13 1/2' tall. Plus hooking up/unhooking was easier not having to deal with the WD hitch. For me it is all about how easy it is to set up and tear down camp, 5th was easier and quicker than TT and the MH is even half the time plus on long drives I just pull over and walk a few feet and make lunch. One thing to also think about a lot of 5’ers came be ordered with a generator or prewired so there is one less item to haul around.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
phat phrog stunt crew

traded an 07 copper canyon tt on a 31 rets sabre 5th wheel. sabre easier to hook up, no wd hitches to mess with or store when at the site, tons more storage in 5ver, much more manuverable in the storage yard, my cul de sac and the couple of campgrounds i have been to since we bought it a month ago.

i did invest in an electric winch for the garage so it s basically a 1 man show for hooking/unhooking and installing/uninstalling hitch.

we looked at tt with opposeable slides in living room and a bedroom slide as well, but kept coming back to a 5th wheel. prices were about the same, and storage access won out in the end. same size 5th wheel as tt overall, but the where pin is located, it feels like a smaller trailer when backing up.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #13

IMO, what you are asking is very subjective. I have towed both for a number of years, properly equipped and setup there really is not a lot of difference. In a TT you tend to have to deal with a little more sway, in a 5th the sway (still there) is limited due to the higher weight resting on the TV vs being behind it. I think some confuse this with easier to tow. Bottom line is pick the floor plan that you like best, equipment the TV correctly and go camping.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #14

I have not seen a 5er that I would pull with a 1/2 ton pickup! Oh unless a Scamp or Casita. I read of people that are going or are pulling a 10,000 lb 5er with an F150! Not me! My 31' V-Cross fiver is listed as one that can be pulled with a 1/2 ton pickup! They must be kidding, I would be over the limits with pin weight and axle weight! They should not be allowed to put that in print!
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

I towed both as well and had no issues with either as far as handling and sway.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

With towing tt for over 36 yrs and now after towing the 5er to Orlando & back, I wouldn't trade back for a tt regardless of price or floorplan. 5er is a pleasure to tow.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
With towing tt for over 36 yrs and now after towing the 5er to Orlando & back, I wouldn't trade back for a tt regardless of price or floorplan. 5er is a pleasure to tow.
Agree
Old 08-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #18

I think camper_Lucy sums the essence of my inquiry. Very subjective. Spec the TV correctly and go travel!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #19

There is so much geometry difference in the two types of combos that most people just can't grasp it. The properly installed FW hitch will have the the king pin (which is the pivot point between the trailer and the towing vehicle) located slightly forward of the rear axle of the TV. When the TV steers right the pivot point also move to the right. On a TT setup the ball hitch is the pivot point. When the TV steers right the overhang from the rear axle of the TV back to the pivot point causes the TT to steer to the left. My opinion, this is the greatest difference in the handling characteristics of the two. I have owned two of each. I would never go back to a TT.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #20

Just to add one point, for an equal floor space, the TV/camper total length is much shorter with a fifth wheel, as so much of it is over the truck. The bumper hitch camper's living area only starts 5 feet behind the bumper.
That, plus the location of the pivot point, makes a fifth wheel so much easier to maneuver, which can be a very big deal at times.
And if you are pulling with an Ecoboost with max tow, it really isn't a 1/2 ton anyway!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote