Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #1

To tow or not to tow, that is the question

Alright folks, I need some help to think this towing thing through.

I'm picking up my new Sunseeker 2290S on Saturday. I've been pretty set on towing my Jeep Wrangler but as Im going to be traveling solo (with my dog and 2 cats), I'm starting to have second thoughts.

I'm going to be on the road for long stretches of time, so towing would not only allow me to leave camp and get to more remote places more easily, but it also provides me with a back-up if the motorhome breaks down.

However, I'm a little anxious about managing the tow set-up alone ( how do I check that the lights all work?) and potential issue of getting stuck (what if I mess up a turn and have to jump out to unhook the Jeep?).

Would love any thoughts on pros/cons of towing, and any tips from other solo travelers who tow.
alexisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:30 AM   #2
Land of the Midnightsun

we tow a jeep couldn't imagine leaving home with out it. Most towing set ups these days are pretty fool proof. After you hook up flip your lights on in your Moho then run back check jeep then flip blinker one way then other. I turn 4 way on and take look at jeep tail lights. But towing is no prob. Yes you can get stuck but just look ahead and plan your turns in your head and you'll do fine. Fuel stops or gas stations are the worst. I have no prob hesitating little before I pull in. But you'll get hang of it
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:23 AM   #3

If your tow setup is such that it takes more then one person to do it you need to get rid of that setup. The big name tow bars are all setup for one person operation. you check your lights the same way you check your lights on your Sunseeker before traveling. I towed for years by myself behind my class A without problems, the biggest thing you need to worry is the cats getting out when you hookup
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
we tow a jeep couldn't imagine leaving home with out it. Most towing set ups these days are pretty fool proof. After you hook up flip your lights on in your Moho then run back check jeep then flip blinker one way then other. I turn 4 way on and take look at jeep tail lights. But towing is no prob. Yes you can get stuck but just look ahead and plan your turns in your head and you'll do fine. Fuel stops or gas stations are the worst. I have no prob hesitating little before I pull in. But you'll get hang of it
That's helpful. What set-up are you using for the Jeep? Using a base plate or D rings on an aftermarket bumper?
Old 03-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
If your tow setup is such that it takes more then one person to do it you need to get rid of that setup. The big name tow bars are all setup for one person operation. you check your lights the same way you check your lights on your Sunseeker before traveling. I towed for years by myself behind my class A without problems, the biggest thing you need to worry is the cats getting out when you hookup
Ok good to know. How do you check the brake lights?

Cats will be crated while traveling, so I'm less worried about that.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #6
Land of the Midnightsun

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	133401

I used blue ox base plate , it bolts to frame you do have to drill couple hole but it very easy. I chose not to go with after market bumper due to weight. Some of them are 150lb - 200lb
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
Land of the Midnightsun

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	133402
Old 03-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
llr

typically you will only run a 4 wire connector from the MH to Jeep. so if you 4 ways work so do your brake lights unless there is a malfunction in the MH, possible but unlikely.
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisc View Post
Ok good to know. How do you check the brake lights?

Cats will be crated while traveling, so I'm less worried about that.
When you check your turn signals, you are also checking your brake lights. They both use the same filament in the bulb. I think your flashers do the same but Im not sure. If so, then you could check them both with only one trip back behind the Jeep.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
When you check your turn signals, you are also checking your brake lights. They both use the same filament in the bulb. I think your flashers do the same but Im not sure. If so, then you could check them both with only one trip back behind the Jeep.
I would run left turn then right turn. If you only test with flashers on it is possible to have MH left turn on with TOAD right turn on and vice versa. Bet that would freak some people out! Be sure to turn on headlights and make sure tail lights are working, too.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #11

Tow, tow, tow

Think about it. If you don't tow you will be stuck at the campground and be screwed. To not tow is not even an option if you use common sense.
Magdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
7 Year Class A RV'er

You've got the perfect toad - bring it along. Once you get it set up, it's a breeze to hook and unhook alone and you probably won't even know it's there when you're pulling it. Before I retired we were only using the RV for two weeks a year and it was cheaper to rent when needed. In retirement, we're on the road about 25% of the time and the toad us priceless. As for equipment, we went Blue Ox all the way and an Invisibrake setup. Two years and about 17,000 miles later we still love it.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:28 PM   #13

Check the brakes of the toad the same way I do my trailer. The brakes controller I have now energizes the brake lights when I slide the manual slider. I slide it a little and hold it with a key between the slider and the controller body. I then walk around and verify brakes. My old controller doesn't do that so I jammed a snow brush between the seat and the brake pedal to actuate the brake lights. Either way requires me to walk around and I check turn signals, hazards, brakes and tail lights. I do signal and hazards because my truck uses different relays for turn signals and hazards.
POS Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #14

I drag a FW around so towing a jeep is not gonna happen, but I have seen what happens without a toad behind a HM and would not wish it on anyone.

Take the Jeep so you can sightsee go shopping or whatever else you want or need to do.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:07 PM   #15

Go for it!!!

We had some of the same concerns as you when we first thought about a toad. We now tow a 2012 Jeep Liberty with out Sunseeker 2500TS. We use a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar with a Blue Ox Patriot Brake controller and a Blue Ox base plate. The Jeep is one of the easiest there is to set up and I did the majority of work myself (except for the base plate). A body shop had to replace the front bumper cover, so it was a no-brainer to have them install the plate. Connecting, it is a one person job including checking the toad lights.

The one suggestion is to also install an IVbrake battery tender ($60). The Sunseeker is wired for an active 12 volt power supply on the 7-pin wire harness and there is a spare pin on the 5-pin to the toad. The 12 volt is powered only when the TV ignition is in the on position. Extremely easy install. You will never arrive with a dead toad battery.

DW was at first reluctant to consider a toad. But once she realized the convenience, it was all go. Unless your livin' off the land, you are going to make multiple trips to the grocery store. We don't eat anything processed out of a can. On our 3 month jaunt to Florida, she has nothing but praise for our Jeep toad. Once we parked the MH, it didn't move until we were ready to head back. We shopped, toured, went fishing, to theaters, etc., all with the toad. We were on the go daily.

There was only one time that we got into a predicament where it was difficult to turn around. We got off at an exchange that had no service station appropriate for enter/exit with a toad. We drove several miles and turned around in a church parking lot. A minor inconvenience, but we got to see a little more in the process.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
Nice rig.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
typically you will only run a 4 wire connector from the MH to Jeep. so if you 4 ways work so do your brake lights unless there is a malfunction in the MH, possible but unlikely.
I still have to learn all this. Will probably go to a shop to have them teach me about the light stuff.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdeep View Post
Think about it. If you don't tow you will be stuck at the campground and be screwed. To not tow is not even an option if you use common sense.
hahah, I like the way you think.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
You've got the perfect toad - bring it along. Once you get it set up, it's a breeze to hook and unhook alone and you probably won't even know it's there when you're pulling it. Before I retired we were only using the RV for two weeks a year and it was cheaper to rent when needed. In retirement, we're on the road about 25% of the time and the toad us priceless. As for equipment, we went Blue Ox all the way and an Invisibrake setup. Two years and about 17,000 miles later we still love it.
Thanks for the encouragement - I guess I just need to figure out all the details now
Old 03-31-2017, 09:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Camaro View Post
Check the brakes of the toad the same way I do my trailer. The brakes controller I have now energizes the brake lights when I slide the manual slider. I slide it a little and hold it with a key between the slider and the controller body. I then walk around and verify brakes. My old controller doesn't do that so I jammed a snow brush between the seat and the brake pedal to actuate the brake lights. Either way requires me to walk around and I check turn signals, hazards, brakes and tail lights. I do signal and hazards because my truck uses different relays for turn signals and hazards.
Jamming something against the brake was what I assume people do to check the brake lights. It sounds like there may be an easier way but it's hard for me to picture it when people describe what they do.